Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune Season 39...  (Read 30427 times)

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Wheel of Fortune Season 39...
« on: November 06, 2021, 02:19:04 AM »
For those who watch Wheel of Fortune Season 39, I'm noticing that we have not had that many Bonus Round wins this season even with the minimum $39,000.   I gotta wonder is the Sony Budget really this bad lately?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Wheel of Fortune Season 39...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 06:20:06 AM »
...it's Sony. Need I say more?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 10:47:26 AM »
Plus, it's November.  We're not even a week into the month.  In addition to that, the lack of bonus round wins isn't new.  Maybe the win-loss rate is worse this year than in past years.  FWIW, there was mention a couple years ago about the lack of WOF BR wins during the Jeopardy James Era.  Given the Matt Amodio Era recently ended, there could be a link to that.  Probably just a coincidence but as mentioned, we're dealing with Sony
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Not exactly "Left Field" avatars.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 11:17:43 AM »
I highly suspect that companies are cutting back TV and film budgets to catch up on executive pay (Sony and Fremantle included, and it doesn't just impact game shows). Unfortunately, there's not really anything that those outside the business can do about that.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 01:25:38 PM »
Any business is going to have different properties with their own line items. The idea they are somehow balancing Jeopardy on the Wheel line makes for silly conspiracy theories but little else.

Matt’s wins were nowhere near as large as James’ save for one 80K game. The show is still giving away decent money most days regardless of going to one contestant or a succession of them.

Some things just work out the way they do. Wheel gives away a lot of money (prizes included) in the main game most shows. The bonus round has long been hard with laughably obscure puzzles.

Beyond that, while the set changes are somewhat nice, and they’ve somewhat toned down the obnoxious themes visually, the pimping out of the show seems more glaring than ever. This Disney princess week was over the top.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 01:36:44 PM »
Plus, it's November.  We're not even a week into the month.  In addition to that, the lack of bonus round wins isn't new.  Maybe the win-loss rate is worse this year than in past years.  FWIW, there was mention a couple years ago about the lack of WOF BR wins during the Jeopardy James Era.  Given the Matt Amodio Era recently ended, there could be a link to that.  Probably just a coincidence but as mentioned, we're dealing with Sony

I absolutely believe that the two show's budgets influence each other. Holzhauer was breaking six figures on a semi-regular basis and Wheel's bonus round went 0-20 in the last four weeks of the season. I have no evidence to prove it, but I refuse to believe that was a coincidence.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 11:09:20 AM »
I absolutely believe that the two show's budgets influence each other. Holzhauer was breaking six figures on a semi-regular basis and Wheel's bonus round went 0-20 in the last four weeks of the season. I have no evidence to prove it, but I refuse to believe that was a coincidence.

Although as mentioned in other posts, he was winning far more than normal champions do - so even though we had a long term champion recently, the actual money given out was nowhere near as much, much more like any other winner would get.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 12:12:18 PM »
Although as mentioned in other posts, he was winning far more than normal champions do - so even though we had a long term champion recently, the actual money given out was nowhere near as much, much more like any other winner would get.

J! was actually giving away more money than Wheel this season, even adding the 2000/1000 consolations and the second and third place winnings on Wheel.

Most J! champions finish with around $25K per day. Most Wheel champs finish with around $18K without a Bonus Round win and about $60K with one, so you could say a typical Wheel bonus round winner is equivalent to a typical three-day champ on J!.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 12:19:46 PM by RatRace10 »

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 01:04:50 PM »
But at least $7K of what Wheel offers is a sponsored trip, which I'm sure doesn't cost Sony the full package since like other game shows like Price, they're offered for free or less than retail, and much of the time, the hotel/airfare doesn't cost as much as announced since this assumes Christmas week prices. Wheel on average gives away around $50K per show (or around $10 million a season), which is still more than what the average Jeopardy! winner takes home, even after taking into account trips.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 10:27:37 PM »
The bonus puzzle tonight: WAVY LAGOON

What the hell?! I remember the young guy from a couple years ago who got WAVY OCEAN because he picked W and V. I know oceans are known for waves, but lagoons?! Who has ever said those two words together?

Why couldn't they just do LAGOON? I've been watching a lot of 90s and 2000s eps on youtube lately and a lot of the bonus puzzles were just one simple word. I can't even the remember the last time I saw a one-word bonus round puzzle on wheel. Maybe like three years ago?

Monday's puzzle BUZZING WITH IDEAS was no picnic either, but at least it's something people have said and the contestant actually solved it by some miracle.

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 11:25:45 PM »
I can't even the remember the last time I saw a one-word bonus round puzzle on wheel. Maybe like three years ago?

Apparently we had a one word WHAT ARE YOU DOING bonus round puzzle earlier this season.   It was PIVOTING.   It was apparently not solved because the difficulty of this puzzle was a 9 out of 10 on the hard scale AND you needed to be letter perfect on this one.

THING and WHAT ARE YOU DOING are choices I personally would NOT pick for the Bonus Round.   BOTH categories had a lot of hard puzzles in recent years.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 11:27:49 PM »
Phrase is also one of the worst. Not too long ago the Phrase was I BOUGHT A VOWEL, which people don't even say on the show in the past tense. And last season there was I TOOK A QUICK JAUNT.

They might as well make one of the three categories like Level 6 on Whew! and put a block behind one of them, and if you pick that one, it's an Automatic Loss.  :lol:

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 12:10:57 AM »
The bonus puzzle tonight: WAVY LAGOON

What the hell?! I remember the young guy from a couple years ago who got WAVY OCEAN because he picked W and V. I know oceans are known for waves, but lagoons?! Who has ever said those two words together?

Me thinks they were forcing a loss in the Bonus Round and it worked.   And it was a mandatory letter perfect puzzle.   You needed to be REAL lucky with your letter picks as there was only ONE correct combination of letters that worked.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 12:27:35 AM »
I honestly think the puzzles are computer generated. Like, they have a "word bank" and it picks a combination of those words. Living Thing is always ADORABLE... GORGEOUS... BABY... NEWBORN... prefacing the actual animal.

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 01:51:29 AM »
I honestly think the puzzles are computer generated. Like, they have a "word bank" and it picks a combination of those words. Living Thing is always ADORABLE... GORGEOUS... BABY... NEWBORN... prefacing the actual animal.

I've noticed this with LIVING THING too.   (although LIVING THING is one of my favorite categories)

We had a tough LIVING THING this week in Bonus Land: FINICKY CATS (on Monday's episode)

Two contestants on Tuesday and Wednesday this week made a fatal mistake picking WHAT ARE YOU DOING for Bonus Land.   (BUYING A WHOLE BUNCH/QUACKING LIKE A DUCK)