Author Topic: So much for S50 audiences  (Read 14115 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: So much for S50 audiences
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2021, 09:33:44 PM »
Who says that a primetime 50th Anniversary Celebration has to air on a Sunday night?

An episode dedicated to celebrating the show’s 50th would still feel like a very special celebration even if it doesn’t end up airing 50 years to the day.

Hell the 25th didn't even air 25 years to the day. Or even the same year. So....it wouldn't matter. The 40th anniversary show was a nice touch this way, as they were able to pull it off without any need to air it on a weekend, but...wouldn't make or break.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2021, 02:53:43 AM »
We’re really arguing over this?

Just air a primetime special at some point during the season and re-air it on 9/4/22.  IIRC, the 30th Anniversary Special was shown a second time in the summer of ‘02, so there is absolutely precedent.  In fact, it makes sense because it’s something CBS can easily air against SNF without putting any new dollars into a product that won’t capture the desired audience.  It’s a win-win as far as the network is concerned.

If that 9/4 date isn’t in the cards for the network, I won’t lose any sleep over it.  I’ll only be disappointed if the show doesn’t receive some form of primetime acknowledgment in general.  Daytime should be lit, though. 🔥
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2021, 12:32:13 PM »
Well put Mr. Weatherman.  ITA.

The suggestion on this really starts or started with me.  It appears that they can't celebrate the way they want to right away.  However, instead of honoring 50 years in its 50th season, they can do so on the actual anniversary year, 50 years removed.  Even though I mentioned it a couple of times elsewhere, all I was saying is that it likely wouldn't happen on 09/04/22 since it falls on the Sunday before Labor Day.  As stated, it doesn't have to be on that date, but around it is fair enough.

Anyway, having it in August of next year and then airing it again as a rerun on 09/04 is a possibility.  Not a big deal
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2021, 04:56:32 PM »
Well put Mr. Weatherman.  ITA.

The suggestion on this really starts or started with me.  It appears that they can't celebrate the way they want to right away.  However, instead of honoring 50 years in its 50th season, they can do so on the actual anniversary year, 50 years removed.  Even though I mentioned it a couple of times elsewhere, all I was saying is that it likely wouldn't happen on 09/04/22 since it falls on the Sunday before Labor Day.  As stated, it doesn't have to be on that date, but around it is fair enough.

Anyway, having it in August of next year and then airing it again as a rerun on 09/04 is a possibility.  Not a big deal

I could see them doing it on the Friday before. That'd make sense. They've done stuff like that in past for special events/days so......why not this too?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2021, 05:38:12 PM »
Put simply, because CBS primetime does not exist to serve the Price is Right. Whatever they decide to do and wherever they decide to do it will depends on what else they have going on. They're not going to be bound by a specific week/weekend time frame. Maybe it works out that way, maybe it doesn't. The average person isn't going to be keeping track nor care of how close to an actual anniversary form a half century ago it comes.

Offline Cliffhangers491

• In the Audience
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2021, 11:42:09 PM »
Getting back to the original topic, I am excited that there will be some form of audience this season. Cheers to an epic season 50!
Love it. Live it. Learn it. Savor the flavor!

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2021, 08:22:56 AM »
Season 50...I wonder if they even thought it would make it this far.

Offline MrZone

• 10/24/01
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2021, 07:18:40 AM »
Looks like no audience for the entire season as they are advertising a casting call through March 2022…however this does not rule out an anniversary special.

The 40th Anniversary special was taped in August 2012, with only a 3 week turnaround before airing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSHBxBrLxi9/?utm_medium=copy_link

Offline lejusteprix

• 12/14/2015
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2021, 07:27:51 AM »
Looks like no audience for the entire season as they are advertising a casting call through March 2022

Just to clarify - while I realize it's not the "traditional" way of doing things, just because they're casting doesn't mean they can't have an audience.  They could do their casting, have everyone in place and then call them to "come on down".  I suspect that's what happens with LMAD - everyone has been pre-screened before arriving at the studio but then not everyone gets to play during a given episode.

Thoughts?

Offline MrZone

• 10/24/01
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2021, 09:09:34 AM »
Just to clarify - while I realize it's not the "traditional" way of doing things, just because they're casting doesn't mean they can't have an audience.  They could do their casting, have everyone in place and then call them to "come on down".  I suspect that's what happens with LMAD - everyone has been pre-screened before arriving at the studio but then not everyone gets to play during a given episode.

Thoughts?

That’s th exact same thing they did for season 49…but with far less people.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2021, 09:12:45 AM »
Looks like no audience for the entire season as they are advertising a casting call through March 2022…however this does not rule out an anniversary special.
Drew confirmed there would be a limited audience for season 50.

Here's the form to apply to be a contestant: https://fremantle.formstack.com/forms/the_price_is_right_2021?fbclid=IwAR1rBvWzv9-AXBCWi1GdL_nEnaJQulRHEPWymX3lQIFmRocCcSTl1JdOAwg. It looks like they will take people from outside the state as well.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2021, 09:31:44 AM »
I believe the Kennedy version was the first to offer casting as in the closing credits, it states "Contestants were interviewed in advance and must meet eligibility requirements". Oddly though, the Davidson credits are back to the daytime's "Prize winners must meet eligibility requirements", though it would seem like that version would be more inclined for casting. We'll probably have the 50th anniversary special taped after the regular season wraps production from the way it looks right now, with perhaps S50 itself as a buildup to it. I wouldn't mind a series of specials next summer on a night that ABC doesn't have any fun & games since the 1986 specials were used to promote 15 years on CBS, and with it, a freshened set for a return to normalcy.

If they do go on with casting, they should have "mock game" segments to ensure that contestants know how to play or be energetic. Aren't there special interview segments where "The new Stan" will chat with the players, and then select who will get to go on? I'd imagine those who aren't selected could still get audience tickets which is how limited audiences could work, with so far, no OCA yet.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2021, 12:44:03 PM »
Perhaps someone who's on this board and goes through the new process will be able to illuminate us on how it works and any similarities or differences.

With 70+ games in rotation, it might be difficult to give someone a game test when they don't know who is going to get which game. It wouldn't make sense to have them play a mock game of Any Number but they end up playing Stack the Deck. That doesn't eliminate the "don't know how to play" issue and might even cause more problems. Also, I'm sure they don't want to give away the games being played on that particular show until it's time. Element of surprise and all that.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2021, 07:18:40 PM »
My best guess is that they're doing the casting to avoid having any sort of 4hr line-up outside the studio prior to the tapings and limit staff interaction with that many people (whether it's half of capacity or even less).
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2021, 11:54:42 PM »
My best guess is that they're doing the casting to avoid having any sort of 4hr line-up outside the studio prior to the tapings and limit staff interaction with that many people (whether it's half of capacity or even less).

Not only this, but a casting call doesn’t necessarily mean every person selected to be a part of the audience is guaranteed a spot as a contestant.  Given what we know, this is likely taking the place of the usual interview process that occurs outside in line.  A Zoom session suffices just as well and avoids direct contact with however many people they are allowing into the BBS.  It’s also an easy way to verify vaccination status — which probably isn’t a stretch to assume will be a requirement of everyone entering the studio.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker