Author Topic: NBC dropping Days Of Our Lives, moving it to Peacock  (Read 4225 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: NBC dropping Days Of Our Lives, moving it to Peacock
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2022, 04:40:05 AM »
I remember Saturday morning cartoons..   It's a shame that they did that :(
Cartoons and other kids programming exists in a multitude of places. If someone wants them on a Saturday morning, or any other time of day, they’re around. NBC was getting trounced and made a sound business decision to exit that space.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2022, 09:59:46 AM »
Well if you look at the lineup for NBC's final season (1991-92), you'll see clunkers like Yo Yogi!, Pro Stars, Wish Kid, and Chip & Pepper's Cartoon Madness, and even its best show at the time, Captain N/Super Mario, had a sharp decline in quality compared to its previous two seasons. That of course was also the first year of Nicktoons, so it only made sense to see the finish line. Even some local affiliates, NBC or not, were increasingly pre-empting Saturday Morning content for local stuff. WBAL in Baltimore, even though it was a CBS affiliate at the time dropped the entire CBS Saturday Morning lineup in 1992, even including the still popular TMNT and Garfield & Friends, for four hours of news. The networks of course also increased their news content (including NBC with Saturday Today), showing the increasing need for breaking news.

I don't really watch much tv anymore its just background noise. They have way too many news programs and they repeat them self with different anchors. I have a older family member and he watches the news all day long. I would go insane.

90% of what my father watches is the Fox News drivel. But for soaps, its nothing like it was back in the '70s and '80s when TV Guide even had a cover story complaining how they were not just cash cows for the networks, but had fan clubs for not just the soaps themselves, but some of the bigger stars. Teen magazines even featured soap star posters and articles about them. One last thing I don't like about soaps is that they tend to end with a whimper and not with a grand finale like many primetime shows and even a few game shows do. But you have to hand it to the crew/cast of these soaps, given that its a truly full-time job without too many days off or long vacations between seasons!
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2022, 01:27:42 PM »
Maybe they can blow up Genoa City when the time comes. Or have an earthquake swallow up the Forrester clan in B and B.

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 07:44:43 PM »
Ending a big show (by big I mean many people know of it) can definitely lead to big rating increase for finale watchers, I personally do not watch that show, (my soap opera preferences is young and the restless, and only very casually) but I am watching the finale weeks after hearing from this forum of the shows fate. but there is 1 thing I dislike is news and talk shows. el nature shows rank higher on my list. i am still a little bit upset on peacock taking love island, which I currently watch someone's summary of the show on YouTube now, the only free show that suited my fancy I found on it is Curious George (The show has been on for so long that I was a kid when I started watching it (even though I was slightly above the recommended age)). I left cable of a few years and got it again in 2020 after sharing ABC (yes, one channel) for a year with my aunt. some places have very limited cable channels (this was elaborated more in previous drafts). with the first thought that we now get cbs and the price is right. so maybe some people might go back to cable, like my family did. The golden age of streaming is also over, with everything so spread out, it is trying to make cable more attractive again. Weirdly enough the move to it might actually be streaming undoing. I am pretty young, (in my 20s) and I actually like some of the soaps and found them on my own actually, seeing what's after the price is right (I thought it was called 'Young' meant it was a kid show (it was not and it got turned off), but I was curious to see it once I was a adult). but pannoni1 I think those shows ended due to copyright infringement with ABC's General Hospital, not ratings. what happened to cooking shows anyway, I think there's like two left (good dish (which is a recent add), and Rachel Ray). shell_game, even people who do streaming services I have a feeling do not want deal with peacock, Disney plus how to deal with Hulu, a existing streaming service many people have hit their breaking point on buying you streaming services. if they came five years ago maybe. but people have settled on which streaming services they chose in this thing is a very unwelcome incoming. I tried to shorten it but this is the best I got after 2 hours.

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2022, 07:45:22 PM »
On a slightly off-topic note that imhomerjay mentioned, sadly the kids networking and then be included in the base packaging of a cable company has been shrinking after 2010, I am old enough to remember Saturday morning cartoons and also old enough to have seen each switch to a cable company another cut channel into it just shrunk and shrunk away, The cable company has approved it since then but with adult channels not kids , (they have added a PBS pure kids channel instead of just weekday kids channel pbs main is, but it is that bad). when they took away Saturday morning TV there was the Disney Channel there was the hub they were sprout, but since the end of analog TV have led to having any of those channels involving a very expensive paid packages. I usually try to not emphasize my age on here, but I think it just needs to be heard. and even streaming networks are lacking on the very youngest end. Some places have very limited cable channels.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 07:51:13 PM by Game Girl »

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2022, 09:49:29 PM »
Well if you look at the lineup for NBC's final season (1991-92), you'll see clunkers like Yo Yogi!, Pro Stars, Wish Kid, and Chip & Pepper's Cartoon Madness, and even its best show at the time, Captain N/Super Mario, had a sharp decline in quality compared to its previous two seasons. That of course was also the first year of Nicktoons, so it only made sense to see the finish line. Even some local affiliates, NBC or not, were increasingly pre-empting Saturday Morning content for local stuff. WBAL in Baltimore, even though it was a CBS affiliate at the time dropped the entire CBS Saturday Morning lineup in 1992, even including the still popular TMNT and Garfield & Friends, for four hours of news. The networks of course also increased their news content (including NBC with Saturday Today), showing the increasing need for breaking news.

Which was a sad decline indeed, as just a few years earlier, NBC had easily the best Saturday morning lineup when it was dominated by the Smurfs, Chipmunks, Gummi Bears, Snorks, and the Alf shows.  By the early 90s, though, the TV landscape had changed too much to keep Saturday mornings profitable, although credit to the networks for keeping at least some of it going as long as possible (and for ABC at least honoring the remainder of the existing contract for Warner Brothers' cartoons after The Walt Disney Company purchased the network).  But for those of us who grew up in that culture, it shall nonethless live on forever, as will the days of game shows on the air all afternoon on basic cable. 

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2022, 07:08:44 PM »
I know I put a few comments but i have been watching the show for a few weeks and notice something slightly problematic for the show (and getting new viewers to watch it). they are very blatant to telling everyone, everyone is basically related at this point, and that they are advertising barely not incest, like saying you are my cousin but go to this long family tree on how we are not actually biologically related. obviously meaning they like to have a person on staff just to make sure no one is insisting. I heard someone (from somewhere else) mention Game of Thrones in terms of shows that have incest. but problem here is the show I listed above did it that way on purpose, the show here (days of our life) wrote themselves into a wall causing this to happen by mistake due to many years of the same cast in families interacting with each other. if the show is to continue they going to have to figure out someway to fix at some point, or at least not be blatant about it (not completely say it straight in the show and just not pointed it out).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 07:10:58 PM by Game Girl »

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2022, 10:51:21 PM »
Days Of Our Lives September 9 2022 the finale episode ended 2 minutes early with a special news report , the end of soap operas on nbc was not Broadcast, The irony (might not be using the word right) that it ended with news (that could have waited two minutes, since it was a long introductions, with no funeral footage during the time the show would have.  ended. https://deadline.com/2022/09/days-of-our-lives-king-charles-nbc-peacock-1235113000/#respond , https://original.newsbreak.com/@soap-hub-1599941/2743839865419-how-days-of-our-lives-was-disrespected-during-its-final-nbc-broadcast , but still 30 seconds in between is still not online. (even the online version has cut off for the newscast)