Poll

Which location on stage has the most exciting pricing games?

Turntable
12 (40%)
Big Doors
5 (16.7%)
Giant Price Tag
3 (10%)
Race Game Curtain
7 (23.3%)
Other "Center Stage" games
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: What stage location has your favorite in terms of pricing games?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
There are five main places where pricing games are played on the show, and prior to the playing of each game, each location often narrows down the tone to the type of game that could be played. The Turntable provides a cozy feel that includes many classic games along with a few newer ones. The Big Doors are Quickie and Multiprize Central, but occasionally feature Five Price Tags or 1/2 Off to change the tone. The Giant Price Tag has an eclectic mix that can range from cashers, fee games, a couple quickies, but often brings a higher chance of offering a car. The Race Game Curtain has in addition to its namesake game, Take Two along with cashers like Plinko and the progressive More Or Less, with many of the games being exciting to watch. Finally, you have the various "on stage" games, ranging from Range Game, Cliff Hangers, to the unique presentation of Lucky $even's car reveal, to The Big Four, often indicating that a major prize is possible. With that said, which stage location is not just your favorite location for playing pricing games, but also the lineup of games for each location in general?
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: What stage location has your favorite in terms of pricing games?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 02:58:57 PM »
I'm a turntable man from Day One!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 03:31:06 PM »
I am part and parcel to the turntable as well.

For some odd reason Bonus Game puts me in mind of watching the show back in the early 1970s with my paternal grandmother who passed away in March 1976.

Cliff Hangers makes me think of her too because that was the first new pricing game that she did not live long enough to see.

Turntable was even better when it was red/orange/purple and when Split Decision was in the lineup, since the presentation of the prizes for that game just about mirrored that of Any Number, so it was always a treat to not know for sure which game was going to come around on the turntable.  Ditto with Clock Game & the now retired "Bump".

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 06:34:45 PM »
Breaking it down, here are the games played by each staging location:

Turntable

Any Number
Bonus Game
Bullseye (all versions)
Bump
Check Game
Clock Game
Coming or Going
Cover Up
Danger Price (1976-early 1977)
Double Digits
Flip Flop
Joker
Make Your Move
Master Key
Money Game (Late 1981-present)
Mystery Price
Now...or Then
Push Over
Shell Game
Spelling Bee
Split Decision
Squeeze Play (Spring 1982-present)
$uper $aver
Switcheroo
Vend-O-Price

Big Doors

Bargain Game
Clearance Sale
Credit Card
Danger Price (Late 1985-present)
Do The Math
Double Prices (Occassionally in the late '70s/'80s, usually from the '90s-present)
Eazy Az 1 2 3
5 Price Tags
Fortune Hunter
Gallery Game
Give or Keep
1/2 Off
Magic #
Most Expen$ive
1 Right Price
One Wrøng Price
Pay The Rent (actually straddles Center Stage and Door #2, but the main game base is inside the door)
Safe Crackers
Shopping Spree
Side by Side
Step Up
Swap Meet
Switch?
Triple Play (has a Center Stage-style pre-bid buildup, but the game is played next to the Big Doors)
2 for the Price of 1

Giant Price Tag

Add 'em Up
Back to '72
Check-Out
Danger Price (Early 1977-late 1985)
Dice Game
Double Prices (Primarily in the 1970s and '80s)
Grand Game
It's In The Bag
Money Game (1972-1981)
One Away
Pick-a-Pair (1990-present)
Pocket Change
Professor Price
Punch a Bunch
Secret "X"
Squeeze Play (1977-early 1982)
To The Penny
Trader Bob
Walk of Fame

Race Game Curtain

Balance Game '06
Buy or Sell
Cliff Hangers
Gas Money
Hot Seat
Let 'Em Roll
More or Less
Pass the Buck
Pathfinder
Plinko
Race Game
Rat Race
Stack The Deck
Take Two
3 Strikes
Time I$ Møney (2014-present)

Center Stage

Balance Game '84
Barker's Marker$
Bonkers
Card Game
Double Cross
Finish Line
Golden Road
Gridlock!
Hi Lo
Hit Me
Hole in One
Hurdles
It's Optional
Line em Up
Lucky $even
On the Nose
On the Spot
Penny Ante
Phone Home Game
Pick A Pair (Ferris Wheel set)
Pick-a-Number
Poker Game
Range Game
Shower Game
Super Ball!!
Telephone Game
Temptation
Ten Chances
That's Too Much!
Time Is Money (2003)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 06:46:54 PM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 10:47:39 PM »
Danger Price was also played centerstage between its turntable and door #2 years.

The turntable was the best part of the set imo. It builds up the surprise and "suspense" the show if after for the contestants, not to mention that the shape of the Barker-era walls really stood out with the pink-purple-blue scheme.

Am I correct that they lifted the idea of including the turntable from the Cullen version for introducing the games and prizes?

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 03:34:48 AM »
There are five main places where pricing games are played on the show, and prior to the playing of each game, each location often narrows down the tone to the type of game that could be played. The Turntable provides a cozy feel that includes many classic games along with a few newer ones.
Aside from Vend-O-Price, there hasn't been a new turntable game in 18 years.

I don't usually particularly care about where games are staged, but I do feel like most of the "behind the Big Doors" games tend to feel a little more divorced from the show's usual excitement, partly because (as noted) they tend to be multi-prizers and the prizes are necessarily positioned further back behind the doors or on weird angles to allow the cameras to see them all. That's not to say they're bad games (2 for the Price of 1 is probably the most underrated game the show has, for example, and even something like Step Up probably would have worked with Take Two-style staging) or that games in other locations are necessarily better (I mean, just look at some of them), just that that's probably the worst location for the games.

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 09:33:03 PM »
If I remember right when the Grand Game was played you could see part of the logo above Giant Price Tag

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 01:24:35 AM »
I'm probably going to stick out from the crowd on this one but I really enjoy when they show the audience in the shot, like how they do with Card Game or how they occasionally did during DP in the last 10 years with door 4 showing the trip they were playing for. I always felt that except for the opening of the show and during the call downs you really don't see the audience all that much, especially the people who are further back than the 3rd or 4th row.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline penny_ante

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Old Penny board c 1982
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 12:23:51 PM »
@Thatgameshowguy is right. The newer 'non-standard' stagings of Double Prices in front of the audience/'Door 4' and Side by Side in front of the turntable/homebase are the most interesting to me. Whether they're the most exciting is debatable.
Penny Ante
1979-2002
RIP, Old Friend