Author Topic: Sony fires Mike Richards  (Read 2663 times)

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
Re: Sony fires Mike Richards
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 12:35:26 PM »
Can't say I'm shocked with the news. In light of recent events, it was bound to happen. Now, Sony has to scramble to find a replacement. I wonder what that means for the taping of Season 38? I assume all of CWOF Season 2 has already been taped?
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline plinkostick1

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 12:45:10 PM »
Seems like it was a matter of "losing the locker room", the staff (probably made up of a bunch of millennials) not feeling "comfortable" with him as the boss. Sony themselves (big wigs) apparently didn't really have a problem with him EPing. I just hope this doesn't lead to a more "viral" style ala the categories in "100k Pyramid" or Family Feud responses. For one show that style definitely doesn't (or shouldn't) fit (J!) And one that it might but absolutely doesn't need to (WoF).

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 12:49:00 PM »
This is on Sony for thinking they could pull another fast one. There were tons of options for both shows to replace Harry Friedman. No reason to bring in an outsider with so much baggage.

Bringing in Michael Davies for the time being is a bit of a surprise. I'm wishing him the best of luck.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 12:56:51 PM »
It's a step in the right direction.  Michael Davies as the interim is a start toward regaining some credibility as it relates to the product.  Not sure he's the best choice, but today's move needed to happen better late than not
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 01:30:39 PM »
”Wheel of Fortune” staffers had felt completely in the dark in recent weeks as to what was happening and who was running the ship.

Recent weeks?  No one has been running their ship for a decade+ lol.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Online mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 02:18:05 PM »
From the Jeopardy! Board...

Quote from: Robert K S
If he had quietly hired Ken or Buzzy or [checks notes] literally anyone but himself, he would still have a job.

...and other than if he picked "Mr. Oz" (as a Wheel of Fortune contestant once called him), I agree with this.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 02:23:13 PM »
If Mike had decided he was content producing the two biggest game shows on television without becoming the face of it, he would have had one of the cushiest jobs in Hollywood and ended up riding with millions of dollars into the sunset.

If Mike had run a clean, non-drawn-out host search with transparency and plenty of input from other producers, or even if he just said "Sony hired me because they wanted me to host, it's me" instead of the aw-shucks-just-filling-in routine, I believe Mike probably would have weathered the podcast comments and TPIR allegations when they resurfaced.

But you cannot abuse the trust of your coworkers so publicly and then expect to get away with "I'm sorry, won't happen again".

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 02:28:13 PM »
What a fall.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 02:30:27 PM »
Does this mean we can stop talking about Drew hosting Season 37?

Probably not.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 03:35:42 PM »
If Mike had decided he was content producing the two biggest game shows on television without becoming the face of it, he would have had one of the cushiest jobs in Hollywood and ended up riding with millions of dollars into the sunset.

If Mike had run a clean, non-drawn-out host search with transparency and plenty of input from other producers, or even if he just said "Sony hired me because they wanted me to host, it's me" instead of the aw-shucks-just-filling-in routine, I believe Mike probably would have weathered the podcast comments and TPIR allegations when they resurfaced.

But you cannot abuse the trust of your coworkers so publicly and then expect to get away with "I'm sorry, won't happen again".

Without a doubt, Richards' supersized ego is what caused his downfall.

I'll be curious to learn how much severance Richards receives. IMO, he shouldn't receive anything.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Richards tries to publicly redeem himself in some way, since other disgraced celebrities and politicians have attempted to do the same. In Richards' case, I would consider any attempts to show contrition to be insincere.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 04:03:14 PM »
Seems like it was a matter of "losing the locker room", the staff (probably made up of a bunch of millennials) not feeling "comfortable" with him as the boss.

Most of the people on staff have been with the show for a long, long time. You don't have to be a millennial to recognize an untenable work environment.

When Megyn Kelly made some comments that seemed to be sympathetic of blackface, it was a staff revolt that basically forced her out of NBC. But it wasn't led by millennials. It was led by Al Roker, who was already in his 60s.

Offline plinkostick1

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 06:07:49 PM »
Most of the people on staff have been with the show for a long, long time. You don't have to be a millennial to recognize an untenable work environment.

When Megyn Kelly made some comments that seemed to be sympathetic of blackface, it was a staff revolt that basically forced her out of NBC. But it wasn't led by millennials. It was led by Al Roker, who was already in his 60s.
The "millennial" comment was based on staffers leaking stuff to "The Ringer" seems like more of a millennial thing but be that as it may. I don't really see him as overtly offensive, the comments he made were in jest for shock value, playing a "radio persona" like Stern or Jimmy Kimmel. I doubt he feels that strongly about one piece swimsuits or demeaning women. That said, the self-anointment process does come off as smarmy and unbecoming of a leader.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 06:45:06 PM »
This is on Sony for thinking they could pull another fast one. There were tons of options for both shows to replace Harry Friedman. No reason to bring in an outsider with so much baggage.

They didn't even have to bring the same person to do both shows. This whole thing wouldn't have happened if Mike were hired only to work on Wheel (his experience on TPIR/LMAD was better suited for that kind of show environment anyway) and they got somebody else to take over Jeopardy. Wheel needed saving after Harry realized that Jeopardy is a cash cow for Sony whenever there's a champion that lasts 10+ days and turned his back on it. Wheel was more talked about in 2020-21 than the previous 5 years before that combined. If Mike were only on Wheel, Jeopardy probably wouldn't have even let him try to be a guest host. I blame Harry Friedman for making everyone think Wheel and Jeopardy have a "rivalry" when they don't. Point is, Sony doesn't need to think that both shows need the same person running them.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 07:54:23 PM »
No one on the staff turned their back on one show to play favorites with the other. Whatever this grudge is, it’s not grounded in reality.