Studio 33 - Price is Right Discussion > The TALK Is Right

The End of an Era: June 15, 2007

(1/3) > >>

Combs:
Fourteen years ago, Bob Barker's final episode of The Price Is Right aired on CBS. (The show taped nine days earlier on June 6th.) Lots of us, dare I say most of us, were dreading that day. We knew the show would never be on the same level of excellence it had been the previous 35 years with Barker. At least Bob is still with us at the age of 97 and that is definitely something to be thankful for.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_e5u8gdVNM

pannoni1:
To me, this moment represents the transition from growing up to entering the real world as this episode aired just weeks after I received my B.S. from UMBC, where I would watch some episode of Bob's final seasons between classes like so many other college students did at the time.

It was also the very last episode to be billed as "A Mark Goodson Television Production" (not including the Season 44 Decades Week cameos that had George announce it over the Freemantle Media logo), even though the production company had officially had been Freemantle since 2002, when Feud dropped the Goodson credit. This represented a 60+ year span on TV where the recognition of the greatest creator of game shows would come to an end, starting with Winner Take All in 1946 with his partner Bill Todman. Of course on Pluto, we'll soon see the switch from Goodson-Todman Productions to just Mark Goodson Productions.

Still, we have also received an encore from Bob twice in Drew's era, most recently for his 90th birthday in December 2013. Here's hoping Bob will be back one last time for his 100th, even if its just a letter like what Mr. Goodson did.

DylanBe:

--- Quote from: pannoni1 on June 15, 2021, 07:00:45 AM ---To me, this moment represents the transition from growing up to entering the real world as this episode aired just weeks after I received my B.S. from UMBC, where I would watch some episode of Bob's final seasons between classes like so many other college students did at the time.

It was also the very last episode to be billed as "A Mark Goodson Television Production" (not including the Season 44 Decades Week cameos that had George announce it over the Freemantle Media logo), even though the production company had officially had been Freemantle since 2002, when Feud dropped the Goodson credit. This represented a 60+ year span on TV where the recognition of the greatest creator of game shows would come to an end, starting with Winner Take All in 1946 with his partner Bill Todman. Of course on Pluto, we'll soon see the switch from Goodson-Todman Productions to just Mark Goodson Productions.

Still, we have also received an encore from Bob twice in Drew's era, most recently for his 90th birthday in December 2013. Here's hoping Bob will be back one last time for his 100th, even if its just a letter like what Mr. Goodson did.

--- End quote ---
Did you forget about the April Fools' special in 2015 where Bob was brought back to host the first IUFB and Lucky $even as well as help present the second showcase? That would be his most recent encore appearance.

Superballer:

--- Quote from: pannoni1 on June 15, 2021, 07:00:45 AM ---To me, this moment represents the transition from growing up to entering the real world as this episode aired just weeks after I received my B.S. from UMBC, where I would watch some episode of Bob's final seasons between classes like so many other college students did at the time.

--- End quote ---

Well you can take some solace knowing it can still technically be referred to as a Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Production, even if the company in question no longer exists.  I think both men would probably be amazed, but also proud, to know it's still going strong today. 

As for me, on that day, I locked the door to my room at 11, not wanting to miss a minute of the end of an era.  I had a feeling Any Number would be the last game played to complete the circle, and indeed it was.  As a final send-off, it generally worked pretty well in the end. 

SeaBreeze341:

--- Quote from: DylanBe on June 15, 2021, 08:49:23 AM ---Did you forget about the April Fools' special in 2015 where Bob was brought back to host the first IUFB and Lucky $even as well as help present the second showcase? That would be his most recent encore appearance.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, 2015 was Bob’s final appearance to date.  It actually re-aired this past autumn, but Mr. Barker has made three appearances since 06/15/2007.

It’s Fremantle today, but the show will always and forever be a Mark Goodson / Bill Todman production.  FWIW, Bob Stewart created it, G/T developed it, and FM modernized it (IMO).  Personally it was neat seeing Bob’s final bow taking place not just following 50 years of television, but just over 50 years removed from the debut of TPIR overall

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version