Author Topic: "Reactive Budget" - gamesurf's Price is Right  (Read 24695 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
"Reactive Budget" - gamesurf's Price is Right
« on: June 22, 2021, 01:39:04 AM »
"We must consult our means rather than our wishes." -George Washington

Episode number 4 in gamesurf's Price is Right is here! And the theme is going to be inspired by by MSTieScott's "Reactive Budget" special from loooong ago.

The format is the traditional format we all know and love. Six IUFBs, six pricing games, two showcase showdowns, etc. The catch is that the higher-ups have imposed a fixed budget for this show, a figure known only to me and CU.  Rest assured, it is still my mission to give away as much as possible... without going overbudget, of course.

The prize warehouse is stocked with 60-70 prizes of various amounts; all prizes will come from this predetermined list. All six pricing games are finalized, as well as the setups for the first two pricing games. But after that, the prizes and setups are subject to change depending on the shape the budget is in. So if the players in the first half manage to win a lot, that's bad news for the players in the second half... 

• As before, audience participation is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED! Jokes, banter, memes, are ALWAYS welcome! Shouting out prices and advice is welcome, too, at all times except during the IUFBs.
  • I’ll PM you when you are called on down the first time, but after that, it’s your responsibility to check this thread at least once a day! (PM beforehand if you think you may need special circumstances.)
  • All players are on a 24 hour time limit for responses. If you miss your deadline in contestants’ row you get a strike. Two strikes and I reserve the right to call a replacement player the next round in order to give somebody else a chance to participate. Miss your deadline in a pricing game and it’s an auto-loss. So please please please, don’t forget to check the thread!
  • Don’t try to google prices, of course.
  • Do not chew gum on television!
  • And most importantly… have fun!!

If you'd like to play, simply post in this thread and answer an optional audition question. Most entertaining answers will be given preference for the First Four.

The real-life Price is Right is about to celebrate its 50th year on the air; the golden anniversary of TPIR, and you're producing it! Unfortunately, due to belt-tightening at CBS, you don't get a bigger budget, but at least the CBS execs have generously agreed to give you one five-gallon bucket of gold-leaf paint to redecorate any setpieces/props/prizes you wish. How do you use it to make the show feel special?

Sign-ups will close at 11:59 PM EST on Sunday, June 27. Good luck!
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
Re: "Reactive Budget" - gamesurf's Price is Right
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 07:27:40 AM »
I'll keep the paint bucket backstage until the end of the Showcase round, and then give the bucket to the winning contestant and tell them to "redecorate" the losing contestant by dumping/splashing all but a little bit of the paint from the bucket onto the losing contestant and then give the bucket back to me afterwards; then when the CBS execs come on stage and reprimand me for all that, I'll tell them that A) they didn't say I was the one who had to do the redecorating, and B) they didn't say it had to be done before the show, and when they tell me that contestants "aren't setpieces/props/prizes", I'll tell them that anything and everything that is on the set is a setpiece/part of the set, including people, and then using the little bit of paint that the winning contestant so kindly saved for me, "redecorate" the CBS execs since the "including people" part of what I told them includes them as well, and finally sprint out of there while yelling to them "Happy   G o l d e n   Anniversary, suckers!"
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:32:30 AM by GameShowFan9001 »

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 10:36:23 AM »
...Man, I'm in, but this is a hard prompt. I guess to celebrate the game's 50th anniversary, I'll give fans a real reason to complain that Double Prices is too much of an eyesore.

If I were serious, I throw the paint in the trash and just make LMAD's Gold Rush a permanent game in active rotation and make a 9 and 0 box, but come on.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline JarodJGames

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 02:34:47 PM »
I'm in and I would use the paint bucket to paint all of Golden Road's podiums Gold because of it being the "Golden" Anniversary.
CSS Stats:
Season 17-Only one of the Top 28 to fail to cash ONE SHOWCASE (12th Overall in Points)
Season 18-8th in Points, 39th in Cash
Season 19 Regular Season-11th in Points, 29th in Cash
Season 19 Playoffs-13th in Points, Failed to Cash
FIRST CASHED SHOWCASE EVER: 11/17/21

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 03:59:52 PM »
I'm in. I would say to have the the dollar sign on the logo of the Price is Right to be painted gold to remember the 50th year on the air.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 05:08:39 PM »
I suppose it's only fair that I be on the receiving end of this. So I'm in.

My one regret with the original "Reactive Budget" was that I didn't think to go to a ridiculous, humorous extreme once everybody started winning. And because I expect everybody to start winning on this episode, I'd better get a good response in now so I avoid the second-half fallout. So what would I do with five gallons of gold-leaf paint?

I'm a simple man who prefers an understated elegance. And I think that turning the logo gold would convey the significance of the milestone without being ostentatious. THE, IS, and RIGHT all stay white. PRICE and the dollar sign get a coat of the shiny gold-leaf paint. Then I'll pour some of the paint into two other containers and add a different amount of black to each in order to darken the color and dull the shine. Those shades replace the orange and red in the logo. Apply to all of the logos in the studio (on the doors, above the audience, on the giant price tag, on the back of the first One Bid envelope, accidentally paint over the logo on the giant monitor in the back, etc.).

That's classy, and it should result in a decent amount of gold-leaf paint left over. Which means that I'm going full Goldfinger on one of the models! Doesn't matter which one -- I'll take a volunteer. And if no one volunteers, then I'm drawing somebody's name out of a hat!
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 05:52:42 PM »
If I'm eligible, I will take the sixth sign-up spot. As for your rhetorical question, I would use the gold paint to dabble on the lights and also on the Price is Right logo, and if I had any left, I would put the rest of the paint over the stage to create an old callback to the original path of the Golden Road for Drew (or any host for that matter) to walk onstage on.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 06:39:33 PM »
I'm always up for a challenge.

I would start with the big wheel. Perhaps one of the show's most famous props and of course it gives away money so why not paint it gold because gold=money no? Then whatever is left over, gold audience curtains, gold big doors, gold turntable, gold showcase podium and gold contestant's row. If I still have more left over because I have no idea how much five gallons is I'll paint slip covers for the audience seats and then take an uber to Hollywood Blvd and touch up some stars on the walk of fame.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 07:09:37 PM »
I am most definitely in. I'd put the gold leaf paint on Plinko! for two reasons:

1. The board would look very nice.
2. Hopefully some specks would get stuck in the board leading to S&P declaring the board is unfair, rendering the game permanently unplayable.

Win win!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 10:07:56 PM »
I'm in!

As for the gold paint-- paint Check Game's set completely gold, since it's the 50th pricing game.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 10:08:44 PM »
I'll play!

I would paint the mountain climber gold.

Because why not?
1,699 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Online pathfinder20

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 10:41:24 PM »
I want in as well. I will probably paint Door for and the podiums with a gold border and pain the most iconic prop on TPIR (the microphone!) :biggrin:. (You can only do so much with five gallons worth of paint.)

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »
Of course I'll join! Now what to do with this paint? 5 gallons isn't too much, so I'll have to be smart. In no particular order, I'd probably...

- paint the 50 cent spot on the wheel for  the commemorative occasion

- paint the little pedestal that falls from the rafters in front of Contestants' Row because I always thought it was already gold and don't want mistaken memories.

- touch up the title in Now or Then so it looks nice for its final playing, then burn it for warmth afterwards

-make Safe Crackers more realistic by painting some gold bars on the backdrop that will somehow look more like glittery turds

And finally use the rest in a showcase where someone inevitable gets covered in the gold stuff, Nickelodeon slime cannon style.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 03:16:25 AM »
All right, signups are CLOSED! As customary, everybody who signs up gets a name tag just for playing...

(Abbreviations sometimes have to be made to get your name to fit; if you'd like your name tag to read something else, just let me know.)

Well, you've been waiting long enough, see you in a moment. Before we begin, may I introduce to you... the one... the only... AnnouncerTron 3000!

HELLO, EVERYBODY! HOW WE DOING?

*audience screams*

READY TO WIN SOME PRIZES?

*audience screams*

Now, I know you came here to win some great stuff...

a leaf blower...

an amazing trip...

or how about a NEW CAR!?!?

We have a whole warehouse full of prizes to offer you today, and I can't wait to call some of you to COME ON DOWN and win them!

If you hear your name, you jump on up! And I will butcher your name, because they don't tell me how to pronounce them beforehand and I'm a robotic text-to-speech program, so I apologize in advance!

If you come on stage, you might get confused on where to go. That's all right and perfectly natural, just stay with the host so you'll be in position for whatever game you play. If you win, you might get the urge to go run to your prize and celebrate, and we encourage that! But what if you don't win? Or what if you win something you can't hug, like a trip? Well, I need you to remember these four words. STAY WITH THE HOST. Can you repeat that for me?

"STAY WITH THE HOST!"

Very good! Now, you might notice this gentleman in the corner with the clipboard with the glasses. He's Dwayne, our guest visiting today from the accounting department at CBS. If you see him furiously scribbling notes on a clipboard during the show, don't be alarmed! That just means he's keeping track of all the wonderful prizes you'll win! Just try not to pay too much attention to him...

As for the rest of you, your job is to help those who are on-stage to win those prizes by helping them out as much as possible! Help them out as much as you can!

Okay, that's it. You know about the prizes, you know where to go and what to do, you know about Dwayne... I think we're ready! The crew is ready, the cameras are rolling, the prizes are loaded! You're here! You're hyped!

LET'S START THIS SHOW!

*audience screams*

Scream for me on the count of five...

four...

three...

two...

one...
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 03:19:29 AM »
*cue Walking 2007*

HEEEERE IT COMES! Get set, internet; it’s time to COME ON DOWN!

From the Host Your Own studios at Golden-Road.net! It’s the internet’s most EXCITING thread of FANTASTIC prizes!

A fortune in fabulous prizes may be won by these people today… if the PRICE IS RIGHT!

MSTieScott, COME ON DOWN!
123123123, COME ON DOWN!
GameShowFan9001, COME ON DOWN!
And TPIRfan#9821, COME ON DOWN!

You are the first four contestants on The Price is Right! And now, here’s your host… gamesurf!

Thank you, AnnouncerTron 3000! Thank you! Welcome to the Price is Right.

We've got a backstage filled with LOVELY prizes ready to be won in this exciting hour! And ​let's waste no time in offering them! Here's the first item up for bids today!

*cue 19*

It's a delightful dishwasher!

There is a chance that the monotony and mundanity of doing the dishes will vanish from your life forever with this Haier dishwasher! Keeping your dishes spick and span, this dishwasher sports a 24" interior, and its black stainless-steel finish is a terrific addition to any kitchen. And, it syncs to your phone or smarthome device, and can even automatically reorder detergent from Amazon when you run out! Ain't modern technology grand?

Thanks, AnnouncerTron! As always, that dishwasher will go to the one of you four who bids nearest to the Actual Retail Price Without Going Over...

TPIRfan#9821, what do you bid?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 03:23:37 AM by gamesurf »