Author Topic: Which Pricing Games Have Your Favorite Theming?  (Read 2235 times)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Which Pricing Games Have Your Favorite Theming?
« on: October 02, 2022, 10:40:45 PM »
From a theming point of view, the two pricing games with my favorite theming are Grand Game and Danger Price.

In the case of Grand Game, I love that a game played for cash has a massive green set. What could be more fitting than that?

In the case of Danger Price, having a red set with the prices hidden behind stop sign shapes is obviously very fitting. But what I really love is that when the prices are revealed the danger price is revealed on a red background while the safe prices are revealed upon green backgrounds.

Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Online mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
Re: Which Pricing Games Have Your Favorite Theming?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 05:27:04 PM »
Bullseye might be a simple grocery item game, but those colors are awesome. I even like how the green arrow is aiming for the bullseye itself.

I like Card Game, and for the current version, the white/red/black mix is perfect.

Check Game's wooden set is another one that I would consider perfect.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 01:05:34 AM »
If we’re talking current games, I like Master Key. Not only do we get the giant locks center stage, the SP podiums carry the lock theme as well.

For retired games, I liked the giant ATM from Credit Card, with its sleek design and many lights and buttons. Wonder if it’s still intact somewhere?
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.

Offline TheVNTPIRFan

• In the Audience
  • marktran
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 09:02:34 AM »
Although I do miss the traditional Clock Game set, I actually find the current set pretty cool. At least they still have an analog clock.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 11:49:35 PM »
For whatever reason, I fall to Poker Game.

Old school everything, only a couple tweaks over the decades; the off-kilter Sports Type displays to resemble a hand of cards, the Joker mascot, consistent use of the Big Banana Remix, always in slot #4 followed by the midshow bumper, and the fact I think Bob secretly liked this game.

I was sad to see it go.  But they would have trashed the nostalgia of it in the modern era anyway.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 09:53:48 AM »
I've gotta go Safe Crackers here. Having your prize locked behind the safe and having to free it with the code, pulling the giant door - love it. Though I do remember thinking as a kid, "Wait, don't close the door after showing the prize! It's already open, let them have it!"

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 10:46:21 AM »
This pretty much has a Top Ten feel for me.  There are so many to choose from.  To be brief, I'll go with Pick A Pair's original set.  There was something special about it at the time.  It seemed rather huge, and I guess it had a feeling that you were in line to go onto an amusement park ride.  Loved the primary colors to the game.  The update was okay, but I adored that set.

Plinko's original colors were so sweet.  That was added to the concept of going up those stairs with several chips prior to one's chance at winning a lot of money.  That was so awesome back in the day!

Honorable mention to the Money Game.  Yeah I've sounded like the "Loved things the old way" guy, but I think the original board was nice, especially when they moved it to the turntable shortly before they updated the turntable.  It was a unique mix.  The update is fine, but that original board was rather underrated.  Just the wide version of those hexagon turntable games was tremendous (at the time)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 12:18:20 AM »
3 Strikes. Love the whole baseball theme, especially with the new set.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 06:18:48 AM »
I'm going to give a shout out to Spelling Bee and the honeycomb looking board.  Puts me in mind of another G-T game, Blockbusters.

And certainly as far as the classic classics go, Cliff Hangers, from the big board with the mountain theme to the small prize podiums and the mountains on them and the wood giving it a very rustic/wilderness type feel.

Offline CaptainPrice

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 12:59:38 AM »
Here's one that might surprise some people: Pick-a-Pair's 1990 redesign has one of my favorite theming. It kept the carnival theme from its Ferris Wheel days, but it also made it easier for Bob (and later Drew) to see which pair is correct.

I'm however, torn on whether it looked better with its early Season 19 appearance, or if it's better with dark blue and less lighting.