Author Topic: Is triple play dead?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Hockeyman

• In the Audience
Is triple play dead?
« on: March 23, 2023, 04:02:03 PM »
Today marks 4 months since the last playing of Triple Play occurred.  Is the game taking a break due to logistics issues or did the management decide to scrap the game.  There are some logistics issues which can be the blocked access to the first door on the left or because of the game length and budget. 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: Is triple play dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 04:59:01 PM »
If Triple Play is gone forever, I'll admit I'm not going to miss it.  However, there's a chance that one of the delayed episodes that was slated to air not too long ago includes it (specifically an episode that was taped in 2022 & slated to air during Week 14 as well as 0102L).

TBH, I hardly think Triple Play's length & the budget are reasons for its absence.  IMO, you would want to see Triple Play to help maintain the budget, and unlike Super Ball, the game's over right away following a mistake
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 05:53:15 PM »
I'm not Triple Play's biggest fan. I've always noticed the impracticality of winning 3 cars. Unless you are a car collector (which most people aren't) what could you use 3 cars for? If I were a contestant, I'd rather play for 1 car and have a most realistic chance to win. I'll admit that a Triple Play win is super exciting. However, given that Triple Play is rarely won when it's played and that it is rarely played to begin with, seeing a Triple Play win is extremely rare. It's a game that whatever it is in theory is mostly "whatever" in practice. And if we ARE going to see a game played for 3 cars, I'd just as soon see Most Expensive played for 3 cars. While I sometimes defend hard games such as That's Too Much, One Away, and Stack the Deck under the premise that winning a car isn't supposed to be easy, Triple Play I do think takes the difficulty a little too far. And given the impracticality of winning 3 cars, I say it's better to play for 1 car and actually have a chance at. FWIW, Triple Play isn't my favorite set either as I'm not fond of pale purple.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 08:00:39 PM »
I'm not Triple Play's biggest fan. I've always noticed the impracticality of winning 3 cars.

Good news - now you can have one great car.

I would miss the game if it was gone but there's no doubt it needs to be won more than once every five years.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 09:39:24 PM »
I had heard once that Bob himself didn’t like the fact that the game, while it did produce a win (rarely), it was usually a crap out by car two. and while the reveal of the game was good for TV, the result was (as stated above) usually not.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 08:17:17 AM »
Do these games still offer a cash option if you decide you don’t like a prize?

For cars, didn’t they just give you some kind of paper slip or something crediting your with the amount of the car won? So that, for instance, if you didn’t like that particular model of car, you could apply the amount to a different car?

(To wit: Win Triple Play, and thus all three cars, you’d get three of those pink slips. You just want one car and can now apply the combined amount of the slips toward one vehicle (possibly $60,000 or more)).

Otherwise, I dunno what the procedure is then if you win all three cars but didn’t want one (or more) of them, other than decline it outright.

Brian

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 11:10:07 PM »
In Season 37 it was played exactly once. Triple Play taking a break isn't unprecedented.

Do these games still offer a cash option if you decide you don’t like a prize?
Nope. You get the prize. Take it or leave it. The exception being the whole "merging cars" aspect mentioned earlier.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 11:11:24 AM »
*cough*
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 12:55:22 PM »
Yes Triple Play is dead. I saw it floating up to the Great Pricing Game Warehouse In The Sky just moments ago.

Rest in peace, Triple Play.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2023, 04:02:02 PM »
Well, I know this thread is!

"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won