Author Topic: Possible IATSE Strike - Production Could Be Affected  (Read 8456 times)

Online Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
Possible IATSE Strike - Production Could Be Affected
« on: September 21, 2021, 09:33:12 PM »
Putting this here instead of OILF as this affects Price in addition to all TV/Film.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/iatse-strike-shut-down-production-nationwide-1235070315/?

Obviously there's no guarantee of a strike, even if the vote passes. Just something to keep an eye out for.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Possible IATSE Strike - Production Could Be Affected
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 11:01:15 AM »
I don't know if game shows will be affected by an IATSE Strike.  I did see the union's logo online (it resembles a non-pointed star), and to the best of my knowledge I never saw such logo during the closing credits to Price or any game show for that matter (unless something's changed), and I definitely never saw such logo on the closing credits to the 1980s episodes that are presently offered by Pluto.  I'd probably see such logo in the closing credits to films, sitcoms, daytime soaps, and prime time dramas, if anything.

That said, I think game shows will likely not be affected.  If anything, the strike may affect game shows in a good way - there may end up being an increased number of prime time episodes, just like there was with the WGA strike back in 2007-08.

Or, if a strike impacts programming, they may use "scabs" (replacement workers) to do the work normally done by unions, because the networks need the money.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:08:15 AM by FanOfDrew87 »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 02:09:35 PM »
I don't know if game shows will be affected by an IATSE Strike.  I did see the union's logo online (it resembles a non-pointed star), and to the best of my knowledge I never saw such logo during the closing credits to Price or any game show for that matter (unless something's changed), and I definitely never saw such logo on the closing credits to the 1980s episodes that are presently offered by Pluto.  I'd probably see such logo in the closing credits to films, sitcoms, daytime soaps, and prime time dramas, if anything.

That said, I think game shows will likely not be affected.  If anything, the strike may affect game shows in a good way - there may end up being an increased number of prime time episodes, just like there was with the WGA strike back in 2007-08.

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculously stupid assessment.

Do you even know what IATSE is?  Among other things, they represent camera operators.  Price can't very well tape with no one recording it.  They represent post-production staff, too -- meaning that even if the show somehow managed to get filmed, no one would be around to edit it.  A strike would essentially make production impossible.

For the love of God, think before you post.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Cliff.Hanger

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 10:52:51 AM »
They represent post-production staff, too -- meaning that even if the show somehow managed to get filmed, no one would be around to edit it.  A strike would essentially make production impossible.

Price's post-production staff is in IBEW, not IATSE, but could potentially strike in solidarity.

Online Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 03:38:32 PM »
The votes are in. With 98.7% voting yes, I think we're very likely to see a strike.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/iatse-strike-vote-result-1235079382/
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 04:07:56 PM »
So, if the strike occurs, could CBS air more Price Is Right At Night specials than they usually have?

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 04:14:03 PM »
...you do realize that if the strike happens, there are no new episodes of The Price is Right, period? It's not like this doesn't affect our show magically.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 06:41:09 PM »
So, if the strike occurs, could CBS air more Price Is Right At Night specials than they usually have?
No.

You doof.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 07:18:23 PM »
The reason if there is a strike here is because the actual functions of the show go down in a union strike (which has my 100% support).

When the writers strike occurred in 2007 is because Price does not use union writers (far as I know, Scott can correct me on this if he chooses) and some game shows do not require union writers to produce, hence the nighttime specials.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 07:20:57 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 08:40:45 PM »
Saw that the AMPTP and the IATSE will return to the bargaining table on Tuesday. This will be the first time in more than two months that both sides will engage in collective bargaining.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:15:04 AM by TPIRfan#9821 »
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 11:56:43 AM »
Probably a follow-up to the tweet that TPIRfan#9821 posted late last night, Matthew Loeb, the president of the IATSE, has said unless they reach a deal in the next few days that address core issues, the strike will begin on Monday.
https://deadline.com/2021/10/hollywood-strike-date-iatse-producers-1234855030/

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 04:27:14 PM »
If the strike happens, and it somehow forces TPiR to go into repeats -- can they please at least rerun older episodes?  Pre-pandemic episodes, for sure.

Offline AntmanB

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 06:07:44 PM »
so like no shows would probably tape, like at all?  I know Big brother 9 happened cause of the Writers Strike.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 07:09:45 PM »
Plus, The Amazing Race ended up airing earlier than planned while another episode was taped around the world, IIRC.  Sadly, that probably will not be the case for obvious reasons.

While I hope they come to a resolution, hopefully they will focus a ton of classic episodes.  However, I wouldn't bet on it; I'm thinking it'll probably be Season 40 - 48 stuff.  Pre-pandemic excluded
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck