Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune Season 39...  (Read 30442 times)

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Joker's Wild ...and deadly.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
Re: Wheel of Fortune Season 39...
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 11:08:13 AM »
No, it is not about the category choice. Also, BUYING A WHOLE BUNCH isn't quite as hard if you can figure out "a whole bunch". Someone who does so could easily pick G-H-B-U as their letters, and that would fill in most of the first word. BAMBOO GROVE (Place) was actually a harder puzzle even though it was solved.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 04:35:36 PM »
Why do I have a feeling that they're going to do I BOUGHT A WHOLE BUNCH as Phrase later this season?

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 01:50:26 AM »
BAMBOO GROVE (Place) was actually a harder puzzle even though it was solved.

I was even surprised Stacy solved that one.   She was smart with three of her letter picks.   

Why do I have a feeling that they're going to do I BOUGHT A WHOLE BUNCH as Phrase later this season?

I think here's one worse: TAKING A QUICK JAUNT for a future WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

In some past seasons, they had OUTFOX THE COMPETITION for PHRASE and OUTFOXING THE COMPETITION for WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 11:54:51 PM »
Was anyone else's WOF preempted by some shopping infomercial tonight? Just seemed so random, especially because Friday's Jeopardy still aired...

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2021, 02:57:00 AM »
Was anyone else's WOF preempted by some shopping infomercial tonight? Just seemed so random, especially because Friday's Jeopardy still aired...

Not mine.   But apparently this week one category in Bonus Land just hit 10 losses.   Ay yi yi.   

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2021, 07:53:51 AM »
I missed it due to sleep but WPVI just aired Wheel at 3:00 after a rebroadcast of World News Tonight.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2021, 08:03:17 AM »
I just look at a recap whenever my market changes Wheel’s slot. No way in hell I’m watching it at 4:00 AM.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2021, 11:41:45 AM »
Yes, ABC O&O stations that air Wheel at 7:30 preempted it for a Localish special last night. There are Localish and other specials that air in Wheel's timeslot throughout the year on occasion which preempt Wheel on ABC O&Os. Last night's episode aired on WABC at 4am, whenever it is preempted it will air either overnight like this or they push the new episodes back a day so that Friday's episode airs in the Saturday rerun slot.

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2021, 12:03:08 PM »
Now I am really thinking to myself this: should future contestants avoid WHAT ARE YOU DOING if offered as a choice in the Bonus Round?   Season 38, that category had the most Bonus Puzzle losses (it had over 20 losses).   Barely three months into season 39, that category hit loss #10.   This category has the most cruel puzzles this season.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2021, 12:24:48 PM »
Now I am really thinking to myself this: should future contestants avoid WHAT ARE YOU DOING if offered as a choice in the Bonus Round?   Season 38, that category had the most Bonus Puzzle losses (it had over 20 losses).   Barely three months into season 39, that category hit loss #10.   This category has the most cruel puzzles this season.

They should but they won't. People pick it because they think they have an advantage because of the guaranteed ING, but most of them pick G-consonant-consonant-I and get little to no help.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2021, 01:43:09 PM »
Generally speaking, this is how I'd rank the Bonus Round categories in order of difficulty:

Easy
On The Map
Occupation
Person
Place
Show Biz

Medium
Phrase
Around The House
Fun & Games
What Are You Wearing?
Event
Character

Hard
Food & Drink
In The Kitchen
Living Thing
Thing
What Are You Doing?

A player named Amy on that other show is just the latest blow to the budget. Hopefully Secret Santa will be nice.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2021, 04:53:56 PM »
They should but they won't. People pick it because they think they have an advantage because of the guaranteed ING, but most of them pick G-consonant-consonant-I and get little to no help.

Here are a few examples which resulted in losses: BLUFFING.   WAVING.   This year PIVOTING.   Oh I hate the one worder What are you doing bonus puzzles.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2021, 09:36:27 AM »

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think that revealing letters they already know is a good strategy.

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2021, 11:14:20 PM »
I really hope nobody watched tonight's episode....I saw it and ugh...

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2021, 07:38:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure that there's a "word bank" that ensures all of these trap words. Another site has a thread called "words that are never won", and QUIRKY was right up there. I got the whole puzzle (QUIRKY HUMOR) with the contestant's picks, but there seems to be an unwritten rule that a puzzle must have a J, K, Q, V, or Z within them. Most Wheel contestants though aren't megafans and go with the flow too much. That and a category for a decade that half of everyone alive wasn't old enough to remember firsthand.

It's a shame that there aren't returning champions, although I'd devise it where you stay on until you either solve a bonus puzzle, or stay on for three shows. Each time you fail at the BR, you get an extra consonant to make your chances easier if you make another appearance. The Australian version of Wheel had a format similar to that. Even if you retire undefeated and strike out at the BR, you still end up with around $50K, which is what many who win the car/$39K end up with around. The contestant pool also would seem fresher and more interesting even if fewer players get to spin, and I don't know why there has never been "Wheel of Fortune Live!" just like Price since the show could take a similar Wheel on the road and award cash/prizes (just use the 1975 Wheel amounts and the Goen-level prizes, as well as the Ceramic Dalmatian prize wedge). WoF Live! would be a great way to groom the replacements for Pat/Vanna as well.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 07:41:32 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/