Author Topic: Season Premiere Pre-emption  (Read 7875 times)

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Season Premiere Pre-emption
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2022, 01:54:27 PM »
Be prepAred for a preemptoon.  Because TV guides are not always correct.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2022, 02:45:02 PM »
NBC and ABC does air news through noon ET either way.  Has been for some years now.  CBS is the only network to not air news through noon ET on a regular basis.

Not totally (at least not here).  Our ABC has Sherri at 10am and then The View at 11am, while NBC has Drew Barrymore at 11am. 

CBS happens to carry Ryan and Kelly at 9, with LMAD and TPIR following.

All of those others are syndicated and talk show type shows, but not specifically news shows (unlike GMA or the Today show would be, done by their networks and news related).

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2022, 03:48:01 PM »
Not really when you consider the overall daytime TV picture.

NBC/ABC's pre noon lineup is controlled by either their news departments, or local affiliates.  CBS, however, still has a full daytime lineup, and with 2 shows (TPIR and LMAD) scheduled to start a new season that day.

Thus why CBS at the moment scheduling to end coverage at 9 instead of Noon.

However, major breaking news supersedes whatever else is scheduled. It’s not about who “controls” a block day to day. News takes it over when warranted. According to one breakdown of the timeline, adjusted to US eastern timing, there is a televised committal service will be held. Totally possible CBS is passing on that, but past history leaves open the distinct possibility they will carry it. Generally, you’re not going to cede this type of rare event coverage, a prestige event for your news operation, to your competition.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 06:45:03 PM »
Generally, you’re not going to cede this type of rare event coverage, a prestige event for your news operation, to your competition.

I would make a counter argument here that CBS may have strong suspicion The Price is Right will bring in a much larger audience than continuing post-funeral coverage into the 11 a.m. ET hour, especially given the service itself will likely be long over with by that point, and the majority of viewers without a keen interest in it will likely have moved on to a different channel.  The other networks don’t really have anything to air but news, so extending coverage makes sense for them.  CBS has a robust daytime lineup with some heavy hitters, putting them in a unique position to score big ratings for their daytime season premieres if they choose to let them all air, which as of now, appears to be what they’re doing.  It’s a no-brainer decision for me if I’m a network executive, but for better or worse (most definitely better), I’m not in that position. :P
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2022, 07:28:40 PM »
I know, when Princess Diana died a quarter of a century ago, I believe they aired coverage of her funeral on a Saturday morning (September 6, 1997, to be exact), and the (height of the) funeral coverage was pretty much over well before 11:00 a.m. ET.  Bear in mind that when it is 9 a.m. in England, many North American viewers are likely asleep in bed.  I know of at least one person who is planning to record the coverage since she will be in bed when it starts.  This is a historical funeral, since we honor the passing of one of the most important women in history.  Something like this happens extremely rarely.  It sounds like the funeral coverage will probably take up a bulk of the news/variety program CBS Mornings, at least.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 07:34:57 PM by FanOfDrew87 »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2022, 10:38:55 PM »
I would make a counter argument here that CBS may have strong suspicion The Price is Right will bring in a much larger audience than continuing post-funeral coverage into the 11 a.m. ET hour, especially given the service itself will likely be long over with by that point, and the majority of viewers without a keen interest in it will likely have moved on to a different channel.  The other networks don’t really have anything to air but news, so extending coverage makes sense for them.  CBS has a robust daytime lineup with some heavy hitters, putting them in a unique position to score big ratings for their daytime season premieres if they choose to let them all air, which as of now, appears to be what they’re doing.  It’s a no-brainer decision for me if I’m a network executive, but for better or worse (most definitely better), I’m not in that position. :P

I’m sorry, but no. That’s not remotely how it works. Setting aside the inaccuracy of the statement about the other networks, the news divisions are far more important to the networks, even CBS with its morning challenges. Whatever CBS or doesn’t do isn’t driven by the Price is Right.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2022, 11:23:42 PM »
Here come a couple links on what to expect on Monday.  Basically how each Network will operate, and then plans for a New York affiliate.

Here's How Everyone's Handling Coverage For Queen Elizabeth (Courtesy of Adweek)

Some Affiliate Plans For Monday (WWNY)

FWIW, TPIR has been interrupted a ton over the past several decades.  Price is a big deal, but big events are a much bigger deal than a gameshow.  CBS usually has done a decent job when it comes to what's in their best interest.  I do wonder if they would've preempted stuff through noon if next week was a rerun, or if the premiere week had taken place over this past week
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2022, 11:30:40 PM »
I’m sorry, but no. That’s not remotely how it works. Setting aside the inaccuracy of the statement about the other networks, the news divisions are far more important to the networks, even CBS with its morning challenges. Whatever CBS or doesn’t do isn’t driven by the Price is Right.

1.)  How is his statement inaccurate?  The closest thing either ABC or NBC has to "not a news program" in the morning is The View.  Everything else before noon either is part of their morning program or was given back to the affiliates decades ago.

2.)  Brian Stelter and the February 15, 2019, episode might take issue with the rest of your assessment.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2022, 11:57:02 PM »
The idea breaking news in the morning is only covered because there are news hours or affiliate hours is absurd. All three networks also control O & Os, and spend money, often on their corporate cousin syndicated shows. Disney makes a boatload from Live. They do damn well with The View. Whatever Price-centric goggles some people may choose to wear, it is not the way business operates. The news division wants the time? They’re getting the time. They don’t, then hooray for fans of other shows. But for darned sure the big guns at CBS aren’t telling the news division to bail out because of a game show.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2022, 02:47:32 AM »
But for darned sure the big guns at CBS aren’t telling the news division to bail out because of a game show.
They've done it before.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2022, 11:18:37 AM »
IMO, I think they bailed due to the reason for the preemption or the content of the news report, not because The Price is Right was on.  I think they would've bolted if The Young & The Restless was on or even The Talk.

Basically there's precedent that it's happened (02/15/19).  I don't think I'll be a common occurrence (or it was), but just TPTB making a necessary call, doing something that was in the best interest for their network
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2022, 12:41:10 PM »
Going by the links that SeaBreeze posted and what my service provider's program guide currently has on, it appears CBS intends to move the coverage to just their news streaming platform after 9am tomorrow.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2022, 12:53:02 PM »
They've done it before.

You don't see the monumental difference between what became political performative theater replete with his usual grievance fest, and the funeral of the longest-serving head of state in Great Britain? This is beyond apples to oranges. It's apples to steamboats.

It looks more like CBS sent a considerably smaller contingent to cover events in England. Budget move for the news division? Maybe. The ABC list, for example, looked like the starting roster of an NFL team with the number reporters and anchors sent over. Send a smaller contingent, and maybe you don't have the flexibility the other networks do to anchor multiple events from multiple locations. ABC can easily deploy some other talent to the commitment ceremony. Not "hey, we won't send the full contingent of reporters because a game show happens to be scheduled for a new episode." Price isn't driving decisions, however it may benefit from them.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2022, 02:11:17 PM »
They've done it before.

Not only that, but going WAY back, the company overruled the president of CBS News and decided not to carry some of the hearings during Vietnam in order to show RERUNS of shows (OK, one of them was Lucy, but still...)

They did change that tune fairly quickly when it also caused said president of news to leave the company.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2022, 03:08:34 PM »
my 2 cents: the TPIR social media pages wouldn't be promoting it if they knew it'd be preempted