Author Topic: Back to ‘72 questions  (Read 5786 times)

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Beware my red pen....
Back to ‘72 questions
« on: October 18, 2021, 10:38:22 PM »
Two questions:

Does anyone know where they are finding these original prizes?

Do contestants win them if they get the price within the provided range of $50?
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
Re: Back to ‘72 questions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 11:14:10 PM »
1. I assume you mean the physical props they're using. Not exactly sure. Maybe they know a good pawn shop or two.

2. Thanks to a Back to '72 winner winning the showcase, we know that the SP prices are included in the winnings. What we don't know is if they're getting said prizes or a cash equivalent, though I'd likely say it's a cash equivalent, similar to what they do for the GP in Rat Race.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 11:52:53 PM »
2. Thanks to a Back to '72 winner winning the showcase, we know that the SP prices are included in the winnings. What we don't know is if they're getting said prizes or a cash equivalent, though I'd likely say it's a cash equivalent, similar to what they do for the GP in Rat Race.

I know that the contestant gets any leftover money in Lucky Seven, but are you saying that the contestant gets the cash equivalent of the grocery items in Rat Race? I didn’t know that.

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 12:05:23 AM »
It would honestly not surprise me if they were just looking up the items on eBay -- just for the convenience of everything. The items are most likely for display only and cash awarded in lieu of the items. It would be tacky of them to award 50+ year old products.
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 12:25:06 AM »
I know that the contestant gets any leftover money in Lucky Seven, but are you saying that the contestant gets the cash equivalent of the grocery items in Rat Race? I didn’t know that.

Yes, Scott confirmed this some time ago that they get a check equivalent to the GP price.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 10:32:57 AM »
1. I assume you mean the physical props they're using. Not exactly sure. Maybe they know a good pawn shop or two.

You'd be surprised at the kind of stuff you can make with a 3D printer...
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 12:01:05 PM »
Yes, Scott confirmed this some time ago that they get a check equivalent to the GP price.

I was wondering about that. I remember in the premiere playing of Rat Race, the GP was a pack of cheese slices. How could they have sent a perishable like that to the contestant as a prize unless they gave him a coupon or something? Now it makes total sense.

Is the check rounded to the nearest dollar like when people win the piggy bank in Any Number?

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 02:50:19 PM »
How come each time they play Back to '72 (including today, when they played it on the new Halloween episode), Drew says something like, "We have the original copy to describe the prizes as they read it back in 1972"?

Would it really be so hard for him to mention Johnny Olson by name?  Or is there something I'm not aware of?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 08:51:24 PM »
It’s a name that has virtually zero meaning to the majority of the target audience. It makes far more sense the way it’s being done.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 10:35:42 PM »
It’s a name that has virtually zero meaning to the majority of the target audience. It makes far more sense the way it’s being done.
I don't buy that explanation, especially since now you have a generation of older teens and young adults—part of the show's target audience, mind you—that have no recollection of Bob Barker ever hosting the Price is Right. If the show is fine with mentioning Bob Barker, then I don't see why they would have an issue bringing up Johnny's name.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 10:50:13 PM »
It's probably due to the fact that Drew doesn't know the name off of memory. That simple.

He never watched the show regularly before he hosted. He never met Johnny. Just not something he's gonna remember.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 11:23:06 PM »
I don't buy that explanation, especially since now you have a generation of older teens and young adults—part of the show's target audience, mind you—that have no recollection of Bob Barker ever hosting the Price is Right. If the show is fine with mentioning Bob Barker, then I don't see why they would have an issue bringing up Johnny's name.

Hosts and announcers aren’t the same. You’re going to find more people who can recognize a hist by name. He was associated with the show longer, was the primary face and didn’t pass away more than three decades ago. There is no practical reason to do it.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 11:30:15 PM »
The people who grew up watching the show with Bob hosting in the late 80s and 90s also grew up with Rod announcing, so they would know Rod but much less likely know who Johnny was. I only knew of Johnny being the announcer from watching the classic episodes on Game Show Network when I could.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 09:43:05 PM »
Hosts and announcers aren’t the same. You’re going to find more people who can recognize a hist by name. He was associated with the show longer, was the primary face and didn’t pass away more than three decades ago. There is no practical reason to do it.
I don't disagree with the fact that Bob Barker is probably the more recognizable of the two, but Johnny was still a huge part of the show, and I would reckon anybody who watched the show back then would still be able to tell who he was. I still contend that there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't mention Johnny's name at least once.

Besides, George Gray has deliberately gone out of his way to imitate Johnny during B272's prize descriptions. If he's going to do that, then the viewers at home unaware of Johnny's contribution to the show deserve to know why.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 10:02:48 PM »
Just to check, they wouldn't need to get express permission from any current members of the Olson (and/or Roddy) families to do so?