Author Topic: Dice Game verbiage  (Read 2291 times)

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Dice Game verbiage
« on: June 14, 2021, 02:48:31 AM »
In the playing of Deluxe Dice Game that just aired on PlutoTV, the contestant rolled a 6 and mistakenly said "higher." Bob gave her a chance to correct herself...then warned her that he wouldn't be doing so for the remaining digits.

I found this interesting because, by the time I started watching TPiR (mid-90s), Bob had stopped asking contestants the higher/lower question whenever they rolled a 1 or 6, instead prompting them with "but you know that it is..." I wonder when exactly he changed his phrasing? Drew, of course, doesn't even bother with that prompt and just has the box lit up automatically.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Dice Game verbiage
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 06:46:50 AM »

Questions like these are hard to determine, similar to when they started to use multiple dings for a correct guess on Lucky $even and Any Number, which happened at about the same time. It was definitely after they introduced the next set at the end of 1989.

Another question regarding verbiage is when Bob would introduce the rules involving the 0's and numbers higher than 6. Originally, he would wait until after the first roll (provided it wasn't in the price) to explain to the contestant by saying "Let me tell you that there are no numbers higher than 6, and there are no 0's in the price." Eventually, Bob would always explain that rule at the start of the game. From what we've seen on Pluto, both instances of this description have been seen, but probably around the time Rod began announcing, the explanation at the start of the game became permanent. Perhaps due to situations like the playing you just saw may have influenced Bob to always explain before the contestant got too involved into the game. I just watched a Kennedy episode and he made the higher than 6/0 rule spiel at the start of the game, while he simply just said "but" after a contestant rolled a 6, assuming she knew the rule.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 05:41:48 PM »

Questions like these are hard to determine, similar to when they started to use multiple dings for a correct guess on Lucky $even and Any Number, which happened at about the same time. It was definitely after they introduced the next set at the end of 1989.

Another question regarding verbiage is when Bob would introduce the rules involving the 0's and numbers higher than 6. Originally, he would wait until after the first roll (provided it wasn't in the price) to explain to the contestant by saying "Let me tell you that there are no numbers higher than 6, and there are no 0's in the price." Eventually, Bob would always explain that rule at the start of the game. From what we've seen on Pluto, both instances of this description have been seen, but probably around the time Rod began announcing, the explanation at the start of the game became permanent. Perhaps due to situations like the playing you just saw may have influenced Bob to always explain before the contestant got too involved into the game. I just watched a Kennedy episode and he made the higher than 6/0 rule spiel at the start of the game, while he simply just said "but" after a contestant rolled a 6, assuming she knew the rule.

I almost wonder if someone DID end up losing because of a situation like this since the contestant was told they'd not get a mulligan like that again, causing the way things were done to be changed to avoid that as a result. I'd not be surprised....

Also, Lucky $even and Any Number used multiple dings? I can't imagine that lasted long.....it seems like it'd be very very awkward. I never knew they did that.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 05:46:53 PM »
I think I recall hearing a quick ding-ding if a number chosen in Any Number went into the price of the car. Not sure about Lucky $even though.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 07:05:59 PM »
I think I recall hearing a quick ding-ding if a number chosen in Any Number went into the price of the car. Not sure about Lucky $even though.
Pretty sure I've heard them do a "ding-ding" in Lucky Seven, if someone gave an exact number.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 07:29:55 PM »
Pretty sure I've heard them do a "ding-ding" in Lucky Seven, if someone gave an exact number.

Just checked Carey era playings of both from 2019, and they indeed did/do use the "ding-ding" for correct guesses. I guess I never realized, mea culpa on my part.