Studio 46 - Non-TPiR Discussion > Technical Support

Discord ban because I got hacked

<< < (2/2)

gamesurf:
The mods of this site have no control over what Discord's verification policies are.

More to the point, I don't see this site switching away from using Discord anytime soon. It's the most popular chat software in the world, and a platform that most young people are familiar with, even moreso than forums.

It does make things difficult for people without a cell phone, and that's unfortunate. But 1) there are ways around it--a Google Voice number is free--and 2) I think you're the first person since the switch in 2017 that's wanted to discuss TPIR online in a live chatroom setting AND doesn't have a cell phone.

BillyGr:

--- Quote from: gamesurf on July 19, 2022, 04:30:14 PM ---The mods of this site have no control over what Discord's verification policies are.

More to the point, I don't see this site switching away from using Discord anytime soon. It's the most popular chat software in the world, and a platform that most young people are familiar with, even moreso than forums.

It does make things difficult for people without a cell phone, and that's unfortunate. But 1) there are ways around it--a Google Voice number is free--and 2) I think you're the first person since the switch in 2017 that's wanted to discuss TPIR online in a live chatroom setting AND doesn't have a cell phone.

--- End quote ---

I wasn't even trying to discuss anything, just trying to read to see if anyone else was posting, since it seemed odd that they were having what looked like a new show (given that it starts by saying Christmas IN JULY, even though it turns out to just be a rerun of the shows done at the actual Christmas time).  That's why it seems odd to have to go through all that just to read what others are saying, since even on the site you can read posts without being registered.

Not even sure why this was changed, as the original (as I remember) didn't have any need for this "extra" stuff.

That, of course, IS something that those running the site could control (that is, they didn't need to switch something just to use a popular brand, if they had one that was going along without doing so).

TPIRfan#9821:
They didn't switch to Discord because it's popular; they switched because after a server move in 2017, the chat was borderline unusable and crashed the site during showtime, and the Discord started out as an emergency move, which turned into the current solution.

/also IIRC it was a Flash chat, Flash is dead, so we would have had to move eventually

Mr. Weatherman:

--- Quote from: TPIRfan#9821 on July 22, 2022, 02:22:18 PM ---/also IIRC it was a Flash chat, Flash is dead, so we would have had to move eventually

--- End quote ---

Indeed it was.  I can distinctly remember downloading some sketchy Flash-enabler for my Galaxy SIII (that’s been a minute ago…) to access the chat back in 2013ish.  It would load…and that’s about all it would do lol.

We’ve come quite a long ways.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version