Author Topic: Currently, what are your thoughts on To The Penny? [Spoilers for 12/9/2021 Show]  (Read 6952 times)

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
On today's show, we again had the scenario where the contestant guessed the correct price on the first try for the first four items, leading to a default $25,000. Although it was a cool moment (albeit some of the oomph was taken out because Drew didn't recognized that that could be the final action right away), I felt less excited than if $20k was won on Time is Money or Hot Seat, or $16k on It's In The Bag.

Maybe it's because it's rare for those games to be won very quickly after one another? It took 40 playings for the full $20,000 to be won twice on Time is Money, and 20 playings for Hot Seat. But to counter that, I remember being more shocked when Bag started out this season going 2-0, and a bailout away from 3-0 for the $16k.

Maybe I'm not enjoying this game as much because the game is complicated to grasp, yet in reality, is very forgiving? Reading through the recap thread of TTP's premiere, most of the praise was because of its strategic nature. The only other games that had a lesser level of "strategy" were Barker's Markers, and maybe holding the Ace in the earlier playings of Card Game?

Although the optionality of actions makes it an interesting game from the player's perspective, in my head, there just aren't stakes until the contestant is down to 0 or 1 pennies, and when it gets to that point, the contestant is most likely going to bail out. If the show is going to continue to make the first item a freebie, I don't see how the contestant realistically bails out before spending at least one penny on the $6,000 value either.

Maybe the fact the game is generous isn't a problem. However, compared to other cash games in the same vein, Seat averages about $5,341 given away every playing (adjusting the two Big Money playings to the standard ladder), Time averages $5,226, and Bag averages $3,045 (again, adjusting the one time it was bailed out during BMW to the standard ladder). With the current rules, I don't see how TTP's average drops below $6k. Heck, I can only see one path to losing (the contestant makes it to the $12,000 level with two or pennies left, spends them both (or one and a wrong guess) to eliminate choices, and then whiffs on the 50-50.)

Currently, I feel it's a game that is to complicated to get attached to, but in reality, gives too much avenue for major money to be given away.

I remember when we were speculating how the game was going to be played from various press releases, user gamesurf suggested that maybe the game is played like Duel, where you cover up all the choices you think could be correct. If you don't cover the right choice, the game is over, but if you do, you lose any pennies that are covering wrong choices. I feel that would fix the game for me - the threat of one misstep causing an instant loss makes more sense to the audience, and it still allows for the strategy of playing perfectly the first four GPs instead of getting lucky in a 50-50 guess. I personally would want TTP's rules to be changed to that.

Am I crazy though? Maybe it should be just as easy as Back to '72, and I'm just a scrooge? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
I don't mind it as is, but I can see how playing it like Duel would add a dash of suspense to it.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
I feel like 5 playings is really tough make anything but a small sample size out of. I feel like the end of the season might be a better time to come to this conclusion. The $25,000 perfecto playings definitely lose some drama, but it's the equivalent of Cover when there's 1 number left and the column has only 1 number left.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
Since being introduced, how many times was $25,000 won?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Twice, and it appears that every outright win were ones where the winners played a perfect game.  No successful risk from $12,000 to $25,000 yet
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
It’s honestly no different than in Lucky $even if the contestant makes it to the last number with at least $5 left.  The contestant has played the game smartly / luckily and is rewarded for it.

Look at it this way: the odds of the contestant getting to the last product being an “auto win” are 1:120.  That’s certainly worse odds than many of the other cash games on the show.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
I highly doubt we're going to see $25,000 "auto wins" 40% of the time going forward. The first playing was intentionally made easy and the contestant today did really well. I would guess we'll see 1-2 $25k auto wins per season going forward, and I'm OK with that. The one change I'd make is to not allow a contestant to bail out in the middle of a level. For example, if a contestant earns $6,000 and has two pennies left, they'd have to choose if they want to continue for $12,000. If they continue and then make two wrong guesses, they go home with nothing; they would not be given the option to leave with $6,000 after making the first wrong guess.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
The game does seem a bit too easy right now with two full wins in five playings, but as mentioned they made the first playing really easy and it was just really well played today. They probably weren't expecting anyone to go mistake free or not use any pennies to eliminate wrong prices through the first four levels.

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
The one change I'd make is to not allow a contestant to bail out in the middle of a level. For example, if a contestant earns $6,000 and has two pennies left, they'd have to choose if they want to continue for $12,000. If they continue and then make two wrong guesses, they go home with nothing; they would not be given the option to leave with $6,000 after making the first wrong guess.

So, basically, the pennies would function like the power chips from Catch 21. I think that’s a great idea.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that playing it like Duel or Catch 21 would really work.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
The only thought I had yesterday is the last GP has either been hopeless and immediately bailed out or an auto win. I want to see some drama there.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline jcs290

• Outside in Line
My similar thoughts from another thread about TtP...

After watching several TtP playings now, if still feels as if something is "off" about it. There are too many elements and feels like a game designed by-committee (which it probably was).

"Let's bring back Penny Ante for Season 50"
"But, let's play it for cash"
"Then we HAVE to add a money tree"
"And an all-or-nothing component"
"How about we let people eliminate a wrong answer, like a lifeline!"
"Yeah, if they're still wrong they can buy another choice...like a lifeline!"

I think this game could work better as a straight game of "spend a penny for every wrong guess; you go broke you lose everything." Reduce to 4 pennies to make the last level no better than a 50/50 shot at the $25K.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Recaps can feel like a behemoth task.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
I think the rules are good as they are. They'll most likely use more difficult prices next season, anyway.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Online tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
The glaring problem with the game is how sloggy the end of the game gets with the automatic win.  The fourth price is revealed right (at this point everyone knows the $$$ is won), move to the next item, "hey, you have enough pennies to eliminate all the wrong answers", gives up pennies, reveal correct price.  It's too slow.

Shell and Bonus have the same problem, but the Bonus reveal is instant and Shell has the doubler chance.  If it wasn't a 25K prize I would say that if you got to the final item with all the pennies you got one free guess to double up.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Shell and Bonus have the same problem, but the Bonus reveal is instant and Shell has the doubler chance.  If it wasn't a 25K prize I would say that if you got to the final item with all the pennies you got one free guess to double up.

Honestly, guessing the last price for $50,000 is not something I'd disagree with. Getting to the last item with all five pennies intact will be rare in and of itself (more difficult than it currently looks), so the bonus guess wouldn't even happen all that often. It would reward especially smart shoppers, which is the entire concept of The Price Is Right.

In that case, the question would be, "should the bonus guess be risk-free or for double-or-nothing?"