Author Topic: College Hoops 2022-2023  (Read 4473 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: College Hoops 2022-2023
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2023, 01:00:51 PM »
Interestingly enough, the first year I watched the tournament (1989-90), Xavier and Texas also met in the Sweet 16.  The Longhorns won that encounter; we'll see if history repeats itself here.

Should be a great game.  Speaking of March Madness history, I was thinking about UCLA & Gonzaga over the weekend (and even upon the revelation of the bracket).  It's been 17 years since that historic game in favor of UCLA & at the expense of Gonzaga.  While it didn't need to fall on the exact date in 2006, that's what's happening (FYI, you can use a 2006 calendar in this calendar year of 2023).  We'll see if the Bruins repeat history on another March 23rd or if Gonzaga will continue with their pursuit of unfinished business.

Here comes information as it relates to the Regionals.

Thursday, 03.23.23

Michigan State vs Kansas State
6:30 on TBS
Arkansas vs Connecticut
7:15 on CBS
FAU vs Tennessee
9:00 on TBS*
Gonzaga vs UCLA
9:45 on CBS*

Friday, 03.24.23

San Diego State vs Alabama
6:30 on TBS
Miami vs Houston
7:15 on CBS
Princeton vs Creighton
9:00 on TBS*
Xavier vs Texas
9:45 on CBS*

All times are EST

* Tip times are approximate; dependent on the conclusion of the first game at the same venue as it relates to when the first game ends
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2023, 05:44:52 PM »
Record Ratings for March Madness (over 9 Million on average)

The Michigan State & Marquette helped aid that total with over 10 Million Viewers.

Speaking of Michigan State, apparently they were underdogs early over Kansas State.  I must have blinked since I never saw it, though they are the higher seed.  That's not an easy game to predict.  Nor will the other seven (for the most part)....

Thursday 03.23.23

Michigan State vs Kansas State
Michigan State favored by 1.5
Over/Under 137.5
KSU & Under

Arkansas vs Connecticut
Connecticut favored by 3.5
Over/Under 139.5
Arkansas & Over

FAU vs Tennessee
Tennessee favored by 4.5
Over/Under 130.5
FAU & under

Gonzaga vs UCLA
UCLA favored by 2.5
Over/Under 145.5
Gonzaga outright (over hits)

Friday 03.24.23

San Diego State vs Alabama
Alabama favored by 7.5
Over/Under 135.5
SDSU & under

Miami vs Houston
Houston favored by 6.5
Over/Under 137.5
Houston covers & over hits

Princeton vs Creighton
Creighton favored by 9.5
Over/Under 141.5
Princeton & under

Xavier vs Texas
Texas favored by 3.5
Over/Under 147.5
Xavier wins outright & over hits

Straight up, I'll go: Michigan State, Connecticut, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Alabama, Creighton, Houston, Xavier

The FanDuel number are from earlier in the week, but not much has changed, even with UCLA & Gonzaga's "rubber match" (2006, 2021) with key Bruins players not really available

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2023, 10:22:21 AM »
12 teams remain following some big wins with Kansas State, Connecticut, Florida Atlantic, and Gonzaga advancing to the Eight Eight.  The 53rd - 57th teams to exit the tournament proper will be disclosed by Saturday morning.

Opening/Early lines (Saturday Regional Finals):

FAU vs KSU (-1.5) 144.5 O/U
Gonzaga vs UConn (-2.5) 153.5 O/U

A couple coaching moves (some significant ones) include Micah Shrewsberry going from Penn State to Notre Dame and Rick Pitino going from Iona to St. John's.

While the PSU to ND was speculated big time, I feel bad for Penn State.  I'm not a fan but it has to suck when they were on the path of building something special.  Looked like Micah had them going strong.  I can't blame Shrewsberry for leaving, but it would've been nice to see what could play out over the next 2 years before an exit.  2 more seasons of postseason success says a lot. 

I'm not certain that success will continue since Penn State had a veteran team with 4 seniors starting.  Not much returning.  That's why a HC remaining for a year or two more would've kept a school in the hunt at the very worst in the aftermath of a coaching change, especially if a particular school hires from within.

As for Rick Pitino, the stuff off the court is what it is, but on the court, it'll be nice to see him back in the Big East.  The man can coach.  Big things are possible for St. John's

Offline jmorgan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2023, 09:02:36 PM »
The overall #1 seed in this tournament is out as SDSU beats Alabama.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2023, 09:45:01 PM »
For the first time ever, the Elite Eight will feature exactly zero #1 seeds.

/not like I picked one to win
//I legit almost went with UConn too
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline jmorgan

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2023, 12:16:45 AM »
Here are your elite eight teams (with their number appearance and year that they were last in):

Kansas State (14th; 2018)
UConn (12th; 2014)
Gonzaga (6th; 2021)
Miami (FL) (2nd; 2022)
Creighton (2nd; 1941)
Texas (8th; 2008)
Florida Atlantic and San Diego State (both their first times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2023, 05:59:38 PM »
Man, last night was brutal.  However, it's just college basketball.  While I took a hit last week, there were still ways to win.  Though with some of the meaningless to me games, it changed things to where I couldn't win even if teams like Houston & Alabama won out.  It does suck, but the main thing is when there were a ton of teams I was rooting for (but didn't pick them to do much).  They're gone too.  Despite the interest losing its luster, there is still something worth watching, IMO.

I have Connecticut & Kansas State cutting down the nets tonight.

Edited to add the lines Sunday's Regional Finals

SDSU vs Creighton -2.5 134.5
Miami vs Texas -3.5 149.5

I am going with Kansas State to win outright (win & cover).  Same goes for Connecticut.  Tomorrow, I have San Diego State winning outright, but barely.  Miami win the game by 1 or 2 only because they hit a winning shot to make it to Houston.  KSU is playing some awesome hoops right now.  It's their game to lose.  If there was ever a year for Gonzaga to crown themselves, this year is it.  It'll be a battle against UCONN, and then Miami or Texas, and if they survive that, then the title is theirs to lose.  However, if SDSU or Creighton make a run, they might have the skills & veterans (mainly San Diego State) to topple Gonzaga.

I like the over to hit in all of these Elite Eight games, except for Gonzaga/UCONN.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:05:52 PM by SeaBreeze341 »

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2023, 11:11:34 PM »
Man, UCONN appears to be a juggernaut. Wins by 24, 15, 23, and now 28 points. Wow!
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline jmorgan

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2023, 07:28:10 PM »
Here's your final four:

UConn (6th; 2014)
Florida Atlantic
San Diego State
Miami (FL)

The last three are all making their very first appearances.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2023, 10:12:41 PM »
Final Four Opening Lines:

SDSU favored over FAU by 1.5 (Over/Under of 131.5)
Connecticut favored over Miami by 5.5 (Over/Under of 149.5)

First game, which tips off at 6:09 Eastern on April Fools Day on CBS, sounds accurate with San Diego State being a slight favorite.  Miami is a significant underdog in that second game, which starts around 8:49 on the same day & channel, or at a reasonable time following the first game.

UCONN has blown out each one of their opponents.  It's about a 22.5 margin of victory.  Miami is peaking too, so it'll be tough to figure out things.  San Diego State has a great defense, but that game is even more difficult to figure out

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2023, 03:19:18 PM »
Before getting to my picks, I guess I better post an update in terms of the bracket contest.  Though there’s not much to post about this year, but IMO, it would be hypocritical not to post something after updating the results last year when I was among the leaders heading into the Final Four.

To be brief, our awesome leader CU as well as 123123123 can improve from their current spots.  In terms of first or second, it’s not imperative to improve the scores.  However in terms of winning, I believe CU will win as long as Connecticut doesn’t win both of their final two games.  Of course, there’s not going to be another game for UCONN if they lose to Miami.  No third place games for the NCAA Tournament.  If Miami does find a way to win, then CU will win the G-R Bracket Contest while 123123123 would have to settle for a second place tie with JayC.

Randy, Jess, and Mecdaddy will finish in the Top five (or a share of it as there is a tie for fifth place).

As for the Final Four, it felt like the carnage from the past 2 weeks were going to lead me to forgoing the final 3 games.  Not so fast!

It appears that the lines and the like for the second game have not moved much if at all since their release last weekend.  Maybe they did, and if so they’re right back to where they were originally.  San Diego State is now a 2.5 favorite, up a point from the weekend.

I’m going to go with San Diego State and Connecticut to advance to Monday’s National Championship Game.  My pick of UCONN to win the Tournament Final isn’t official, but I’d pick them to win their fifth title in the past 28 years if I had to.  Maybe they’ll lose to Miami, and given the history of sports, the games have to be played in order to produce a result.  Sometimes the result isn’t what was expected.

I’ll pick SDSU to cover the 2.5 as well, and the over in FAU/SDSU.  I think they’ll have to produce some offense and in doing so with a victory, that might help the final combined score to surpass that 131.5.

Miami/UCONN, the obvious second game, is one I’d hedge just to be petty, but I do think Connecticut will win by more than 6.  It could still be a competitive game, with the 2014 NCAA champions pulling away at the end.  I think Connecticut is undefeated against schools outside the Big East.  Finally, I think there definitely will be 150 combined points scored, and NO!  I don’t expect UCONN to get to 150+ by themselves.  Jordan Hawkins’ status changed nothing in terms of who’s expected to win, but it’s worth noting

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2023, 09:12:21 PM »
LAMONT BUTLER IS THE STAR OF MARCH MADNESS 2023!. WOW!. Man, what planets have aligned for a Mountain West to be a finalist!. That buzzer beater was totally awesome baby!.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2023, 11:21:15 PM »
And UCONN has its 5th straight double digit win with a 72-59 win over The U. Monday night we'll have San Diego State vs UCONN for the 2023 National Championship. The Aztecs are seeking their 1st natty ever while the Huskies are aiming for their 5th natty in the last 25 seasons (and 24 tournaments since 2020 was canceled). Dan Hurley was a fantastic hire for UCONN while I think the return to the Big East has been great for UCONN.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2023, 05:31:05 AM »
Current line has the Huskies a 7.5-point favorite. San Diego State (my vested interest as I lived out there as a youth) has surprised many, but I think UConn has too much in the tank for them.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2023, 11:59:21 AM »
I think the only way SDSU wins against Connecticut is against the spread.  Not outright; FWIW, that 132.5 over/under isn't that easy to figure out.  I think San Diego State could do what it does defensively, but because their offense isn't great, UConn wouldn't need to score a ton to win on Monday