Author Topic: Pricing Game Idea: Time Traveling Prices  (Read 1342 times)

Offline mungojerry311

• In the Audience
  • TPIR Recapper
Pricing Game Idea: Time Traveling Prices
« on: September 28, 2021, 07:49:37 PM »
After some thought I've tweaked the pricing game idea I called Time Travel some, so here I go.

This version is more akin to To The Penny. Four or five grocery items or small prizes are placed on a table, with a price below them. The price displayed is the item's ARP adjusted back to a certain year. Below the first item is a choice of two possible years the item traveled back in time to. Below the second, three choices and so on.

The contestant must guess which year the item traveled back in time to, picking from the possible choices below the item. If s/he gets the first one right, they win $2,000. The contestant can decide whether to stop there or keep going. The process repeats. If the contestant guesses wrong on one item, s/he loses all the money they've won and the game ends in a loss. However, if they get all of them right, they win $16,000 and/or a bigger prize revealed at the beginning of the game.

There would be a way to eliminate wrong answers a la WWTBAM but I have no idea what that would be at this time.

Thoughts?

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pricing Game Idea: Time Traveling Prices
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 04:17:33 PM »
This game sounds awfully difficult for such a small prize…looks how much trouble contestants have with “Now…or Then”, and that’s only with 2 choices!  How’s a contestant supposed to know the difference of how much something cost between 1982 and 1984?

Outside of that, the prep time for the staff would be quite tremendous.  They would have to research an item’s price for every “wrong year” they list to ensure the item’s value wasn’t the same in those years to avoid a legal nightmare from S&P.  I’ve seen old episodes of Price and items like “Certs mints” stayed at 20 cents for years.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline mungojerry311

• In the Audience
  • TPIR Recapper
Re: Pricing Game Idea: Time Traveling Prices
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 05:00:48 PM »
This game sounds awfully difficult for such a small prize…looks how much trouble contestants have with “Now…or Then”, and that’s only with 2 choices!  How’s a contestant supposed to know the difference of how much something cost between 1982 and 1984?

Outside of that, the prep time for the staff would be quite tremendous.  They would have to research an item’s price for every “wrong year” they list to ensure the item’s value wasn’t the same in those years to avoid a legal nightmare from S&P.  I’ve seen old episodes of Price and items like “Certs mints” stayed at 20 cents for years.

Figures. So in tweaking the idea I made it even worse? Oh well, I thought it was a good idea at the time. I think adjusting prices back to a certain year would work somewhere.