Author Topic: To Tell the Truth Mishap to Guest's Property By Celebrity 2022  (Read 8522 times)

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
Re: To Tell the Truth Mishap to Guest's Property By Celebrity 2022
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2022, 08:24:57 PM »
Nobody beyond a few people who were directly involved are going to care about this in another 2 or 3 weeks, get real.

Also I don't know why they wouldn't bring Damon Wayans on considering it was Marlon who ripped the tag off the beanie baby.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2022, 02:19:02 PM »
also, this shows, imo, that the modern show made it too focused on the celebs and their antics that borderline on older Harvey Feud level jokes

and how behaved the older versions' panel were for the most part (save for some comments by Bill Cullen involving birds in hand)

(edited to clarify what i was complaining about with the focus on the newer version)

And that's how the show has done well enough to get multiple seasons on ABC. It isn't the '50s anymore and what gets viewers is different.

And I'm sorry, but if someone thinks anyone "flushed their career down the toilet" over...ripping a tag off a beanie baby....that's beyond hard to take seriously. Proverbially no one outside of a board like this cares a lick about this. They certainly aren't going to remember it, and it certainly is not going to be a factor in ABC's decision to bring the show back or not.

This whole discussion brings to mind a funny SNL skit (and not just for Lizzo almost losing it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatUernhzNw

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2022, 03:13:44 PM »
And that's how the show has done well enough to get multiple seasons on ABC. It isn't the '50s anymore and what gets viewers is different.

And I'm sorry, but if someone thinks anyone "flushed their career down the toilet" over...ripping a tag off a beanie baby....that's beyond hard to take seriously. Proverbially no one outside of a board like this cares a lick about this. They certainly aren't going to remember it, and it certainly is not going to be a factor in ABC's decision to bring the show back or not.

This whole discussion brings to mind a funny SNL skit (and not just for Lizzo almost losing it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatUernhzNw

"Funny SNL skit" is an oxymoron

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2022, 03:46:33 PM »
Well, maybe insurance might care I do not know how thay do it is to tell the truth but ya it might be a problem (I remember reading price is right had a problem after the 'million dollar spectacular' with "prize insurance". and I know many collectors have insurance on their objects that might threaten to drop coverage of contestants going on the show due to risk . (I know I made the thread, but I want to give other people chances to respond before I give my own, as I want to hear other people responses, and not just peoples opinions about my response.) I am not sure at all the caveats but that's just a possibility I am entertaining.

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2022, 03:54:24 PM »
On a different note about the comment from GRWHAMMY the 2nd.I think jokes are ok sometimes. (sometimes it is a distraction if it goes to long and way too off-topic and we here almost nothing) I like this version, I made this to see if longer time fans who have seen many shows come and gone would have any idea if they think the show will have another season. but a buzzer system like the old version would likely be a good idea to avoid the problem sometimes of one person talking over and we do not hear anyone else. I also was wondering if this was more of a final nail in the coffin situation. being as I listed in the beginning he is going on law and order, (i've seen him in ads on the network airing law and order) and leaving the 'ish' franchise. I also was curious if tttt was on the verge of ending due to this and this even if it were not usually end a show. keeping me a joke 'last season' about him doing the show because 'ish' does not film all year around. I would hate for it to be cancelled like card sharks last year, since they were similar speculation on the game show form  too about the hosts other commitments for that card sharks too). (though it is strange, considering McHale was even on this particular episode mentioned here, meaning he must still have a relationship with abc.)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2022, 08:06:43 PM »
"Funny SNL skit" is an oxymoron

Not in the least. They produce great work.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2022, 02:00:55 AM »
I'm sure the collector cringed when the host tossed the Beanie Baby to Marlon, even without the tag being removed.
This cannot be stated enough -- while Wayans deserves much scorn for doing what he had done, it was Anderson who had nonchalantly tossed a rather high-value collectible in his direction as if it had been a dollar-store trinket.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 02:05:18 AM »
This cannot be stated enough -- while Wayans deserves much scorn for doing what he had done, it was Anderson who had nonchalantly tossed a rather high-value collectible in his direction as if it had been a dollar-store trinket.
Indeed. And while people like to hammer on "newer is better" and "stop living in the past", I would bet my house that none of Bud Collyer, Garry Moore, Bill Cullen, Joe Garagiola, Alex Trebek, Mark Goodson, or any other competent host of TTTT would have ever treated something a guest brought with them with such blatant disrespect.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2022, 02:58:38 AM »
Indeed. And while people like to hammer on "newer is better" and "stop living in the past", I would bet my house that none of Bud Collyer, Garry Moore, Bill Cullen, Joe Garagiola, Alex Trebek, Mark Goodson, or any other competent host of TTTT would have ever treated something a guest brought with them with such blatant disrespect.

Honestly, I think Anthony Anderson is competent enough, but not nearly on the level of the other hosts.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2022, 04:44:29 AM »
And now we enter the “you young whippersnappers get off my lawn!” portion of the chat. 🤣

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2022, 08:26:10 AM »
Honestly, I think Anthony Anderson is competent enough, but not nearly on the level of the other hosts.

Anderson lacks the competence of nearly every past host. Unfunny, obnoxious, and has a habit of stealing the spotlight from the contestants or bringing it to the other celebrities and his mother. I understand that there are people who like his brand of comedy, but it's a poor fit for a game show. And this incident should make people think twice about who they'd want to share the stage with. Speaking of which...

And now we enter the “you young whippersnappers get off my lawn!” portion of the chat. 🤣

The portion I'm thinking of is "this thread needs to be locked because we can't seem to have a civil discussion about celebrities being pompous jackweeds".

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2022, 11:04:31 AM »
He revived the show to be exactly what it is, more comedic. The golden oldies days had their time. That’s not what they’re going for, and this version has done perfectly well enough for itself and ABC. He’s perfectly competent at doing his show his way.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2022, 02:59:13 PM »
I would bet my house that none of Bud Collyer, Garry Moore, Bill Cullen, Joe Garagiola, Alex Trebek, Mark Goodson, or any other competent host of TTTT would have ever treated something a guest brought with them with such blatant disrespect.
I would similarly bet that a number of the regular or frequent panelists of prior eras would not have ripped off the tag, or performed an equivalent move to a high-value item.

The closest similarity I am aware of is from an episode of the 2000 series which had the founder of a PEZ museum as a subject. The top-front of the panel desk (the portion where the voting cards were placed) was lined with PEZ dispensers, and at the point where Paula Poundstone cast her vote (as can be seen here) she began knocking over some of the dispensers. In her words, it was to see which of the challengers would react the most to her doing so. However, in this instance the PEZ dispensers look to have been common models one could have purchased practically anywhere at the time.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 03:02:41 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2022, 03:31:20 PM »
$5 says that come summer of 2022, none of this will even be in our heads (or whenever next season is, if not next EPISODE)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2022, 04:11:05 PM »
Of course not. It’s not in the head of anyone anywhere outside of about three people as it is now. It’s not a “thing.”