Author Topic: A Conversation on the New Games  (Read 15062 times)

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
A Conversation on the New Games
« on: August 28, 2021, 04:08:35 PM »
I know this topic is a bit premature because we don't yet know what the other new game will be or how Back to '72 will play out, but I'm posting this here because it came out a while ago and I'm surprised no one seems to have mentioned it yet.

But thanks to thepriceis_J, a TikTok photo was unearthed of TPIR's backstage, with a very interesting prop we've never seen before:

And credit to jsach for blowing up the image to give us a clearer view:

The consensus seems to be that based on the rustic/old nature of this prop, and the fact that the products in the windows look to be pictures rather than physical products, that this is Back to '72. And it looks like it'll be a cash game.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 04:12:07 PM by Guint »

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: A Conversation on the New Games
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 04:31:08 PM »
I'm gonna need to see that baby in action since the first word that came to mind upon seeing it was "fugly".

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 05:10:25 PM »
Is that fair though? We don't have a full, clear picture of the prop.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »
Is that fair though? We don't have a full, clear picture of the prop.

No, which is why I said I need to see it in action. I get that props are gonna look different in storage.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 05:46:52 PM »
I think they're really trying to go for the old style feel. It's kind of the "Now....or Then" approach. Ugly now, but it was also ugly in 1980.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 06:26:56 PM »
It certainly looks interesting. Looking forward to seeing how it plays.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 08:05:50 PM »
It kind of reminds me of an old 60s-70s style house interior.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 10:25:08 PM »
So from the prop, the game might have:

•Some kind of money chain is involved, presumably with five steps (and two of the steps are $1,500 and $2,000)
•There are five windows with GPs and cash amounts
•Each window has a number of pips 2-6 prominently associated with it

Wild, rampant speculation (the most fun kind of speculation) as to how the game might make these elements work based on nothing but the picture here:

Five images of GPs from 1972 are shown in the windows, as well as one “real”, physically present, modern-day, actual GP. The “real” GP is labeled with one pip, the five 1972 GPs are labeled with 2-6 pips.

On a different display, six prices are also shown. The contestant chooses one of the six prices they believe belongs to one of the five 1972 GPs. If they pick a price with 2-6 pips, the corresponding prize on the board is lit up and the player wins an amount of cash from $1,000 to $3,000. A player can bail with the cash they have at any time.

If they pick the price with one pip (aka the ARP for the “modern” prize), the game is over and they win nothing, because they are clearly not a big enough fan of classic TPIR.

If the contestant can pick out all five prices for the 1972 GPs while avoiding the ARP of the modern GP, their total is increased to $19,720 and the contestant is revealed to be a Loyal Friend and True.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 10:32:30 PM »
It certainly looks interesting. Looking forward to seeing how it plays.

Same here.  Might be a cash game or a car game with cash, IMO.  If it ends up being popular maybe TPTB will reconsider & bring it back in Season 51 (that's on the assumption that the game is the new game that's only around for this upcoming anniversary season)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 10:56:56 PM »
Everybody here's talking about the new game with the pips that may or may not be Back to '72, but what's that gold-ish thing on the far right middle of the image?  I see what kinda sorta vaguely looks like it might be part of some gold lettering, but why would such lettering have that little handle?

EDIT: Just realized almost immediately after posting this that the aforementioned "gold-ish thing" has to be part of the Big Wheel prop (not sure how I didn't realize that before given the shape and the fact that the prop was already shown to have been repainted), but unless I'm mistaken, it's never had anything resembling what I initially described as vaguely looking like part of some gold lettering with a little handle in that place, has it?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 11:02:06 PM by GameShowFan9001 »

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 11:41:46 AM »
I don't see anything with a handle/ gold lettering in the post of the photo. I think what you might be seeing is the side of the scoreboard cover?
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 09:04:49 PM »
Looking closer, does the prop actually look finished? Looks like an open space along the bottom. Maybe there’s an overlay or a table in front like Bullseye.

The spots? Wasn’t there an old rumor about a Dominoes based game being pitched at some point in the last few years? Maybe.

I’m assuming they’re really going to play up the vintage look for the “Back to ‘72” game instead of making a Bullseye/ Now or Then shape sibling. If they created such a bizarre and theme-y design for Side by Side then I would assume they’d go all out on a game commemorating the show’s Golden Year. We’ll see in a few weeks.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 09:29:34 PM »
The spots? Wasn’t there an old rumor about a Dominoes based game being pitched at some point in the last few years? Maybe.
Can't recall the name, but I think that was one of the games that was supposed to have debuted in the premiere week of Season 37.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 10:02:36 PM »
Breaking: this is the new pricing prop and reveal for Hole in One (or Two).
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »
Looking closer, does the prop actually look finished? Looks like an open space along the bottom. Maybe there’s an overlay or a table in front like Bullseye.

I'm pretty sure that is a finished prop, as it seems to be the holding area for props waiting to be used on the show.

That open space is also present in the current set for Master Key, so it's likely just there to hold up the prop, one that also fills out the turntable.