Author Topic: TPIR & GR dot NET Present: The Amazing "Race" Game  (Read 581 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
TPIR & GR dot NET Present: The Amazing "Race" Game
« on: August 05, 2021, 09:45:46 PM »
Greetings Everybody!

Probably not my best attempt for a title, but that's what I went with.  Anyway, for those that have participated in the Survival Games in the past, this may be a nice treat for you if you enjoyed those games.  At least I think/hope so!

In honor of the Price is Right's upcoming 50th season, and because Survivor had a game named after it, and, like TPIR, given the fact that The Amazing Race has a fleet of emmy victories, I figured that The Amazing Race should have its own game.

Given how the object of Survivor is to vote off everyone until there's one person left, leading to voting people out of survival games, since the object of The Amazing Race (TAR) is to race to the finish line (with teams get eliminated in the process), there should be a game where the object is to go as high as possible.

As a result, rather than taking away points from teams (or, in this case, pricing games) as the main objective, in this game, the main objective is to give as many points as possible to every pricing game. Of course, you can subtract points from the teams, and I'll get into that real soon.

How high can one get? Well, as high as possible, or until a pricing game reaches a certain amount of points that I'm going to get into real soon. Also, at least one team will be dropping out of this competition not too long from now.

General Stuff:
  • Each pricing game starts at 0.
  • The object of the game is to add a certain number of points, or to subtract a certain number of points from up to ten pricing games per post (five at 20 or less pricing games left).
  • The number of points to subtract is always half the number of points you would add to a pricing game should to choose to do so.
  • Keep in mind that it's possible that pricing games could be in the hole (as in under 0, or at a negative number of points).
  • There are eight levels in terms of how many to add or subtract, called Take or Give Levels (or TOG Levels).

We'll start at 5 to Take and 10 to Give, and here's the schedule of how they'll increase:

Level 1: 5 & 10 (5 to take, 10 to give)
Level 2: 10 & 20: 10 to take, 20 to give (starts after someone reaches 100)
Level 3: 15 & 30: 15 to take, 30 to give (starts after someone reaches 300)
Level 4: 20 & 40: 20 to take, 40 to give (starts after someone reaches 600)
Level 5: 25 & 50: 25 to take, 50 to give (starts after someone reaches 1000)
Level 6: 50 & 100: 50 to take, 100 to give (starts after someone reaches 1500)
Level 7: 75 & 150: 75 to take, 150 to give (starts after someone reaches 2500)
Level 8: 100 & 200: 100 to take, 200 to give (starts after someone reaches 4000)

Points needed to increase the TOG levels.

100 points
300 points
600 points
1000 points
1500 points
2500 points
4000 points

Things to remember:
  • When one pricing game reaches the number of points mentioned above, then the TOG levels increase.
  • Keep in mind that this only applies to the first pricing game to reach the stated target points

Elimination Points:

• TOG Level I (5 & 10)
  • Whenever a pricing game reaches 100 points in the first TOG Level, then the pricing game that is trailing (on the plus side) will be eliminated.
  • Also (and this is important), any pricing games that are in the hole will also be out of the game.
  • The only exception is if it'll result in less than 25 pricing games remaining in the contest.
  • TOG Level II (10 & 20)
  • Whenever a pricing game reaches 300 points in the second TOG Level, then the pricing game that is trailing (with 50 or more points) will be eliminated.
  • Also (and this is important), any pricing games that have less than 50 points, will also be out of the game.
  • The only exception is if it'll result in less than 20 pricing games remaining in the contest.
  • TOG Level III (15 & 30)
  • Whenever a pricing game reaches 600 points in the third TOG Level, then the pricing game that is trailing (with 100 or more points) will be eliminated.
  • Also (and this is important), any pricing games that have less than 100 points, will also be out of the game.
  • The only exception is if it'll result in less than 15 pricing games remaining in the contest.
  • TOG Level IV (20 & 40)
  • Whenever a pricing game reaches 1000 points in the second TOG Level, then the pricing game that is trailing (with 50 or more points) will be eliminated.
  • Also (and this is important), any pricing games that have less than 175 points, will also be out of the game.
  • The only exception is if it'll result in less than 10 pricing games remaining in the contest.
  • TOG Level V (25 & 50)
  • Whenever a pricing game reaches 1500 points in the fifth TOG Level, then the pricing game that is trailing (with 250 or more points) will be eliminated.
  • Also (and this is important), any pricing games that have less than 250 points, will also be out of the game.
  • The only exception is if it'll result in less than 5 pricing games remaining in the contest.
  • TOG Level VI (50 & 100)
  • Whenever a pricing game reaches 2500 points in the sixth TOG Level, then the Top Four Pricing Games will advance to the next TOG Level, with the remaining trailing pricing game eliminated from the competition.
  • Also (and again this is important), should there be a tie between whomever's in 4th place, then the pricing game that had points deducted first in the current game will be out (unless both pricing games had points deducted simultaneously, in which case the tiebreaker goes to the pricing game that had points added on first.  If both pricing games had points deducted simultaneously in addition to having points deducted at the same time, then the tiebreaker will be voter’s choice).
  • Again, when all is said and done here, there should be 4 pricing games left at the end of this TOG Level and prior to the start of TOG Level VII.
  • TOG Level VII (75 & 150)
  • The first pricing game to reach 4000 points will result in all trailing pricing games to be out of the game (should just be one pricing game), until there are three pricing games left. There should be four pricing game at the start of this penultimate level, so whoever is currently in fourth will be out of the game. Should there be a tie, then the pricing game that had points deducted first in the current game will be out (unless both pricing games had points deducted simultaneously, in which case the tiebreaker goes to the pricing game that had points added on first.  If both pricing games had points deducted simultaneously in addition to having points deducted at the same time, then the tiebreaker will be voter’s choice). Following this, we will be down to three pricing games, which means we'll move to the final TOG level in place, which is:
  • TOG Level VIII (100 & 200)
  • It's a race to the finish, and given the rather large increase (triple digits) of the TOG Levels, starting at this Level, it could be all said and done in as few as 10 set of votes.
  • However, there's a chance that the TOG levels could increase if necessary. I'll worry about that when the time comes to worry about it. The first pricing game to reach 6000 points will be the winner.

Non-Elimination Info

• Finally, in an attempt to "channel" the Non-Elimination segments of the Amazing Race, during the TOG level-increase when teams (or in this case, pricing games) could end of being eliminated, someone can bring someone over to the plus side if that team is in the hole.  At that point, the pricing games would have a second chance at redemption or victory with a certain point total based on what its point total was prior to its elimination.   For example, if a pricing game is out of the game with a score of -50, then in bringing that pricing game back into the game will result in a score of +50 (or just simply 50). On a better note, if a pricing game is out of the game with a score 50 (aka +50), then bringing that pricing game back into the game will results in a score of twice as many points, or +100 (100).
  • However, this can only happen 5 times throughout the entire game, as in 5 times total (not 5 per participant or voter), and it can only occur after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th Elimination Points, or upon a pricing game reaching (300, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2500 points respectively).
  • Another option is if a pricing game is in the trailing spot prior to the Elimination Point, then you can choose to keep that pricing game in the game in exchange (or in place) of bringing a team from "Sequesterville" back into the game.  In Sequesterville, that is a term used within the show, in reference to the participates no longer in the game

Miscellaneous Notes:
  • It is possible to have one pricing game tied for last place in terms of the cutoff points per level.  Each pricing game in that spot would be subject to elimination, or Philimination, which my TAR friends have verbalized over the past couple of decades.  That obviously came from the star of the show, and was used by one of the racers from the beginning of the show’s run.
  • Sparing a particular pricing game from elimination more than once is an option.  Based on the rules, it is not possible to do so twice or multiple times between levels.
  • It is possible to have 5 pricing games in the penultimate level, but only if someone uses his or her right to save a team or revive a pricing game from the booted list at the end of Level VI and the start of Level VII
  • Finally, I guess you could have two or more pricing games reach the winning total simultaneously with the same score.  I made reference to that above, and currently it would be unprecedented

I apologize in advance if the nature or the length of the rules/explanation of this game is complicated.  I thought it was necessary so as to cover each point of the game.  If all goes quite well, and if you have any questions (or even a recommendation), please don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck everybody!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPIR & GR dot NET Present: The Amazing "Race" Game
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 09:55:47 PM »
Here's the list of Participants.  This first game on the site features 80 of the 110 pricing games in the shows half-century history.  That includes 3 games that lasted more than 20 years while in the active rotation, in addition to the seventy-seven active pricing games:

Any Number: 0
Five Price Tags: 0
Golden Road: 0
Clock Game: 0
Ten Chances: 0
Race Game: 0
Pathfinder: 0
Cliffhangers: 0
Grand Game: 0
Bonus Game: 0
3 Strikes: 0
Check-Out: 0
Dice Game: 0
Grocery Game: 0
It's in the Bag: 0
Poker Game: 0
Shell Game: 0
Money Game: 0
Make Your Move: 0
One Away: 0
Rat Race: 0
Temptation: 0
Plinko: 0
Spelling Bee: 0
Cover Up: 0
Hole In One: 0
Master Key: 0
Time i$ Money: 0
Pocket Change: 0
Punch-a-Bunch: 0
Danger Price: 0
Hi-Lo: 0
Card Game: 0
Bullseye: 0
Magic #: 0
Push Over: 0
Hit Me: 0
Switcheroo: 0
Check Game: 0
Take Two: 0
Vend-o-Price: 0
Gas Money: 0
Bonkers: 0
Safe Crackers: 0
Lucky $even: 0
Let 'em Roll: 0
1/2 Off: 0
Now...or Then: 0
Most Expensive: 0
Pick-a-Pair: 0
Balance Game: 0
Eazy as 1-2-3: 0
Swap Meet: 0
Shopping Spree: 0
Do the Math: 0
More Or Less: 0
Hot Seat: 0
Side by Side: 0
Line 'Em Up: 0
Squeeze Play: 0
Bargain Game: 0
Switch?: 0
Flip Flop: 0
Secret "X": 0
Freeze Frame: 0
Triple Play: 0
Double Prices: 0
One Right Price: 0
2 for the Price of 1: 0
Penny Ante: 0
Double Cross: 0
Range Game: 0
Coming or Going: 0
Pass the Buck: 0
One Wrong Price: 0
Pay the Rent: 0
Gridlock!: 0
Stack the Deck: 0
That's Too Much!: 0
Pick-a-Number: 0

FYI, you may choose to take or give points to up to 10 pricing games.  Keep in mind that once we get down to 20 pricing games (or less), it's goes from 10 down to 5 pricing games per set of votes.  In addition you may play the game up to twice a day. However, one set of TOG'S each time you submit something, and you can't double post. 

I recently considered making it 5 times daily or unlimited.  In the past, I've done that.  Typically it's wouldn't happen until later in the game if it lasts 30 days or more.  For now, and to start just a couple times a day.  That way, it'll allow for anyone and everyone (who wants to participate) their chance to play the game

I'll get things started, to show everyone the proper format for this game:

TOG Level I: 5 and 10

Any Number: +10
Five Price Tags: +10
Secret X: -5
Grocery Game: +10
Golden Road: +10
That's Too Much - 5
Bonus Game: +10
Freeze Frame - 5
Clock Game +10
Pocket Change -5

Still in the Race:

Any Number: 10
Five Price Tags: 10
Golden Road: 10
Clock Game: 10
Bonus Game: 10
Grocery Game: 10
Race Game: 0
3 Strikes: 0
Shell Game: 0
Temptation: 0
Plinko: 0
1/2 Off: 0
One Right Price: 0
Pocket Change: -5
Secret "X": -5
That's Too Much!: -5
Pick-a-Number: -5

Out of the Game:

None

If you all have any questions, please ask. This newer game (or a reversal) is a change from the Survival Games IMO, and hopefully it'll work out. I'll try to be around to guide everyone through this new game, so that it runs well. Good luck!

Offline pathfinder20

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 07:08:39 PM »
I will break open the seal:

3 Strikes +10
Shell Game +10

Temptation +5
Race Game +5
Any number +5

Pick a Number -5
One Right Price -5
1/2 Off -5
Plinko -5

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 08:25:43 PM »
Oh my!  I have action!  Thank you pathfinder!  I wish I could’ve seen this and acted immediately upon your post!

A couple of things: while you can subtract five from a pricing game, you can only add twice as much or 10 to a pricing game.   This post (where we stand) will reflect that (adding ten to Temptation, Race Game, and Any Number).

I appreciate separating what you’re adding (or giving) to what you’re subtracting (or taking).  Makes things look simpler.

Pathfinder20's "votes" factor into the following list

Still in the Race:

Any Number: 20
Five Price Tags: 10
Golden Road: 10
Clock Game: 10
Bonus Game: 10
Grocery Game: 10
3 Strikes: 10
Shell Game: 10
Race Game: 10
Temptation: 10
Plinko: -5
1/2 Off: -5
One Right Price: -5
Pocket Change: -5
Secret "X": -5
That's Too Much!: -5
Pick-a-Number: -10

Out of the Game:

None

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:27:21 PM »
Now for (one of) my picks for the day

Give +10

Golden Road
Ten Chances
Spelling Bee
Check Game

Take -5

Secret X
Stack The Deck