Front Office > The Front Office

Timeline issues

<< < (2/2)

SteveGavazzi:

--- Quote from: GameShowFan1987 on November 25, 2021, 11:02:28 AM ---There are already clickable links at the top of the timeline so navigating wouldn't really feel all that different.
--- End quote ---

Actually, that's just a table of contents for that one page.  It exists because I have each season coded as a separate section.

Now, that's not to say that I won't create something similar once I have to split the timeline, but it'll exist for a different reason.

GameShowFan1987:
Totally get what you're saying. I'm just saying the navigation would still have the same feel to it. In any event, 100% on board with whatever you ultimately decide to do.

GuyWithFace:
I would recommend going with the split-up approach now, in order to avoid even the possibility of reaching the maximum page size. There is also the fact that if you were to edit a season section, as it currently is you would have to edit the single-page Timeline and the dedicated season page (the latter, if not immediately, then at some point). Further, it is entirely possible that the webhost could cut the physical memory again, perhaps even permanently.

Best to avoid the headaches now, rather than later.

Roadgeek Adam:

--- Quote from: GuyWithFace on November 25, 2021, 02:56:01 PM ---I would recommend going with the split-up approach now, in order to avoid even the possibility of reaching the maximum page size. There is also the fact that if you were to edit a season section, as it currently is you would have to edit the single-page Timeline and the dedicated season page (the latter, if not immediately, then at some point). Further, it is entirely possible that the webhost could cut the physical memory again, perhaps even permanently.

Best to avoid the headaches now, rather than later.

--- End quote ---

Speaking as a Wikipedia editor who writers insanely long articles, there is no real limit, but the functionality of the page starts to suffer.

Chelsea:

--- Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 25, 2021, 03:12:02 PM ---Speaking as a Wikipedia editor who writers insanely long articles, there is no real limit, but the functionality of the page starts to suffer.

--- End quote ---

Speaking as the person who installed our build of Mediawiki, the default maximum is approximately 2MB.

However I also think I've just figured out how to change that after all.  Except that, as you note: Page performance starts to suffer (as we saw this weekend), and as we're on a shared webhost we aren't exactly working with a lot of bandwidth here. 

Anyway, timeline is Steve's baby, he can do with it as he likes.

Trouble has passed, and what Steve does with the timeline isn't really a debate, so locking this up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version