Author Topic: Masters 2023 golf  (Read 679 times)

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
Masters 2023 golf
« on: April 11, 2023, 01:47:25 AM »
this is about the masters which happened on Easter. this year I put golf in the title because of the Jeopardy Masters also being near in time. I want to make sure seabreeze was not going to make it or that I did not see the post by mistake. but since the events over I think it is safe to say no one else is making it. I begin recording a few hours late it began getting around the last three hours a half hour after mostly because there was no way a seven hour recording was going to work. We had many impressive maneuvers involving a magnolia tree. A lot of talk referring to records from this 1950s and 1960s. they did a great job this year but that could also be related to the fact that I skip the first few hours meaning I did not hear a lot of the 'intro talk' I was blabbing last year about.

for those who dive back into last years comments by yours truly (since it is pretty easy to find, press the last number and go up one.) I did not actually have a dvr at that point. I got the DVR this past June. though they definitely got there act together better than last year. I am not sure if that is focusing better or are improvement in AI technology (it seems based on the ads from the show that they definitely have a sponsor that is a AI which might be the thing in charge of the cameras.) which hilariously ties back to Jeopardy Masters as the other contestant Watson. or it can simply be the fact that they knew they were going to film during Easter.
I have not finished yet but I would love to hear what everyone else thinks of the masters this year. or even how you think the Easter scheduling affected it.
(edit Voice dictation at its best analog the talk for a lot of talk.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:56:12 AM by Game Girl »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: Masters 2023 golf
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 07:50:50 AM »
I actually did not consider starting a Masters Thread this year.  I thought about it & did not forget, but I didn’t plan to get one going for 2023.  To be honest, even though it’s way too early for talk related to next year’s Masters, and their opening round is exactly one year away from today as of this post, I have no intentions of starting a 2024 thread.  Therefore, I have no problem with you starting it.  Appreciate it though!

The fact is that the hasn’t been a lot of activity, if at all.  At least that’s been the case each of the last 2 years.  Save for the NFL (and to a lesser extent, College Football & MLB), sports do not have the traction or the interest that it had in the past.  I figured that if it was worth discussing that someone else would start it, but until right now, I guessed that it wasn’t going to happen after no posts about it on the Monday after the Masters.

I do have several thoughts about it as I watched the whole event, but I’ll save those for later if at all.  In brief, the weekend was special especially with the connections between Rahm & Seve.  The downside was the weather.  It was great that they were able to fit it in but it’s unfortunate when things outside of one’s control hinders everyone.

I guess it was okay to see the golfers from the other tour again.  Save for Brooks, they were mostly out of contention, and they really weren’t featured too much.  That had less to do with being members of the other tour and more to do with being out of it
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 11:16:06 PM »
One thing I will say about this year's Masters golf tournament is that a scary scene happened near the 17th hole where three pine trees fell on Friday due to the storm - thankfully no one was hurt. They did the right thing to suspend play for the rest of the day due to safety concerns.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 07:18:25 AM »
While I think they were definitely going to suspend play for the remainder of the second round anyway, there was no chance that they were going to continue after that.  As mentioned the positive thing was that no one person was hurt from such a horrific scene.  It helped that the crackling of the trees was a warning that bad news was about to occur.  Hats off to the Masters staff for addressing that & getting it cleared promptly
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 09:58:09 PM »
I did not mean that you forgot or apply anything against your ability. but it is easy easy possibility that you could have been busy and completely unable since they scheduled it on Easter Sunday. Anyway everyone on here seems to be enjoying their time and I finally finished the recording and I finally finished recording and I am happy for Phil Mickelson getting in the top players, even though I am surprised the record like that lasted so long or that there was a lack of older players in that level in the first place. Scheffler did good but it just was not his day. The a recap they did for Rahm after he won was great along with the comments. I wish I could seen it life but I was visiting family.

On the trees I had to search because I usually only watch the final day but yeah that looks like a disaster.
A link of the aftermath for those that missed.
( and another 57sec one I seem to lost. I know golf is about playing your ball in the most unusual places. (or at least that's how my mum approximately phrases it.) but this is a little more than just playing in the branch on a tree. I understand sometimes it is hard identify trees but come on.