Studio 46 - Non-TPiR Discussion > Out In Left Field

College Hoops 2021-2022

(1/7) > >>

SeaBreeze341:
I can't believe it's here already, but the 2021-2022 College Basketball is upon us!  The upcoming season will start in 5 Days (as of this post) and last about four months and 4 days before the Selection Sunday Show, two days before the start of the dance (specifically the First Four).

Things get started on November 9th, 2021 with the Championship Classic featuring Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, and Kentucky.  Those schools combine for 18 National Champions in the modern era of the game (22 overall I believe), and a ton more Final Four appearances.

There will be several early season Tournaments that may or may not affect one's participation into the postseason.  Aside from that, most of everyone will play non-conference games prior to the all but exclusive conference games from around the New Year through the end of February into the beginning of March.  While the regular season concludes on Selection Sunday (March 13th, 2022), the week leading up to that date will feature conference tournaments; most will conclude the Saturday before & a couple on that Sunday.  That's mainly the Big conferences; some of the others could wrap up early in the week or even a week plus before.

The Postseason gets started on 03/15 & 03/16 with the first four (on TruTV).  The main part of March Madness gets underway on Thursday, March 17th, 2022.  The first two rounds take place on TBS, CBS, TNT and TruTV from 03/17 - 03/20, and the following week, the Regionals take place from 03/24 - 03/27 on TBS & CBS.

The NCAA Tournament will conclude the following weekend featuring the winners of the games played on March 26th & March 27.  The Final Four starts on April 2nd, and it concludes on April 4th with the National Championship game starring the winners of the 04/02 games.  TBS has exclusive coverage of the tourney's final three games.

Two big notes are that this the final year for Coach K, and the first year in decades without Roy Williams.  The former UNC coach retired last year, and Mike Krzyzewski announced the end of an era, effective whenever Duke's season ends, but it's a wrap for the 5 time champion after 42 years.  Probably didn't think Boeheim would outlast him, and there may be effort for Jim to reach fifty seasons, which would occur by coaching Syracuse up to spring 2026.

While I've considered picking Duke for the win, I'll wait until Tuesday.  I did pick Villanova last year, but early.  I don't think I picked them for my main bracket though.  Anyway, Nova did make it out of the first week before losing to the eventual champions Baylor.  This is slated to be the first full season since 2018-2019, so I don't think we're getting a team heading into the NCAA Tournament or even senior week / Conference Tourney week undefeated.  Gonzaga could complete unfinished business, but it likely will be a tougher road this year

ooboh:
I'm hoping Maryland pulls out a stunner and wins it all this year. It would be a fitting end to my undergraduate career. Go Terps!

SeaBreeze341:
It would also be fitting if Maryland won 20 years after their most recent title!

Forgot to mention a couple of things in my original post: The CBS Sports Classic is slated for the week before Christmas (December 18th, 2021).  Once again it'll feature one of the four teams playing in the Championship classic in Kentucky, who'll face Ohio State, while North Carolina squares off against UCLA.

Six fouls apparently is the target for DQ, despite the total regulation time remaining at 40:00.  Though it could be curtains for a player if someone gets to four within a half

SeaBreeze341:
It's Jimmy V Week (27'th annual), and nearly 30 years since Coach Valvano's speech, one of his best friends is going through his own journey of never giving up.  Dick Vitale recently returned to announcing games for ESPN, and he is the latest inspiration for cancer fighters out there.  Past icons include Stuart Scott, Craig Sager, Robin Roberts, and Jim Kelly.

It's always a nice day when College Hoops returns to CBS.  Looks like the post-season version of the CBS theme (a theme remixed for the Turner/CBS era of March Madness) has been made permanent to the regular season after a decade or so.  Unless I forgot and they had it last year.  Michigan wins big; maybe it's the first half of a double for the Wolverines on Championship Saturday!

This could be the year of top teams falling to teams they have no business falling to.  To be fair, Duke losing to Ohio State does nothing to the eventual outcome.  If the Blue Devils miss out on something, it'll be a lot of stuff (and yeah, OSU beating them in the ACC/Big 10 challenge will be a factor).

Due to that upset and several other stuff, Purdue is slated to be ranked Number One for the first time ever.  That is rather surprising TBH.

Speaking of the Boilermakers, they are slated as the Top Overall Seed in the first prediction for March Madness.  Super Early, but it would be nice to see Purdue do well enough to reach New Orleans this season

moneygamelover:
Well, the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers will remain the most recent undefeated team in College Basketball as Baylor, who was the very last undefeated team, suffered a 75-72 setback at the hands of an underrated Texas Tech program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version