Author Topic: CBS Affiliates That Have Dropped Price and For What?  (Read 5935 times)

Offline WhammyPower788

• I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
Re: CBS Affiliates That Have Dropped Price and For What?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2021, 05:45:04 PM »
What year was that from?
No idea, or I might've tried looking for it on YouTube. I would assume some time in the mid to late '70s, though.
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2021, 05:53:24 PM »
WCAX never dropped Price... nor any CBS show for that matter.   

Here in Montreal we did get Price in the 80s on CFCF, it aired at 4pm if I remember correctly, when it got replaced by Oprah at around 1986 or so.  It never aired again on a Montreal station until 2002 when the now defunct CH network picked it up at 11am.  It never aired any of the primetime specials.  When the CH system became E, Price was dropped.

Our local CH/E station (later owned by channel Zero in 2009, sold to Rogers Media in 2012) became part of City TV, it could not adopt its full schedule yet, because it was licensed a s a multicultural station, but later changed its license to adopt CITY's full schedule, and so had to preempt Price until December 2012.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 05:57:36 PM by rn »

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2021, 08:50:17 PM »
I have an audio clip of Bob on the show mentioning that Houston didn't carry Price in its first few years.

Hmmm... that's interesting. I'm from Houston, so this strikes a chord with me.

Nearly a decade ago in my first years of college, I was documenting old TV schedules that I could find on websites and newspaper archives at the library. Among the Houston ones, I have one from Fall 1971 and one from Fall 1976, but nothing in between.

One thing these two dates have in common is that the entire CBS network lineup is aired on time on KHOU except for the 3pm central slot. In 1971, Gomer Pyle is pre-empted for To Tell The Truth and in 1976, Tattletales is pre-empted for Dinah! I did not document any independent station lineups very often, only network stations. Because of this, I don't know if either of these programs were picked up by an independent, but I doubt it.

TPIR was airing on KHOU by 1976. If it's true that the show was indeed pre-empted in Houston during its early years, this probably occurred when the show moved to the afternoon. If the station continued to pre-empt the 3pm slot, maybe it was Secret Storm that was allowed to be cleared in 1973 at the expense of TPIR. Prior to that, CBS was just airing reruns in the 3pm slot. Assuming this was the case, Secret Storm would had to have been on a one day delay.

Who knows... this is only speculation, but now I'm intrigued enough to look further into this.

While we're on the subject, I've always found it odd that in the mid-to-late '70s, CBS was airing reruns of All In The Family at 3e/2c, all while airing Tattletales, and eventually Match Game, at 4e/3c, a slot that was pre-empted by many stations. You'd think they would air the current, original programming in a less venerable slot. They were spending money to produce those shows, why not make sure they make as big of turnover as possible.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 65 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 06:51:49 PM »
In Atlanta,  the last 4 PM CBS show WAGA cleared was Secret Storm and that was on delay to 1 PM the next week. After Storm was canceled and CBS aired their week long Daytime Playhouse, WAGA filled the 1 PM spot with What's My Line? No 4 PM show from CBS cleared here for years until an independent here cleared Match Game '78 on an hour delay.
Irony is when somebody writes "Your an idiot."

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 08:06:42 AM »
After digging through some old TV listings, I discovered that one of my local affiliates, WTOP (later WDVM and what's now W*USA) in DC dropped Price from September 6, 1976 until January 19, 1982, meaning that many who couldn't reach WMAR in Baltimore (CBS for most of that time) missed out on Professor Price, Penny Ante's original format, and the debut of the Bonus Spin. When the show was dropped, Mike Douglas replaced it, although Gambit continued to air until it was dropped. Other shows known to pre-empt Price included a portion of channel 9's Morning Break, sitcom reruns of All In The Family, One Day At A Time, The Jeffersons, and Alice. Trebek Double Dare and Kennedy Beat the Clock did clear though. I suspect the lack of games may have prompted WTOP at the time to drop Price? Too bad as it was a show that was just starting to hit its stride at the time it was dropped. WDVM was even game show-free after Beat the Clock's cancellation until the return of Price.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2021, 03:27:36 PM »
Other shows known to pre-empt Price included a portion of channel 9's Morning Break, sitcom reruns of All In The Family, One Day At A Time, The Jeffersons, and Alice. Trebek Double Dare and Kennedy Beat the Clock did clear though.

"Kennedy" Beat the Clock? Do you mean Monty Hall?

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2021, 07:26:42 AM »
Do networks require their affiliates to carry a good portion, if not most, of their programming? Aside from breaking news and special programs, what portion of a network's schedule can an affiliate regularly bump for their own local shows?
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2021, 08:14:17 AM »
For O&O's, it's 100% of their programming, unless if a special waiver is granted, although that's only in unusual circumstances if it isn't for a special report. For others, its free to what they ever want, except for the morning news shows by the networks. Some affiliates may be owned by a company that produces their own programming for them, so for WLWT in Cincinnati which was owned by AVCO and later Multimedia, they were required to show Donahue, Sally Jessy Raphael, and later Jerry Springer (which were produced by those companies), which definitely cut into some NBC daytime programming, especially from 1988 onwards when Sally was expanded to an hour. In fact, in the 1988-89 season, WLWT only cleared Win, Loser or Dra and Classic Concentration and didn't air daytime Wheel and Scrabble despite being among the most popular game shows at the time, in addition to the frequently pre-empted Sale of the Century and Super Password, but did clear the short-lived Don Blu version of the Gong Show and Sweethearts for syndication, and they aired at a reasonable after-school hour. Hour Magazine in the '80s for the Group W stations was another. But generally speaking, the shows that get satisfactory ratings in most instances get kept by the network, though in instances like those talk shows, the higher ratings in certain markets compared to comparable game shows (and a few soaps) led affiliates to prioritize those shows in expense of network shows. Once this started to become widespread as the years went on, the networks saw that most of the game shows weren't lucrative for their networks and either gave time back to their affiliates, produce their own talk show (Home or The View in ABC's case), or expanded the morning news.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 08:23:09 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2021, 05:05:13 AM »
For O&O's, it's 100% of their programming, unless if a special waiver is granted, although that's only in unusual circumstances if it isn't for a special report. For others, its free to what they ever want, except for the morning news shows by the networks.

I'm not sure where you got that impression. The CBS morning show was constantly under threat of preŽmption for many years because its ratings were so awful.

The amount of programming that a station intends to preŽmpt is typically a topic around contract renewal time and is subject to negotiation. It's one of the factors that has led to any number of affiliation swaps over the years.

Back in the days when networks paid local stations to air their programs, they would obviously withhold compensation for any shows that a station did not air. Networks don't do that anyone, so they have one less tool to discourage preŽmptions.

Offline TPIRZippy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2021, 09:05:19 PM »
I'm not sure where you got that impression. The CBS morning show was constantly under threat of preŽmption for many years because its ratings were so awful.

The amount of programming that a station intends to preŽmpt is typically a topic around contract renewal time and is subject to negotiation. It's one of the factors that has led to any number of affiliation swaps over the years.

Back in the days when networks paid local stations to air their programs, they would obviously withhold compensation for any shows that a station did not air. Networks don't do that anyone, so they have one less tool to discourage preŽmptions.

Indeed, WHDH in Boston didn't show CBS This Morning in 1994 because the ratings for it were so bad; they did a longer local morning newscast which did better.  (An independent station picked up This Morning then.)  In January 1995, when WBZ became CBS and WHDH became NBC, the Today show cleared on WHDH.  In 2010, during the Jay Leno Show debacle at 10pm, WHDH was sick of their 11pm newscasts getting killed thanks to the terrible ratings of the lead-in every night and said that they would not carry the Jay Leno Show at 10pm anymore.  NBC told WHDH that if they did that, they would lose their affiliation immediately.  WHDH relented and showed it, absorbing the hit on their newscasts, until the show was cancelled anyway.  When WBZ and WHDH swapped, it was announced that WBZ would clear the entire CBS network schedule barring local news special reports.   Before Group W/Westinghouse bought CBS, WBZ was known to preempt lower-rated NBC fare, especially in the 80s.  (Same at WCVB, who in 1972 had promised to produce the most local shows in the country, which ABC was more willing to tolerate than the others.)
WHDH fighting with NBC probably didn't help them a couple years ago when NBC ditched them against WHDH's protests, but they are still doing well as a news-intensive independent just like sister station WSVN which Ed Ansin also had a fight with NBC at.

Price has always managed to clear in Boston on channel 7 or 4, but some game shows in the 80s indeed didn't always clear on WBZ when it was NBC.