Author Topic: CBS Affiliates That Have Dropped Price and For What?  (Read 8184 times)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
CBS Affiliates That Have Dropped Price and For What?
« on: June 24, 2021, 05:28:32 PM »
I'm curious as to what CBS affiliates in the past did not clear The Price is Right at one time or another and what programs were shown instead. I was checking out some older TV Guides from across the country and I was absolutely flabbergasted to see that WFSB in Hartford, Connecticut dropped Price in 1979-80 in favor of reruns of Maude and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

I should mention I'm not looking for Price being pre-empted for local specials, but when a local CBS affiliate just drops it from it lineup for something else.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
Re: CBS Affiliates That Have Dropped Price and For What?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 06:30:36 PM »
Not so much of a drop, but a pre-emption.  From 1982-around 1985, WBBM bumped TPIR from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.  At 9:00, Donahue was shown, as they were taping from the WBBM studios in Chicago.  The 9:00 block of Pyramid and Press Your Luck was bumped to 10:00  AM.  Tattletales/Body Language, which was normally at 3:00 PM (per Wikipedia), was on at 11:00 AM, putting TPIR at 3:00 PM.  TPIR moved back to 10:00 AM after Donahue left the station. 

Just watching the Pluto TV episodes made me think.  I think I originally watched some of those episodes after school around that time.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 06:50:51 PM »
^From September 1999 to March 2000, KCBS in Los Angeles moved TPIR to 3:00 PM so they could air Dr. Joy Browne (anyone remember that talk show?) at 10:00 AM then.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 06:58:52 PM »
I remember reading about a CBS station that refused to carry Price until the 90's simply because the station manager personally disliked the show. I don't remember what station it was or whether that was true.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 10:31:51 PM »
Not so much of a drop, but a pre-emption.  From 1982-around 1985, WBBM bumped TPIR from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.  At 9:00, Donahue was shown, as they were taping from the WBBM studios in Chicago.  The 9:00 block of Pyramid and Press Your Luck was bumped to 10:00  AM.  Tattletales/Body Language, which was normally at 3:00 PM (per Wikipedia), was on at 11:00 AM, putting TPIR at 3:00 PM.  TPIR moved back to 10:00 AM after Donahue left the station. 

Just watching the Pluto TV episodes made me think.  I think I originally watched some of those episodes after school around that time.

While we're talking preemptions, I've already mentioned several times that my local CBS affiliate, WIVB in Buffalo, aired Price at 10am during the 1993-94 season so that they could air the long forgotten Les Brown talk show at 11am. There were two ripple affects: One, it caused CHCH out of Hamilton, Ontario Canada to move their 11am airings of Price to 10am as well. Two, both stations were among the very few that caught the premiere playing of Cover Up on September 13th, 1993 due to CBS pre-empting the 22nd Season Premiere for news of the Israeli-PLO peace accord at 11am.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 11:56:56 PM »
Preemption, not a complete drop: WAFB in Baton Rouge airs Price at 11 central, and shifts Y&R to 10.

For the longest time, this caused the show to be in crappy SD until the station upgraded their equipment.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 10:39:23 AM »
Back when it was a Group W/Westinghouse station, I don't think KPIX (San Francisco) aired TPIR very much before September, 1990. I do know that the show (and Gambit) premiered on KTVU (then independent, now Fox); I think KPIX aired a locally produced talk show starring Bing Crosby's wife in its time slot. The only time I am certain that KPIX aired it was during the brief period it was on in the afternoon, right before Match Game, although I think it was on for a year or two when the hour-long format started. I'm fairly positive it did not air on KPIX between 1978 and 1990 (another independent station aired it in the early 1980s for a couple of years); it aired an hour-long morning talk show in its place until it was replaced by Group W-produced national talk shows in the late 1980s.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 01:48:59 PM »
There was a time when WCIA in Champaign, IL did not air the Price is Right when CBS did.  WCIA aired Donahue at 9:00 AM, and shifted Here's Lucy reruns to 10:00 AM.  Here's the proof from 1977.  WCIA did not pick up the hour long show until 1979.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 01:57:15 PM by whinbaby »

Offline KinkyKong

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 11:41:26 AM »
Preemption, not a complete drop: WAFB in Baton Rouge airs Price at 11 central, and shifts Y&R to 10.

For the longest time, this caused the show to be in crappy SD until the station upgraded their equipment.

Wow I can't believe they still do that!  I lived in south Louisiana in the late 80s and WAFB aired Price at 11 AM Central way back then... although KLFY in Lafayette aired it at 10

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 12:20:28 PM »
While we're talking preemptions, I've already mentioned several times that my local CBS affiliate, WIVB in Buffalo, aired Price at 10am during the 1993-94 season so that they could air the long forgotten Les Brown talk show at 11am. There were two ripple affects: One, it caused CHCH out of Hamilton, Ontario Canada to move their 11am airings of Price to 10am as well. Two, both stations were among the very few that caught the premiere playing of Cover Up on September 13th, 1993 due to CBS pre-empting the 22nd Season Premiere for news of the Israeli-PLO peace accord at 11am.

Speaking of Cover Up, I read on another thread (posted by another user a few years back) that NTV in Newfoundland, Canada, aired TPIR the evening before the day it was scheduled to air on CBS.  In fact, the show that was scheduled for Monday on CBS would air on NTV the Friday before.  It's strongly possible that residents in Newfoundland did get to see the very first playing of Cover Up on Friday, September 10.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 12:35:39 PM »
I want to say KMOV in St. Louis used to air Price on a one-weekday delay (Friday eps air the next Monday), so if that was true at the time, maybe they got the Cover Up debut as well.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 05:13:37 AM »
Atlanta GA: the original Price was bumped for the first month as then-NBC affiliate WSB aired a movie starting at 9:30 and running to 11 AM (Price aired at 10:30 for that first month, moving to 11 on December 31, 1956).

Then-CBS affiliate WAGA blacked out Price in favor of Jerry Springer at the onset of the 1994 season as they were preparing to switch to Fox that December. At the eleventh hour, independent station WVEU/ch. 69 stepped in and cleared the show in pattern until a new CBS affiliate was announced (which is now WGCL/ch. 46).
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 06:29:01 AM »
Speaking of Cover Up, I read on another thread (posted by another user a few years back) that NTV in Newfoundland, Canada, aired TPIR the evening before the day it was scheduled to air on CBS.  In fact, the show that was scheduled for Monday on CBS would air on NTV the Friday before.  It's strongly possible that residents in Newfoundland did get to see the very first playing of Cover Up on Friday, September 10.

I do remember when NTV aired the show at 6:30 p.m. just after our local news here in Newfoundland! In 1996, however,  they moved the show to 4:00 a.m., after our local newscast got expanded to 1 hour. It then left NTVs schedule altogether shortly thereafter.

Offline WhammyPower788

• I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 02:44:12 PM »
I have an audio clip of Bob on the show mentioning that Houston didn't carry Price in its first few years.
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 04:53:57 PM »
I have an audio clip of Bob on the show mentioning that Houston didn't carry Price in its first few years.

What year was that from?