Author Topic: Classic Prize Cues  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
Re: Classic Prize Cues
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2023, 12:49:53 PM »
Cue 56, the very vintage 1972 Showcase 2 cue. Popping around, almost like a contestant's eyes looking from place to place amid the lights of the studio.
Car/Van Cue from 1983 is fantastic too. The trumpet's occasional one-off interjection is symbolic of almost one-off notes of the vehicle's horn. Then you've got some glockenspiel for dinging correctness and some heavy brass to indicate celebration, but also the effect, enormity, and power of the new car, the ultimate game show prize.
Using TVPMM and a few other sources to get my full grasp here. Man, the full CNAOS theme is catchy. It has a sweet on-off rhythm that really feels like it would translate well to have parody lyrics as Splendido got ages ago.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline Sizeman

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Walking The Golden Road - after 20 years
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2023, 01:23:03 PM »
One that I have been hearing often in the Pluto clips on Youtube is this particular mix of "Second Thoughts" (at the 4:45 mark, for gift #4):

It's not part of the 1976 "eclectic ensemble", available in the clear via the TVPMM. As far as I've read on here, Stan, or someone else, said it wasn't retained after being retired by 1987/88. Might be on a tape cart, somewhere, though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 02:42:16 PM by Sizeman »

Offline Steve_Bier

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2023, 07:26:18 PM »
One that I have been hearing often in the Pluto clips on Youtube is this particular mix of "Second Thoughts" (at the 4:45 mark, for prize #4):

It's not part of the 1976 "eclectic ensemble", available in the clear via the TVPMM. As far as I've read on here, Stan, or someone else, said it wasn't retained after being retired by 1987/88. Might be on a tape cart, somewhere, though.

Actually, MY favorite cue, is the car prize music in that video. For the life of me, I don't know the name of the cue.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2023, 07:56:02 PM »
Actually, MY favorite cue, is the car prize music in that video. For the life of me, I don't know the name of the cue.

Not sure of the name, but I know it's the same song as Temptation cue 4 (which, of course, is on the third gift in that video :P).

Speaking of Second Thoughts, there's also a really neat rhythm bed that pops up on these shows all the time in small prize games and seems to have been thrown out just like the other one.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2023, 08:43:40 PM »
I like that they've been reusing the Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour theme as a car cue on occasion, e.g. the most recent playing of Golden Road. Wish they brought back some more classic cues to the mix, though.

I took that as a good sign that they might put some of those back into rotation. I say that because that was the first time in I can't remember how long that they used it on a regular episode (previous times if I remember right were Dream Car Weeks).
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Sizeman

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2023, 01:40:57 PM »

That car cue is Theme 13 - track #51 of the 1983 "Reel 4", available via the TVPMM.

Not sure of the name, but I know it's the same song as Temptation cue 4 (which, of course, is on the third gift in that video :P).

Yes, Steve - the third gift cue from that 1985 playing of Temptation (but became the default fourth cue later) is another mix of the 1983 Reel 4 Theme 13 - Track #51, but more like rhythm track #53, but with a lead flute.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 02:59:14 PM by Sizeman »

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2023, 02:16:40 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but meant to say that the Spelling Bee car cue (cue #8, looking on YouTube) is a favorite of mine. Though I really like the truck / van cue too, happy to have heard it this season (can't remember if it was once, or more than that).
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2023, 02:33:50 PM »

The show's official cue title for the car is "0252-Car" (commonly referred to as the Spelling Bee cue) and the prize cue variant is "0260."
John

Offline SuperMatch93

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2023, 10:35:35 PM »
I'm a fan of Rye Bred and the Truck/Van Cue, as well as Bopsa Moog from the 2000s.

Fun fact: according to Chris Clementson, Second Thoughts was under consideration to be the theme for Password Plus before a unique theme was composed for it.

Offline Sizeman

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2023, 11:01:14 AM »
Speaking of Second Thoughts, there's also a really neat rhythm bed that pops up on these shows all the time in small prize games and seems to have been thrown out just like the other one.
This is the one you're referring to I think (at the 3:04 mark):

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2023, 01:43:24 PM »
This is the one you're referring to I think (at the 3:04 mark)

You are correct, sir!
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2023, 08:49:31 PM »
Watching the Barker episodes, I have gotten so fond of a classic Showcase cue from the 70's/80's.  I do not know the name of it, but sounds like there are two different version.  One uses more of a synthesizer sound, and the other has more of a quieter, jazzier sound, which was mostly used for showcases which included live dialogue.  If you have the name or cue number/numbers, please share.

Offline tdawgg3x

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2023, 10:15:49 PM »
Here are my Top 5 Classic Cues from The Price is Right

1. The Feud (Family Feud 1976 theme)
2. Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour (including the commercial break cue)
3. Bean Stalker
4. Splendido
5. Concentration 1973 Car Win cue
"Help control the virus population, have your hard drives spayed or neutered."

-Nick Roche