Author Topic: Clangs/Whoops used in older episodes (from at least 1983)  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clangs/Whoops used in older episodes (from at least 1983)
« on: November 28, 2022, 09:44:46 PM »
I have a question regarding the DSW alarm that's not only used for people who win Double Showcases, but also win a cash type game or games like Golden Road (Punchboard, Grand Game, etc). Was it common back then to have the alarms go off for a long time if the cash games, or Golden Road, or both showcases were won? I watched a clip (From the Bob Barker Era on Pluto TV) on YouTube where someone had a chance to win a $22,000 Cadillac. The game was indeed won, and they had the alarms going off well before the show faded black to commercial. I believe the episode is circa November 1983.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Clangs/Whoops used in older episodes (from at least 1983)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 07:00:15 AM »
Yes, someone back then really loved those clangs and whoops. It wasn’t unusual for them to play through most of the full credits.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 09:31:34 AM »
Ok, I wasn't imagining things. I thought that I heard something about this or read something about this somewhere online. I don't care what anyone says, back then, The Price is Right seemed to be like a big celebration party of some kind and back then, it seemed like the fun would never end.

Offline goodboy16

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 03:00:18 PM »
I definitely know what you're referring to. I've seen quite a few older episodes (mostly early to mid-80s, but occasionally in the early 90s as well) where the sound effects were played for what seemed like an annoyingly long time.

There was a clip on YouTube years ago from around 1982 where a contestant won both showcases and the clanging/whooping played for most of the winner's walk. Holly can even be seen briefly seen turning to look somewhere offstage with a "Seriously?!" look on her face and the sound stopped shortly after that.