Author Topic: 2021 MLB Playoffs  (Read 14022 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: 2021 MLB Playoffs
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2021, 08:56:05 AM »
Max Fried vs. Jose Urquidy tonight. Fried had a less-than-stellar effort in game 5 of the NLCS but he maintains a postseason ERA of 3.78.  Urquidy's postseason ERA is 27.00, but Atlanta cannot take that lightly.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2021, 11:24:34 PM »
The World Series is tied 1-1 after game 2.
Go get em, Astros!
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2021, 02:30:36 AM »
Luis Garcia (1-1, 9.64) vs. Ian Anderson (1-0, 2.25) at Truist tomorrow night. There may be delays or even a postponement as rain is forecast in Atlanta the next three days.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2021, 06:49:33 PM »
Game Two was pretty much a must win for both teams, including Atlanta despite still being on the road and already up 1-0.  Still feeling awful for Charlie Morton; never thought Ace and Charlie Morton would be used in the same sentence, but any rooting interest for Atlanta outside of my pick for them to win is basically gone.

Even though Atlanta has the ability to be "one away" from victory and still not get there, I don't think they would've blown a 3-0 series lead.  It wouldn't have been a shocker if they had given when Morton would've been slated to return.  Instead, given the fact that Atlanta lost him to a broken fibula, it's likely that the Astros won't drop another game, even with the next three being played in Atlanta.

Hopefully Atlanta can win at least one more (not because of my pick but for the purpose of having a good series).  It might be over for Fried, but their defense was supposed to be their strength, if not a nice asset
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2021, 04:16:28 PM »
Tucker Davidson, a lefty from AAA Gwinnett, will fill Morton's spot in the rotation. He was 2-2 at Gwinnett with a 1.17 ERA.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2021, 11:37:01 PM »
Atlanta takes a no-hitter into the eighth inning and holds on to win Game 3 2-0.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2021, 11:42:53 PM »
Five Atlanta pitchers combine for the two-hitter. Tyler Matzek continues to be lights out, with postseason batters 2-44 against him.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2021, 01:39:47 PM »
Tucker Davidson, a lefty from AAA Gwinnett, will fill Morton's spot in the rotation. He was 2-2 at Gwinnett with a 1.17 ERA.

Minor league success doesn't usually translate into the majors, but Davidson might be the exception.  Total optimism there, and Tucker doesn't need to be great.  Atlanta despite not have a true decent ace, is great defensively.  Rather deep.  I guess you could call it "pitching by committee"

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2021, 11:57:16 PM »
Atlanta's bullpen takes over for the starting Dylan Lee after one third of an inning, and the bats do the rest. The Braves are one game away from winning their first World Championship since 1995.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2021, 12:03:14 AM »
Not sure what the conventional wisdom was in starting Dylan Lee apart from him going 2/3 of an inning in game 2 (0 ER, 1 K) when Julio Chavez was slated at first. Good thing it worked out by the 27th out. Framber Valdez vs. Tucker Davidson for game 5.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2021, 12:08:04 AM »
Alex Anthopoulos really went all in on this 2021 season at the trade deadline and it looks like its about to pay off. I'm not sensing a 3-1 comeback from the Astros like the Cubs had in 2016. The nanosecond Swanson hit that tying home run this felt a Braves game and sure enough Soler followed it up in the very next at bat. One thing is for certain, the relevance of starting pitching has really declined, for better, for worse, or for indifferent.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2021, 01:12:26 PM »
Yeah, I don't think Houston will pull a 2016 Cubs either, but I might change my mind if the Astros escape with a win tonight.  As mentioned, I didn't think Atlanta would get it done (early in the process before picking them to beat Houston in the World Series), but it's amazing what they've done without Acuna.  The difference between Houston and Chicago is that the latter had to win both of their last three games on the road.  Houston going back home would be huge for them.  Not automatic, but that would be a big deal.  Nonetheless, I think it's over for them tonight

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2021, 02:49:07 PM »
Snitker says he'll use the same strategy. Use Davidson for an inning or two and then the bullpen takes over. For all I know, the Astros will pants the Braves and take their lunch money the next three games. I'll be in bed as I work ridiculously early (4 AM), but should I hear the din of people partying on highway 9 just a mile south of me, I'll know what happened.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 02:52:03 PM by Ccook »
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2021, 12:24:26 AM »
Houston forces Game 5, posting 9 mostly unanswered runs after a grand slam. The Braves will have to clinch on the road.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2021, 01:27:02 AM »
You mean game 6. And with Fried starting game 6, there will probably be a game 7 unless Fried gets his mojo back.
--Michel de Montaigne