Author Topic: When drew carey retires, who do you think should replace him as host?  (Read 7790 times)

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
Re: When drew carey retires, who do you think should replace him as host?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2023, 01:43:45 AM »
If Drew retires between now and ~2035: Who knows. Absolutely no one knows who will be available if and when it happens, who the powers the be want, etc. - and I don't think absolutely anyone would have predicted Drew would become as good as he is and most would have never guessed him for the show.

Post-2035: Time to say the quiet part out loud: Linear TV (the traditional local affiliates, broadcast networks, and cable networks that you've been watching for decades) is in MASSIVE trouble. There is an entire raft of data saying one thing: TV in it's current form is dying. Cable channels have shut down, syndication is a graveyard, and the last bastion of viewership, live sports, are slowly migrating to streaming. Days of our Lives has already left for Peacock and I suspect will get cancelled in the next year or two.  Price is, in many markets, currently out-rating a lot of PRIMETIME series, and CBS is slightly more invested in the old model than the others, so I think it's not going to whatever they rename Paramount+ next, any time soon, BUT broadcast is in massive trouble when the next NFL TV deal expires in ten years. And so far,

I have a nagging feeling that if Drew hangs on another decade or so, the show will just end, at least for a time.

Offline Madskills2

• In the Audience
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2023, 01:34:09 PM »
If Drew retires between now and ~2035: Who knows. Absolutely no one knows who will be available if and when it happens, who the powers the be want, etc. - and I don't think absolutely anyone would have predicted Drew would become as good as he is and most would have never guessed him for the show.

Post-2035: Time to say the quiet part out loud: Linear TV (the traditional local affiliates, broadcast networks, and cable networks that you've been watching for decades) is in MASSIVE trouble. There is an entire raft of data saying one thing: TV in it's current form is dying. Cable channels have shut down, syndication is a graveyard, and the last bastion of viewership, live sports, are slowly migrating to streaming. Days of our Lives has already left for Peacock and I suspect will get cancelled in the next year or two.  Price is, in many markets, currently out-rating a lot of PRIMETIME series, and CBS is slightly more invested in the old model than the others, so I think it's not going to whatever they rename Paramount+ next, any time soon, BUT broadcast is in massive trouble when the next NFL TV deal expires in ten years. And so far,

I have a nagging feeling that if Drew hangs on another decade or so, the show will just end, at least for a time.

Streaming lately could be dying out. Studios are cutting back investments on streamers and if too many close, linear tv could end up surviving

Online mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2023, 05:17:07 PM »
Post-2035: Time to say the quiet part out loud: Linear TV (the traditional local affiliates, broadcast networks, and cable networks that you've been watching for decades) is in MASSIVE trouble.

Post 2035, local affiliates and broadcast networks are in trouble. Cable/satellite is just dead. :P
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2023, 01:50:37 AM »
James Corden is a interesting pick. It took me awhile to see who will be around now but Rose McIver from ghost (so same network) would be interesting. but listed above it reminds me how Jimmy Kimmel did millionaire about a year ago and a formulated talkshow host (by formulated i mean The traditional beginning middle and end 1 hour or less ones) might be decent choice particularly from a the less hard hitting 'news of the day' ones, maybe the host from Challenge USA might be available it really depends if they are considering going in network or open with out of network talent.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2023, 10:58:17 AM »
Post-2035: Time to say the quiet part out loud: Linear TV (the traditional local affiliates, broadcast networks, and cable networks that you've been watching for decades) is in MASSIVE trouble. There is an entire raft of data saying one thing: TV in it's current form is dying. Cable channels have shut down, syndication is a graveyard, and the last bastion of viewership, live sports, are slowly migrating to streaming. Days of our Lives has already left for Peacock and I suspect will get cancelled in the next year or two.  Price is, in many markets, currently out-rating a lot of PRIMETIME series, and CBS is slightly more invested in the old model than the others, so I think it's not going to whatever they rename Paramount+ next, any time soon, BUT broadcast is in massive trouble when the next NFL TV deal expires in ten years.

I've noticed the same things as well.

I suspect that talk shows and courtroom shows, in the vein of "Judge Judy," etc., will make up the bulk of most of what you see on what's left of daytime television. I've no idea on how much longer the remaining soap operas – "The Bold and the Beautiful," "Young and the Restless" and "General Hospital" – will hang on. You might be able to catch an old favorite, but to say that the old favorites are shows like "Friends," "Frasier," etc. is something of a misnomer to us who grew up watching shows like "I Dream Of Jeannie," "The Brady Bunch," "The Andy Griffith Show," "The Beverly Hillbillies," etc., or the 1980s cartoons (the original "Transfomers," "Heathcliff," etc.) after school.

Streaming seems to be the wave of the future. I can't name any one show because I am still not on that technology, but I know a lot of people are and this seems to be the preferred method of debuting new shows. Whether they're worth watching I can't comment.

As far as the original question at hand, who'll take over for Drew Carey should that day come, I agree ... the old girl would be put to rest and we'd have reruns. Perhaps at some point in the future, we'll even have an on-demand type of technology that will allow viewers to watch any episode in the show's history at any time (including – one can only hope – episodes where furs were prizes); by that, I mean a technology other than YouTube, where Fremantle Media or some other vendor would upload the episodes and we'd use an app – subscription or otherwise – to access the shows.

Brian

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2023, 12:52:49 PM »
This discussion amuses me, only in that it was the exact same words when we were discussing Bob's retirement from the show.  "No one can replace him."  "I'll bet they just cancel the show for a few years and bring it back some other way."  "The TV landscape has changed a lot since 1972!" 

Groundhog day was last week...

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2023, 12:55:03 PM »
The general sentiment that we could be in the twilight years for linear TV as we know it seem spot on. We’re talking a decade or more, give or take, but not more than a generation. That renders this conversation somewhat moot barring, as noted, an unexpected development in the near term.

Streamers are having growing pains. Much as there was way too much original content flooding cable networks maybe a decade or so ago, that’s happening with streamers. Remember when TNT had piles of originals? USA? Many others too numerous to detail? (I do, because a former job involved tracking lots of that, so I know what happened as it crashed.)

Netflix, Disney, Paramount…they all can’t just spend endlessly forever on content. They’ll figure out what works, and some won’t make it. HBO Max already looks to be getting scaled down to near nothing, merged with what is left of the multitude of Discovery networks’ content. At some point, they’ll get the costs more aligned, with fewer huge tentpole shows.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2023, 05:19:02 PM »
Move Wayne Brady to Price and have Jonathan take over Deal.

You can't really predict who will take over Price when Drew retires because Drew was a unexpected choice.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 05:21:26 PM by Reloaden »

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2023, 05:39:17 PM »
Ken Jennings.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2023, 08:50:56 PM »
...but as mentioned in chat not too long ago, there isn't anyone on Planet Earth that can do a better job than Drew Carey as TPIR host today.

I'm glad Drew has such loyal fans. Really.

But for some of us, perhaps of a certain age, the mind absolutely boggles that anyone genuinely believes a statement like that.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2023, 09:21:58 PM »
I'm glad Drew has such loyal fans. Really.

But for some of us, perhaps of a certain age, the mind absolutely boggles that anyone genuinely believes a statement like that.

There were people who could have done better than Barker. There are people who could be better than Carey. There is always someone out there. But the current occupant of the seat is outstanding, and deserves that credit.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2023, 08:26:03 AM »
I have enjoyed Drew far more than Bob. Far more. By the end, he was phoning it in and Drew is a breath of fresh air. He is a comedian with quick wit. He can pick up on things and make fun with it. Keeps the audience at home, in studio, himself and the Contestants happy and laughing. He wants everybody to win. He feels their pain. He never talks down Contestants or makes them feel like he is more important. Ratings tell us Drew is succeeding. For 15 years now.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 08:29:27 AM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2023, 08:57:49 PM »
I’m not sure where speculation begins and absurdity ends with this question, so I won’t go near touching the ‘who’ or ‘when’ angle of Carey’s eventual retirement other than it probably won’t be anytime soon.  The Price is Right remains hugely successful in a dying daytime TV landscape — much like a GNC or Bath & Body Works can usually be found in a dead mall, you can’t kill it.  It’s there.  It serves its purpose.  And just as when the developer decides to demolish the mall — and those remaining stores relocate as long as they’re still getting business — so shall The Price is Right live on for so long as there is an audience and it is profitable through advertising and/or streaming subscription revenue, no matter who the host is or where its home resides.  Period. 

If you had asked me 10 years ago when I joined the board (man that’s really been a whole decade ago, huh?), I probably would have been far more pessimistic about the show’s future.  1) Even then, the writing was on the wall for traditional TV.  The future wasn’t yet clear, but ‘cord cutting’ was already very much a thing, and it seemed like only a matter of time before the TV landscape would change drastically.  And it has, though not in the same ways I would have speculated then, much less five years ago.  2) I still wasn’t fully warmed up to Drew.  I tried.  Season 42 was the first season I had made watching the show a priority since S35, and slowly but surely, I would grow to greatly enjoy and appreciate Drew and the show as it is today.  But as my history here probably tells, I wasn’t nearly as fond of ‘the new way of doing things’ back then, including Drew as host, and I definitely wouldn’t have guessed he would still be hosting 10 years later, much less me enjoying it (including him) as much as I enjoyed watching Bob when I was younger!  If my opinion has changed this much during that time, attempting to have some sort of concept of what the next 10 years or so will hold is pointless.

Finally, suppose the day does come, and Drew gets to retire while the show is still on top, allowing for another change at guard like in 2007.  I can guarantee the names I’m seeing tossed around here as a replacement will be about as relevant then as the names that were tossed around before Drew was announced as host are relevant now.  I haven’t heard Dave Price or John O’Hurley’s names tossed around here in a long, long time.  James Corden?  More like ‘James…who?’ if/when Drew retires, seeing he will no longer be employed by CBS soon.

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

*”Its the fabulous, 38-minute Price is Right!”
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline publisher

• In the Audience
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2023, 11:10:32 AM »
The Price is Right remains hugely successful in a dying daytime TV landscape — much like a GNC or Bath & Body Works can usually be found in a dead mall, you can’t kill it.  It’s there.  It serves its purpose.  And just as when the developer decides to demolish the mall — and those remaining stores relocate as long as they’re still getting business — so shall The Price is Right live on for so long as there is an audience and it is profitable through advertising and/or streaming subscription revenue, no matter who the host is or where its home resides.

Clever. And apt.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2023, 02:58:09 PM »
Maybe the next kicker of the Chargers? Not like they haven't tried that before in the game show world.

I feel like Drew has come full circle and won't want to give up the show for a long time, so I'm going to say it's someone too young to be considered at this point. When Drew started the show, he was reluctant to get into the traditions of the show and kind of blew it off. Even when I went in 2013 he spent about 30 seconds with the fans outside film time. Then he slowly came around, and now he's synonymous with The Price is Right. It's satisfying to see that he now genuinely loves the show and its contestants. So (as weird as it is for me to say it) I hope he stays for a long time. He may not reach the records of Barker or even Sajak, but he's definitely earned his place in The Price is Right legacy.