Author Topic: Pricing game idea: "Foreign Exchange"  (Read 929 times)

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Pricing game idea: "Foreign Exchange"
« on: November 24, 2022, 07:16:12 PM »
Inspired by classic Let's Make A Deal eps. that often involved contestants guessing amounts of foreign currency, I've decided to try and apply the concept to TPiR. The game would also be unique in that it would be the first-ever dedicated trip game on the show.

The contestant would be shown three trips, along with an amount in each destination's respective home currency (obviously, only trips outside the US would be used). For each trip, the contestant would first try to guess how much the amount shown is in US dollars, as determined by the exchange rate at the close of the markets on day of taping. If their guess is within $1000 of the correct amount, they now play for the trip plus a $2000 "spending money" bonus; if it is not, they play for the trip only. Then, the contestant would guess whether the amount (in USD) shown is in fact the ARP of the trip or not (a la the "true or false" portion of Five Price Tags). If they are correct, they win the trip plus the cash bonus, if applicable.

This process is then repeated for the next two trips, with the cash bonuses increased to $3000 and $5000, respectively. If a contestant guesses the true/false portion incorrectly on any trip, the game ends, but they still win any trips/cash they accumulated previously.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pricing game idea: "Foreign Exchange"
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 08:26:28 PM »
I’m confused as to what the point of guessing is.  Also, which amount is the contestant shown…the amount they guessed or another random amount?
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pricing game idea: "Foreign Exchange"
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 12:48:14 PM »
I honestly feel that this only should be played for a single trip due to time constraints, although you could always play for a second on a special if needed. However, there are two ways regarding how I'd design this game. The first is the "range" method where you guess the price in USD within a set range, with a possible bonus for hitting it within a certain threshold. Another could be a multiple choice variant (Double Prices, Five Price Tags), where you're given the ARP in USD as announced by George, but then shown two to four choices of the price in that respective country's homeland. For easier nations like the Euro, Canadian dollar, Japan, or the UK where the currency rate is easier to defer, a tighter range of pricing choices is preferred; for more obscure ones like Thailand or Singapore, a wider range is acceptable. Its a good game for the sake of understanding what things cost overseas, since the winners will have to spend their money in the same currency that they'll need to acquire.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/