Author Topic: College Hoops 2022-2023  (Read 4515 times)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Re: College Hoops 2022-2023
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2023, 08:11:51 PM »
So, I have no problem with Alabama as the overall number 1 seed, though Houston over Kansas on the seed line is questionable at best.

YES!!! Sun Devils got selected and will play the Nevada Wolfpack in a play in game on Wednesday! Go Sun Devils !!! :) The Sun Devils getting selected is totally awesome baby!

TBH, my Sun Devils got a spot I had expected to go to the Scarlet Knights instead. Very happy to see the Sun Devils actually.

Finally, it's a little intuitively surprising to see when the conference breakdown is revealed that the Big 12 with 7 teams did not have the most. The Big 10 and SEC each got 8 teams.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2023, 11:27:33 PM »
YES!!! My Sun Devils are now in the field of 64 after a convincing victory over Nevada with a final score of 98-73. Gonna keep it real here: Although their selection didn't surprise me, I did not agree with the Nevada selection.  I'm not a fan of giving bubble bids to teams that collapsed down the stretch. Though their exclusion wasn't surprising either, I think the Commadores would have been a better choice than Neveda. Well, I should have known my Sun Devils would win this game. I mean, we know what happens to the Mountain West in mid-March.  Sun Devils advance to play the Horned Frogs.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2023, 11:55:03 PM »
When you said that Arizona State had no chance to make it into the NCAA Tournament after their road win against Arizona, I was about to reply with my disagreement on that.  I didn't since ASU was sorta way back & didn't receive any votes.  I didn't agree due to the fact that ASU was among the best teams in the Pac-12.  They should've been in the conversation, but when they were disrespected more than teams in the ACC, I didn't think they had a chance.

Anyway, they've arrived, deserved a bid, and earned a spot in the Round of 64 (Tourney proper).

I'm neutral on Nevada, but they didn't do anything to show why they deserved one more shot over UNC, Rutgers, and Clemson.

Pittsburgh is back in the dance for the first time in 7 years.  While they may or may not beat Iowa State, they'd have won their first postseason game in 9 years.  It's the first four, but it's part of a criteria toward the things teams need to do if they want to be National Champions.

Finally, I wasn't a fan of Fairleigh Dickinson getting a shot since they didn't win prior to their play-in game.  Not their fault, and they won with ease over Texas Southern.  No close wins here!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2023, 12:03:42 PM »
The Madness is here!

Houston over Arizona, with Duke & Gonzaga as the other regional winners.

WVU for the win in the first game. I'll get to everything else later.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2023, 12:38:10 PM »
Thursday game picks:

Furman
Utah St
Kansas
Alabama
Chaleston
Arizona
Arkansas
Auburn
Duke
Texas
Boise State
Houston
Tennessee
Penn State
UCLA

Offline jmorgan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2023, 04:32:11 PM »

Offline namnhu12

• 12/19/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2023, 06:27:38 PM »
And if you were among the 2.88% who survived the Furman Fury, your bracket is probably destroyed by the Princeton Tigers.
I got to live my lifelong dream on December 19, 2023.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2023, 12:10:18 PM »
And if you were among the 2.88% who survived the Furman Fury, your bracket is probably destroyed by the Princeton Tigers.

Yep.  It's gone.  However, the majority of people fell, so there's still a path toward victory.  Chances are even if people survived, they'd lose their teams anyway.  Just tough when happens this early.  Still several ways to recover, but that's March Madness.  Anyway...

Time For Friday Picks!

NC State
Baylor
Purdue
Memphis
Kentucky
Montana State
Michigan State
Marquette
Drake
Indiana
Pittsburgh
Xavier
VCU
Connecticut
TCU
Gonzaga

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2023, 09:09:31 PM »
GG Purdue!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2023, 09:29:51 PM »
I think that this is worse than UMBC, honestly.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2023, 11:10:12 PM »
Congratulations to FDU, just an incredible job by them. Another New Jersey underdog takes down Purdue, and that makes two advancing to the 2nd round in this year's tournament!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2023, 11:55:37 AM »
I think that this is worse than UMBC, honestly.

It definitely is.  UVA was missing their star player, and I often thought UMBC shouldn't have been seeded in that spot.  FDU wasn't supposed to be in the tournament.  They are, and they won a First Four game to get into the Field of 64!  23.5 point underdogs.  The debates are happening on where this ranks all time in sports (the level of the upset).

Saturday Picks (Round of 32):

Furman
Duke
Kansas
Princeton
Houston
Penn State
UCLA
Alabama

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2023, 10:21:58 AM »
So I went completely winless as it relates to the CBS slate.  0-4 with Furman, Duke, Kansas, and Penn State all losing to SDSU, Tennessee, Arkansas & Texas, respectively.  The Duke and Kansas falls were rather painful, PSU & Texas was a coin flip, and Furman was "supposed to lose" meaning they were up against a great team in San Diego State (and their defense).

I did think of moving off of my bracket, something I hardly do (IIRC I did last year & was correct in doing so).  I had Furman advancing to the Sweet 16, but only off of a win against Charleston.  Except Charleston couldn't knock off San Diego State.  I should've picked SDSU, but given the abundance of upsets in grand fashion, I chose to hold firm (and I was wrong big time).

Duke was tough since they ran over everybody including & especially Pittsburgh, who has looked very good this year until their slump, which preceding a return to dominating great teams (Iowa State).  They suffered an injury & they are a different team when not at full strength.  Kansas was missing their HC.  However, Arkansas is very good & might've escaped even if Bill Self was on the sidelines.

Princeton just has that feel that their not here to win one game, so that pick wasn't too hard.  Alabama continues to look like the team to beat.  UCLA might be underrated but they're managing without Jayden Clark.

PITT still has a game to play to open up Sunday's action, but in the event that they get the job done: Texas denied some viewers of an all Pennsylvania matchup with their win over Penn State, who denied some viewers of an all Texas matchup (could've been Texas A&M vs the Longhorns).  PSU has come a long way.  Should be interesting what's next for them in 2023-2024, but 4 of their starting 5 were seniors.  So experienced veterans might not be a thing for them next season.

Despite my predictions for CBS, I went undefeated (4-0) for my picks on the Turner networks.  Final day of hoops until a 3-day break before things resume on Thursday!

Sunday Picks (Round of 32):

Xavier
Kentucky
Michigan State
Connecticut
Baylor
FDU
Indiana
Gonzaga

In my main bracket, I believe I had Baylor & Kentucky losing, but to the teams that didn't make it to the weekend.  Thought of sticking to Baylor still losing, but nah.

Game times & the networks are the same as Saturday.  For the most part.  The only difference is that the final TruTV one replaces what would've been the 4th game on CBS.  The network has to have 60 Minutes as it's Sunday

Offline jmorgan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2023, 12:13:41 AM »
Here are the Sweet 16 teams in this year's tournament:

San Diego State (3rd; 2014)
Tennessee (9th; 2019)
Arkansas (14th; 2022)
Princeton (7th; 1967)
Houston (14th; 2022)
Texas (11th; 2008)
UCLA (36th; 2022)
Alabama (9th; 2021)
Xavier (9th; 2017)
Kansas State (18th; 2018)
Michigan State (21st; 2019)
UConn (18th; 2014)
Creighton (5th; 2021)
Florida Atlantic (1st)
Miami (FL) (5th; 2022)
Gonzaga (15th; 2022)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2023, 10:53:58 AM »
Interestingly enough, the first year I watched the tournament (1989-90), Xavier and Texas also met in the Sweet 16.  The Longhorns won that encounter; we'll see if history repeats itself here.