Author Topic: Jeopardy! General Discussion Thread  (Read 7058 times)

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Recaps can feel like a behemoth task.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
Re: Jeopardy! General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2023, 05:51:37 PM »
Ken is actually returning after the High School Reunion Tournament finishes so he'll actually be hosting more than half.

Dangit. 115 and 115 would've made sense after looking at the J! Archive. (It doesn't help that JBoard itself is all one big section, so it's hard just to think about looking at the updates.)

But that's okay, because I can't complain about extra time for Ken Jennings. :-D
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2023, 08:15:23 AM »
Watching Mayim, who's had the same hosting style for almost two years now, reminds me of how much more competent Ken is as host. She takes way too many unnecessary pauses for suspense, she's a broken record, especially during Final Jeopardy!, and she couldn't ad-lib if her life depended on it.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2023, 11:02:22 AM »
Yeah, I prefer Ken's style myself. I don't like when he drags it out with "also incorrect" on the 2nd miss or says "no harm, no foul" on the 3rd miss, but those things are pretty minor.

Even with Ken fitting the show as well as he does, I still have a gut feeling that Sony wants Mayim.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2023, 01:13:33 AM »
I agree with Ken hosting but here are my best guess. she was the best of the female host they had doing guest hosting (they probably could have found better female host to test out but I am not in their shoes.) if you see the new switch game they use the female voice (I literally got the wii game to hear the Trebek version but the female voice in the game is better than the female host we have). so from that I kind of knew they were going to get a female replacement of course they made the game before Ken Jennings started his categories which put him on the radar. which is probably how this whole thing happened. this is not to say I do not like female hosting in general but she is just not it. anyhow this is just a theory I hope it is reasonable.

Offline PriceFan87

• Outside in Line
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2023, 06:43:16 AM »
The producers announced yesterday that Ken's next hosting stint will be his final one of the season, lasting from March 10 to April 28. Not that social media reaction alone is the best gauge of this rotation idea, but it has been largely negative since Mayim returned. It will be interesting to see if the social media outrage is backed up by lower ratings, otherwise this may be the long-term plan.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2023, 11:33:31 AM »
Misogyny coming out in force on social media is hardly new, and apart from being repugnant, not especially newsworthy. It’s sad, but bitter trolls come out of the woodwork.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2023, 02:05:34 PM »
Yeah, I prefer Ken's style myself. I don't like when he drags it out with "also incorrect" on the 2nd miss or says "no harm, no foul" on the 3rd miss, but those things are pretty minor.

Even with Ken fitting the show as well as he does, I still have a gut feeling that Sony wants Mayim.

then again, Trebek also used the "no harm, no foul" line a lot in his 35+ seasons hosting the show

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »
Beware of an April Fools joke stating that Ken and Mayim will jointly host the show. According to the article seen, Ken and Mayim would alternate reading clues.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline rick420buzz

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2023, 09:04:14 PM »
Beware of an April Fools joke stating that Ken and Mayim will jointly host the show. According to the article seen, Ken and Mayim would alternate reading clues.

They should do this next year, when April 1 falls on a Monday (2024 is a leap year).

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2023, 05:52:25 PM »
The most recent returning champion Ben Chan did not return on the Monday show due to illness. Apparently, people thought he looked a little under the weather during his first three shows.

His absence has already been confirmed on JBoard.
________

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2023, 12:32:25 PM »
As per Deadline, Mayim Bialik is standing in solidarity with the striking Writers Guild of America writers by deciding against hosting the final week of filming for season 39, with Ken Jennings taking over hosting duties which will be between May 16 and May 19.
https://deadline.com/2023/05/writers-strike-jeopardy-mayim-bialik-1235359858/

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2023, 12:01:21 AM »
On the most recent syndicated game, somebody guessed that Bob Barker was the regular on Hogan's Heroes and Laugh-In who later became host of Family Feud. :rollold:

According to the J! Archive, Ben Chan returns on the 15th, and that means he'll face potential superchamp Hannah Wilson on his return. So far, Ben has played 3 games and had 3 runaways, so Hannah might be facing a tough opponent...
________

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2023, 12:15:20 AM »
On the most recent syndicated game, somebody guessed that Bob Barker was the regular on Hogan's Heroes and Laugh-In who later became host of Family Feud. :rollold:
And? Old game show hosts aren’t front and center in everyone’s mind, and sometimes the wrong thing comes to mind.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2023, 12:51:56 AM »
And? Old game show hosts aren’t front and center in everyone’s mind, and sometimes the wrong thing comes to mind.

Yeeeeah, I don’t exactly care. Doesn’t change the fact that I found their answers cringeworthy as hell.

Offline GameShowsRule95

• Outside in Line
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2023, 09:04:43 AM »

Well now that "Call Me Kat" has been cancelled, Sony might be thinking to themselves "Well now there's no excuse for Mayim to be too busy to host the show full-time. Let's ask her to be the new permanent host once this writer's strike ends."

Would I prefer her or Ken? Probably Ken, but I can't really say who's the better host as I haven't watched an episode with either of them as host to judge who's the better emcee.