Author Topic: Vintage TPIR websites  (Read 3235 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Vintage TPIR websites
« on: June 03, 2022, 10:38:38 PM »
Back in the days before instant video or instant results before people seemed to take everything for granted, visiting a fansite in the "Wild West" eras of the Internet truly was an exciting time to first learn and contact with fans about a various subject, and most importantly, for "The Price Is Right". It was how I learned about the early history of the show, from the Culllen Years, Johnny Olsen, retired games, old sets, memorable moments I missed while I was in school, and much more. Contribution truly felt much more worthwhile to a subject, even if it wasn't current events which is why forums like these still exist today. Here are two that I have in mind:

"Here It Comes":

Better known for The Game $how Page, Chris Lambert Price site provided a nice list of stats, rules, bloopers, foreign versions, a list of pricing games, as well as a FAQ that's still found on ATHS. Launching in late 1994 (two years before I accessed the Internet for the first time), this was the first ever website ever devoted to The Price Is Right, even predating CBS.com's own page to the show. It closed down in the mid-2000s. Still, it consists of nuggets like the creators of some of the pricing games, something that the G-R FAQ doesn't provide under its Pricing Games section for some of the games provided. For example, Steve Ryan, perhaps best known for the rebuses on Concentration, created Now... or Then.

"The Fabulous 60-Minute Price Is Right Site"

A year after playing Plinko in 1997, Tony Harrison's TPIR site was a frequent place for me personally learning about the show, especially while watching the GSN reruns and having a better understanding of the show's earlier years to fully understand how the show evolved to wear it was. It's home to fan-made lyrics to the classic "Nothing But Furniture" cue, Splendido, as well as a set of contestants that will be familiar with to many Barker era fans. And that "Game Show Web Ring" will surely make classic Web fans nostalgic when you never knew what site would come up next...

https://web.archive.org/web/20020406101822/www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/7880/TPiR.html

As the early, pre-Web 2.0 days of the Internet become a distant memory, we should all understand where so much of what shapes newer fansites come from, and I truly never had more fun understanding my favorite game show like I ever had without these early gems. I'm sure there's many other classic Price websites out there as well to open a window to a more innocent time online.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Vintage TPIR websites
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 11:12:44 PM »
I remember when I first started using the Internet (late '90s/early '00s), G-R.net was just a site dedicated to behind the scene photos.

Although I wasn't a member, I used to read the old MSN boards back in the day. Look how far we've come!

Anyone remember there was a website dedicated to all the pricing games? It featured all of them (or the ones we actually knew about at the time) with their rules, rules/set changes, and pics of the games through the years. It even had a section for pricing games of foreign versions.

CBS.com had an official TPIR page which features the games, the cast, and a section where people had messaged questions about the show. Who was it who answered those questions anyway? Roger? Fingers?

Great, now I'm feeling all nostalgic.
1,697 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 11:28:41 PM »
[Chris Lambert's page] consists of nuggets like the creators of some of the pricing games, something that the G-R FAQ doesn't provide under its Pricing Games section for some of the games provided. For example, Steve Ryan, perhaps best known for the rebuses on Concentration, created Now... or Then.
Do we actually have concrete sources on who created what? I can't imagine Steve Gavazzi would want to put something on the FAQ like that unless he was damn sure he had his details straight. [I know there are some we unambiguously know, like Scott creating Do the Math, for one; or Mandel Ilagan creating 1/2 Off, but besides those two, I mean.]

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 06:48:03 AM »
Somebody used to run a site where they would host a show by email. They would present an IUFB and everybody would send in their best guess.

Any ideas?
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 07:05:12 AM »
Somebody used to run a site where they would host a show by email. They would present an IUFB and everybody would send in their best guess.

Any ideas?

Jay Lewis and Net Price Is Right! Haven't thought about that in forever! I used to play back in the day, but never made it up "on stage."
1,697 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 11:46:39 AM »
^Yes, Net Price is Right. He hosted it on the Netgames Yahoo group that he was the owner of. I made it "on stage" a couple of times and made it to the Showcases once.

Anyone remember there was a website dedicated to all the pricing games? It featured all of them (or the ones we actually knew about at the time) with their rules, rules/set changes, and pics of the games through the years. It even had a section for pricing games of foreign versions.
I think you're talking about Brad Francini's Game Show Central webpage. He had a Wheel of Fortune timeline going also that was very interesting and a Press Your Luck page.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 11:36:40 PM »
I was always a big fan of the old-school Brad's Game Show Central at gscentral.net, and the comprehensive pricing game directory.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010801174816/http://gscentral.net/pricing.htm
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline holein1isawesome

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 01:14:59 AM »
These websites are giving me lots of nostalgia.

^Yes, Net Price is Right. He hosted it on the Netgames Yahoo group that he was the owner of. I made it "on stage" a couple of times and made it to the Showcases once.
I think you're talking about Brad Francini's Game Show Central webpage. He had a Wheel of Fortune timeline going also that was very interesting and a Press Your Luck page.

I vaguely remember another similar Net Price is Right game that even had sound files and whatnot, along with other game shows like Classic Concentration. Anyone know what those were?

Offline holein1isawesome

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 02:09:41 AM »
(Too late to modify my original comment) One more thing. Didn't one of our members have a website where he had the prices of each individual prize in the Showcases a long time ago? Wonder if that's on the internet archive.

Offline EhManana

• Outside in Line
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 11:33:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing these archive pages, it's definitely cool to see some retro web material. I miss GeoCities.