Author Topic: When drew carey retires, who do you think should replace him as host?  (Read 8031 times)

Online Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
Re: When drew carey retires, who do you think should replace him as host?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2023, 11:51:40 PM »
Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

*”Its the fabulous, 38-minute Price is Right!”

nicely said about living for the present. also yeah they surely chunked a bunch of commercials.

I hope he stays for a long time. He may not reach the records of Barker or even Sajak, but he's definitely earned his place in The Price is Right legacy.
weirdly after hearing this even though completely not the point I would not mind watching price is right with Pat hosting.

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2023, 12:35:42 PM »
Would be unusual to be sure, although Pat did do Jeopardy very well back in 1997 during the April 1st episode.

I think Pat's low key personality would not be a good fit for Price though.  He is 76 currently, which would not necessarily be an issue as Mr. Barker held court until his early 80s.

Offline bonkers77

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2023, 05:31:38 AM »
What do you think of Rachel new hostess?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2023, 12:37:07 PM »
I can't imagine why Pat Sajak is even in the discussion here-- he's much closer to retiring than Drew is right now. The better question is who will be hosting Wheel after Pat retires.

What do you think of Rachel new hostess?
Hmm, that is intriguing. She's been there almost 20 years now so she would at least know the show and the games. I can't say we have seen enough of her presenting to gauge whether she could, but it's an interesting thought at the very least.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2023, 07:33:07 PM »
Hmm, that is intriguing. She's been there almost 20 years now so she would at least know the show and the games. I can't say we have seen enough of her presenting to gauge whether she could, but it's an interesting thought at the very least.

That could probably go for any of the current (or, depending on how long it is until the time comes, future) modelling crew members.

It would seem like a logical way to go, as it does avoid some of the issues of training someone totally new, like Drew was.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2023, 07:36:20 PM »
I think the Sajak stuff was more of a joke than reality.  Or a combination of wishful thinking and something that would be interesting while falling in the line of "no chance it's happening".

I think the reason why Pat was brought up in the first place was just to compare where Drew would stand in terms of the record for the longest tenured host with one show, when Carey is done with Price.

Rachel as the host would be pretty neat to see.  As mentioned, she has been there for a couple decades & has a great relationship with the staff.  I wouldn't bet one way or another right now, but I agree it's an interesting thought.  Say Drew called it quits in a decade.  She would be at the perfect age to host if the opportunity was there.  However, I imagine she might be too involved with her family to have the time to commit
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2023, 09:52:18 AM »
I think the reason why Pat was brought up in the first place was just to compare where Drew would stand in terms of the record for the longest tenured host with one show, when Carey is done with Price.
(Emphasized by me.)

Insofar as game shows are concerned, Pat does not currently hold this record -- nor, for that matter, is he even in the top three (or "on the medal podium", to phrase it in another way), who (as far as I am aware) are:
-Don Francisco (Sabado Gigante, approx. 53 years),
-Nicholas Parsons (Just A Minute, approx. 52 years), and
-Mac McGarry (It's Academic, approx. 50 years).

Caveat: As the host of a five-a-week program (the above three were weekly), Pat may very well hold the record in that respect.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:05:32 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2023, 03:09:36 AM »
I wonder would they give George a try? He does have hosting experience i don't know if he would be the right fit for the show.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2023, 11:03:05 PM »
It's possible, but not probable.  I imagine TPTB would pass on hiring from within, going with someone on the outside.

I do think Gray getting a chance would be great, but I wouldn't bet on it.  Of course we're far away from that.  He might be content with exiting with Carey when that time comes.

BTW, George isn't too much younger than Drew so I figured that they'd get someone that would end up being the face of the show for decades
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2023, 12:12:40 AM »
Let's be honest, none of us probably have heard of the next host.

Drew Carey arguably made it "big" when he first appeared nationally on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson in 1991.  16 years later he's hosting Price.  If 2035 is 12 years away, it's not out of the question the next big name to take over is just barely getting into the business, if at all.

It's almost impossible to speculate who will host if they may not have had their breakout yet.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2023, 04:06:52 PM »
Unless another moderator or admin objects, I think this thread has run its course and then some.  Drew isn’t retiring anytime soon.  If and when he does make such an announcement, then I’m sure speculation will run rampant. 

But like I said over a month ago:

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

*”Its the fabulous, 38-minute Price is Right!”

Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker