Author Topic: Today's Dream Car Week rerun episode  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Cadabra16

• Outside in Line
Today's Dream Car Week rerun episode
« on: August 19, 2022, 02:16:54 PM »
LONG time reader - since the old board but felt the need to join today to maybe get an answer to something I didn't agree with today.  The second showcase showdown - two players spun the $1.00.  The spin-off commenced.  The first girl (can't remember her name now) spun 80 cents.  The second, Melissa, who already won the $123,950 dream car spun second, finessing the wheel and landed on 90 cents - one notch short of the 5 cent spot.  I had never seen this before, and immediately thought - the other girl won automatically!  Yet she was given a second spin - wouldn't count for money and went on to win the showcase round.  I thought the bonus round rule was - and I can hear Bob Barker saying it in my head - "You must get the wheel around once, or it doesn't count, and you don't get to spin again."  So - and I apologies if this has been discussed before - why did Melissa get a second spin, and IMO rob the other contestant of her rightfully earned showcase spot?

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Today's Dream Car Week rerun episode
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 02:21:44 PM »
you answered your own question
it was JUST to have a legit score for the spin off

Offline Cadabra16

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 02:47:49 PM »
My contention is - if the wheel didn't go all the way around - it shouldn't count, and she shouldn't get to spin again, as stated in the rules.
Thereby the other contestant advances to the showcase.  Since Melissa's first spin didn't count, she receives no qualifying score, and does not get to advance to the showcase round. I've watched the show for all 50 years (sadly been around that long plus some) and had never seen this happen before.  Honestly not trying to beat a dead horse, but rather comprehend what I feel was a blatant disregard for the rules in place since the wheel has been around these nearly 47 years.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 02:57:28 PM »
It happened once in the late 90s where Bob allowed the contestant to spin again, saying she needed have a score for the spin-off. If I remember correctly, there was another incident a few years after that, but that time, Bob just sent the contestant off stage without allowing her to spin again.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 02:59:32 PM »
again, it was for the sake of the spinoff

it would have NO bonus bearing

it's a rare event as it is, so of course it wouldn't get mentioned a lot of times

the no-respin part is just for BONUS spins
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 03:07:02 PM by GRWHAMMY the 2nd »

Offline Cadabra16

• Outside in Line
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 04:36:20 PM »
Thank you temptation1979ga - You gave me the clarification I was looking for! 

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 06:13:58 PM »
Not to beat the dead horse, but I wanted to answer this question with an uber rare hypothetical:

Let's say the rule was it was the one spin and that was it, no chance at another spin-off spin. But the other player (or players) don't get the wheel around either. Then who goes to the showcases?

You can make weird convoluted rules to say someone from the other Showcase Showdown could make it, but you're now making them way too confusing.

Thus, yes, the rule as is set in place is that the contestants are allowed to spin again in that situation for a score for the spin-off. The one and done only applies to the bonuses - so if you get a dollar on the next spin, you don't get any additional money.

As for reading into what Bob says, the years have shown that he wasn't always the best at consistently describing various rules. That incident that temptation1979ga mentioned where he did DQ the contestant entirely should have never happened, and frankly the contestant should've argued to get a second chance on the show because they got snubbed hard (unfortunately with the one-and-done rule waived it's a moot point).

But at the same time, you can't exactly fault him for not remembering a rule about an event that has occurred so rarely I can count on my hands the number of times I know it's happened (the two mentioned above, the one this season from the original post, and one that happened 10 years ago, and yes, the contestant was allowed to spin again for the spin-off).

Offline cnlaw

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 08:17:46 PM »
It happened once in the late 90s where Bob allowed the contestant to spin again, saying she needed have a score for the spin-off. If I remember correctly, there was another incident a few years after that, but that time, Bob just sent the contestant off stage without allowing her to spin again.
It happened at least three times on June 16, 1994, April 29, 1997 and the more infamous one on November 27, 2002