Author Topic: 2022 NFL Season  (Read 25904 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2022 NFL Season
« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2023, 03:46:37 PM »
I think from a Bengals point of view, they're not happy with that late-hit penalty call that decided the AFC Championship Game. Would the game have gone to overtime or a different outcome would have happened had the penalty not occurred? Hard to say.

It was a valid call, so while they may not be happy, it isn’t a bad call. It was a bad play.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2023, 06:41:08 PM »
Half of the remaining NFL HC vacancies have been addressed; both spots feature a return in some way.  To be specific, a return to a team one played for & a return into the league.

New Orleans trading Sean Payton to Denver

Now former Niners DC DeMero Ryans heading (back) to Houston
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2023, 08:31:06 AM »
Tom Brady has announced he's calling it a career. This time, he says, he means it.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2023, 09:38:06 PM »
I'll believe he's retired when it's week 1 next season and he's not on a roster.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #259 on: February 03, 2023, 07:49:06 AM »
New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft wants Tom Brady to sign a one-day contract so he can retire as a Patriot.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #260 on: February 03, 2023, 08:12:22 AM »
More accurately: Robert Kraft wants to find a way to make extra money by staging a one-day contract.

Gotta pay for those “massages” somehow.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2023, 09:37:16 PM »
The NFL Conference Championship Games Averaged Over 50 Million In Viewers

Pretty decent numbers in advance of the upcoming Super Bowl.  The AFC Title Game, which was about 53 Million, was up from the same conference title game (and same participants) from 52 weeks ago.  In addition to that, the late window saw an increase from last year (Niners/Rams).  This year's NFC Title game was South of 50 Million (about 47 Million); you can probably thank the blowout for that total.

While the Super Bowl should do well (as is the custom), I doubt it'll set a new record in terms of ratings & viewership, something it did five times within the past decade and a half (but hasn't happened in nearly a decade)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2023, 02:12:13 AM »
So, this year's Hall of Fame class with be announced on Thursday night. My five modern era selections would be Joe Thomas, Revis Island, Demarcus Ware, Patrick Willis, and Andre Johnson.

I would like to see a position diverse class so:

Joe Thomas being 1st Ballot should be a lock. One of the best offensive tackles of all time. This gets an offensive lineman in.

Revis Island at his peak was a true shutdown corner. This gets a defensive back in.

Demarcus Ware was a monster pass rusher at his peak. This gets a pass rusher in. (Ware should've gotten the nod over the undeserving Bryant Young last year. I'm going to be pissed if Jared Allen gets in before Demarcus Ware.)

Patrick Willis gets in a inside linebacker in. For me, this spot is a toss up between Patrick Willis and Zach Thomas. I prefer Willis over Thomas by the hair of his chinny chin chin.

Then's there's the wide receivers. Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt are repeat finalists along with Johnson, and I slightly prefer Wayne over Holt, though dispassionately, but, though both have been waiting longer, Adnre Johnson to me is one of the best wide receivers to ever play the game. Wayne and Holt can wait another year or two.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2023, 11:37:16 AM »
I really hate to say this...many teams have failed against Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs.   I don't see Philadelphia passing Kansas City.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2023, 11:46:37 AM »
I really hate to say this...many teams have failed against Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs.   I don't see Philadelphia passing Kansas City.

I do.  To be honest, I can actually see Philadelphia winning in a rout.  As a matter of fact, the only outcome that would surprise me is if Kansas City blew out Philly.

You're right: several teams have failed against Patrick Mahomes & company.  However, most of them weren't as complete as a team as the Eagles are right now.  The last 2 teams that had success against Patrick were complete.  Fortunately KC was on the winning end of a close result over Cincinnati; Mahomes injury in Super Bowl LV was a factor as was the fact that KC were without key linemen.

Which bring up a comparison.  Kansas City are dealing with a ton of injuries (as are the Eagles), and if certain players can't go, that's a problem.  Plus, Patrick has to be close to 100% as he suffered one himself.

Finally, the top passing offense vs the top passing defense has led to disaster for the former.  Basically, the previous 2 teams lost big

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #265 on: February 05, 2023, 05:42:53 PM »

Many teams have also failed against Hurts and the Eagles. Only one topped them at “full strength” (so to speak).

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2023, 06:41:07 PM »
I could plausibly see this game playing out similarly to Super Bowls 23 and 54. In Super Bowl 23, defense and special teams dominated the 1st 3 1/4s but in the 4th 1/4 Joe Montana and Jerry Rice were clutch and did their thing and the 49ers got the win. In Super Bowl 54, defense and special teams dominated the 1st 3 1/4s but in the 4th 1/4 Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce were clutch and did their thing and the Chiefs got the win. I could see that happening again in Super Bowl 57 where defense and special teams dominate the majority of the game but Mahomes and Kelce are still able to pull it out in the end. That scenario seems very plausible to me.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2023, 09:34:15 PM »
I'm with the rest of y'all in saying the Super Bowl will definitely be a toss-up.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #268 on: February 07, 2023, 04:33:58 PM »
Jason Kelce's wife is nine months pregnant with their third child, so she'll be in the stands with her OBGYN just in case.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #269 on: February 07, 2023, 09:26:41 PM »
If he is still alive--and I haven't seen any obituaries when I checked, so he may well be--one wonders if all-time Eagles fan Phil Basser, now about 104 if indeed still with us, will make the trip to Phoenix as well, if able.