Author Topic: Your Prediction for Next Refurbished Game  (Read 7429 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: Your Prediction for Next Refurbished Game
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 09:51:05 AM »
I wouldn’t have a problem with a set change to Money Game, and I agree that they’d likely “add technology” to it.  If so, it would be no big deal, IMO.  Personally, it wouldn’t make too much sense to update it unless the game was more automatic and less manual.  If they actually did what you’re suggesting, I could see the third set looking almost like the current one, but with the modifications.

It’s kind of amazing they haven’t done this already TBH.  Maybe they’ll update it around the time of the game fiftieth anniversary in about a year from now.

For a second, I also thought of a similar upgrade to Cover Up.  The problem is that game (and even Switcheroo) is more contestant involved; it would take away from the player’s participation in the game should they even move away from manual to automatic.

Overall, I’m in agreement with Blozier.  If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.  However, I'm on the fence with Money Game as the perfect emergency game.  They could still update it, but in a way that they could still use the cardboards in the event Money Game itself "crashed".  On the other hand, they are more options today just in case.  Not sure if Gridlock is the best example, however.  I guess they'd have to play Pick A Number a lot more as a NCFC!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 10:19:00 AM »
Money Game could just use a new paint job. The old pastel paint jobs are terrible looking now. Just a simple paint job would take care of Money.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 12:45:33 PM »
Heartily disagree... in the Barker era, at least, they deliberately kept Money Game "tech free" so they could use it as a backup car game in case another, more modern game went on the fritz; by screwing it up with touchscreen garbage, you'd eliminate that utility.

Technology improves, though, and the odds multiple games wouldn't be available seem slim at best.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 05:19:55 PM »
Technology improves, though, and the odds multiple games wouldn't be available seem slim at best.

It's not necessarily a matter of what's available, though.  It's a matter of what's fast in the middle of a taping.

And generally speaking, what's fast is Money Game.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 05:31:57 PM »
Now or Then.

Magic #, because why not?
Quiet.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 05:50:00 PM »
Okay, in my defense, when I think of out of place things, the first thing that comes to mind is the monitor in between the two prizes. There's no reason for that to be there, and if they're going to fix that, I'd assume they'd modify the board as well.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 05:56:48 PM »
Okay, in my defense, when I think of out of place things, the first thing that comes to mind is the monitor in between the two prizes. There's no reason for that to be there, and if they're going to fix that, I'd assume they'd modify the board as well.
What pricing game are you talking about?
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 07:03:18 PM »
What pricing game are you talking about?

I'm not 9821, but unless he's talking about Magic #, my guess is that I think 9821 is referring to games like Bargain Game, One Right Price, and Switch?
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 07:36:06 PM »
In my opinion, the game in most need of a new set is Line Em Up. The current set looks too 90s ish and needs to be brought into the 21st century.

Pick a Number needs a set that's a lot less busy. Also, I'd drop a color. Green and yellow go well together and so do orange and yellow, but I don't think mixing all 3 works that well. Holistically, this game's set is just too busy.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 07:24:09 AM »
I think, after nearly a quarter of a century, Spelling Bee deserves a refurbishment.  Especially since it could be a matter of time before the Eggcrate display starts to fail.

They did update the cards n 2008 to $1000 instead of $500, and change the card results from Eurostile to Impact font - that was a slight refurbishment at that, though they still use Eurostile on the small prize displays.

Offline Chris88

• Outside in Line
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 12:50:00 PM »
Heartily disagree... in the Barker era, at least, they deliberately kept Money Game "tech free" so they could use it as a backup car game in case another, more modern game went on the fritz; by screwing it up with touchscreen garbage, you'd eliminate that utility.
I doubt that now because alot of the games use tech now and Money game prob would not breakdown by using touchscreens.

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 04:52:53 PM »
I'm normally against refurbishing games. I love how the set is a melange of different styles and trends - that gives the show a wealth of character. Getting to see the most hyper-modern sets stand side-by-side with relics from the '70s, I love it! The oddness of the gaudy That's Too Much set, the blocky and imposing Line 'Em Up board, the vintage cash register of Grocery Game, rustic Cliff Hangers, and the bold retro kitchiness of the Pay The Rent rooms, all together? An absolute wonder to behold. Even though most repaints and redesigns are well-done, the show loses a little something every time. Not much, just a little.

But I just took another look at Triple Play, and man, that's not a good-looking game.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 06:15:09 PM »
Huh, I must be the only one who actually likes all the pricing game props as is.

The question, however, is about objective predictions and not subjective opinions, so to answer,  I'd have to say Race Game. Surely somebody on staff is eyeing the original jukebox and thinking "man, we really need to get rid of that."
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 10:08:10 PM »
I'm normally against refurbishing games. I love how the set is a melange of different styles and trends - that gives the show a wealth of character. Getting to see the most hyper-modern sets stand side-by-side with relics from the '70s, I love it! The oddness of the gaudy That's Too Much set, the blocky and imposing Line 'Em Up board, the vintage cash register of Grocery Game, rustic Cliff Hangers, and the bold retro kitchiness of the Pay The Rent rooms, all together? An absolute wonder to behold. Even though most repaints and redesigns are well-done, the show loses a little something every time. Not much, just a little.
For the most part I agree with this-- I like how the games have unique looks and while some look dated, I like how the games represent the decade they were created in.

That said, they will continue doing refurbishments and set changes. It could be to add current technology like possibly converting Money Game to use touch screens and adding graphics, or complete overhauls where they could see need with Triple Play or Pick a Number.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 09:30:40 AM »
Shopping Spree deserves a Penny Ante-style makeover by getting left out to rot in a storm.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.