Author Topic: Why Triple Play Doesn't Suck As Much As You Think It Does  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
Why Triple Play Doesn't Suck As Much As You Think It Does
« on: February 04, 2023, 05:01:51 AM »
As I'm sure many of you are aware by now, I was a contestant on the Superfan primetime episode that aired this past Wednesday. Thanks to that, I was in the green room after the show listening to the prize briefing for every person. Since they process you in order of lowest winnings to highest winnings, I was the last one in the green room as I had special paperwork to go over with the trailer. More on that in the soon to be posted megathread. I noticed a few interesting quirks about the prize winnings. If you win a trip you have a year from the air date to take the trip, and you get taxed on it in the year you take it. If you took the trip in 2023 you'd file it in 2024 and if you took it in 2024 you'd file it in 2025. Prizes are delivered to the ground floor only, so if you won something like say a 22" Bowflex Treadmill and need to carry it up five flights of stairs, you're on your own with that. Prizes to Canadians are delivered to their nearest port of entry only and contestants are responsible for the import tariffs, but they don't pay Federal taxes on the winnings so it's a bit of a fair trade.

As for probably the most interesting quirk that I was able to hear, if you win more than one car, you can apply the value of one car to upgrade the other. The only requirement is it has to be the same brand as one of the cars you won. Take for example Joezen from Wednesday's special. If he wanted, he could take is $37,000 Acura Integra and his $30,000 Jeep Compass Latitude or he could combine the value of the two to take a $67,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Since I didn't win two vehicles I don't have the full details about how this process works, but that was how it was briefly explained to him in the green room. As long as you put the value towards the same make of one of the cars you won, you can put them together to take home one really good car. One of the largest complaints I've heard about Triple Play has been "What am I going to do with three cars??" and the answer is simple, you don't get three cars. I don't have many other details about this, but it was big enough that I decided it would deserve it's own thread. This changed how I look at the show, hopefully it will change how you look at it too.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Why Triple Play Doesn't Suck As Much As You Think It Does
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 08:19:11 AM »
very cool share. That is especially helpful in Triple Play, where the first car often isn't a super-desirable ride.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 08:52:45 AM »
As for probably the most interesting quirk that I was able to hear, if you win more than one car, you can apply the value of one car to upgrade the other. The only requirement is it has to be the same brand as one of the cars you won. Take for example Joezen from Wednesday's special. If he wanted, he could take is $37,000 Acura Integra and his $30,000 Jeep Compass Latitude or he could combine the value of the two to take a $67,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit.

Or sell both and use what's left of the $67,000 after taxes to buy a vehicle that doesn't suck. :lol:

All jokes aside, that's actually a really neat little perk...and yes, it certainly does make Triple Play a better game!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 01:21:24 PM »
Very interesting info.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 02:47:31 PM »
I wonder what happens if the one super car you want to build runs out of options and you have money left over, this is great information

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 03:04:53 AM »
That's interesting to learn, because I can state with authority that ten years ago, that was certainly not the case. Back then, a contestant who won multiple cars received the cars that were presented to them. Maybe if both cars were, say, Fords that came from the same dealership, a contestant might be able to negotiate directly with the dealership to convert them to one nicer car, but the dealer was under no obligation to offer the contestant anything other than the model of car won on the show.

Of course, prize fulfillment was handled by a different department ten years ago, so obviously the current department does things differently.

Way back when I turned 18, my birthday gift was a trip to Los Angeles to see The Price Is Right. Before I even left, I had no shortage of people asking if they could have a car if I were to win two. So I would have had no problem figuring out what to do with three cars if I had won Triple Play.

(I didn't get picked. I attribute it to the fact that Roger wasn't doing the interviews for that taping.)
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline lejusteprix

• 12/14/2015
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 02:53:45 PM »
Prizes to Canadians are delivered to their nearest port of entry only and contestants are responsible for the import tariffs, but they don't pay Federal taxes on the winnings so it's a bit of a fair trade.

I'm wondering if this has changed since I was on in 2015.  At that time, it was 30% US Federal tax for *anything* you won, and 7% additional California State tax if you won over $1500.  I scooped up $1490 in prizes during my appearance but I can say with authority that I had to send the show a money order to cover the federal taxes before they were released to me.

This was also the case in 2017 on Let's Make A Deal.

But if they've gotten rid of the Federal taxes, hey, maybe it's worth another go in 2025 :)

R.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 03:31:26 PM »
It's highly possible and much more likely that I misheard. Although I only had to send the show a cashier's check for the 7% California State tax because I won over $1500. Possibly because I'll be actually filing US taxes, however.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 06:33:45 PM »
I'm wondering if this has changed since I was on in 2015.  At that time, it was 30% US Federal tax for *anything* you won

This is because you're not an American citizen. American citizens don't have to pay any federal tax on their winnings until early the next calendar year unless they have to pay estimated taxes, but that's a whole different story. The reason the IRS forces non-Americans to pay the tax up front is that they can't chase people outside the US and force them to pay taxes after you get you prizes, so instead they make you pay an exorbitant amount that's more than just about anyone would ever actually have to pay before you receive anything. Then you can file a non-resident return at the beginning of the next calendar year where you calculate how much you really owe (which averages around 15% but is dependent on how much money you make) and get a refund from the US government on the overage they kept. Just to be clear, I am not saying I like that logic, but that's the logic.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 06:37:11 PM by LiteBulb88 »

Offline lejusteprix

• 12/14/2015
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 07:43:10 PM »
It's highly possible and much more likely that I misheard. Although I only had to send the show a cashier's check for the 7% California State tax because I won over $1500. Possibly because I'll be actually filing US taxes, however.

It's all good - congratulations btw on your great performance!
R.