Author Topic: The Price is Right (Drew) Channel on Pluto TV  (Read 12350 times)

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right Channel on Pluto TV
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2023, 08:58:01 PM »
Are they editing out the ticket plugs at the end of the first Showcase Showdown, and if so, how clumsy is it?

Just a quick fade to black. Not terribly clumsy.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2023, 09:30:34 PM »
Yeah , its usually just fading to black after he mentions the contestant going to the showcase. Some of the episodes are also fading to black after the end of the final pricing game just before Drew mentions the 2nd SS.

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2023, 06:06:21 PM »
As of today, they have reached S39.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2023, 07:28:56 PM »
As of today, they have reached S39.

Just like they did the first time around.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2023, 10:22:07 PM »
Yeah , its usually just fading to black after he mentions the contestant going to the showcase. Some of the episodes are also fading to black after the end of the final pricing game just before Drew mentions the 2nd SS.

Those episodes contained a PriceisRight.com plug in the toss that has been edited out. I've got the OB versions of a couple and that's what it's been every time.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
Re: The Price is Right (Drew) Channel on Pluto TV
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2023, 10:27:32 PM »
Having grown increasingly...not fond...of Bob Barker the more episodes of his from the 80s I'm exposed to, and with my own cache of Drew's more recent episodes (S47-Present) well viewed, I've been excited to finally dig into an alternative.

First, immediate thought: Although Drew definitely still definitely improves over time, even episodes as early as Fall 2009 are significantly better than I remember. Both in the overall setup of the episodes and Drew's performance as host. It is already abundantly clear to me only a few episodes into the current 200+ episode loop that most of my opinions of this era were colored by my feelings at the time regarding the changeover at Producer feelings that have partially changed on at least one side) and that, 15 years removed: Drew has always been at least very good and I was absolutely in the wrong to be negative in my feelings regarding Drew for the time I was (until ~2013 or so).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 09:25:37 PM by Chelsea »

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2023, 12:09:57 AM »
Having grown increasingly...not fond...of Bob Barker the more episodes of his from the 80s I'm exposed to...

Not blaming you for this thought, I understand where it's coming from... however, I have observed that Bob seemed "meaner" than usual during the 1982-1984 time period, which is basically all Pluto has run at this point. I suspect this is due to bitterness over Dorothy Jo's death.

Certainly by 1985-1986 he seems to have mellowed off and returns to a much more pleasant form of hosting that he embraced in the '70s, and was pretty much the same way for the next 10 to 15 years. But I see how the Pluto episodes have reveled Bob with a somewhat harsher personality than we're used to seeing, when in reality, it was likely just a phase.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline C8

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2023, 10:03:23 AM »
Having grown increasingly...not fond...of Bob Barker the more episodes of his from the 80s I'm exposed to, and with my own cache of Drew's more recent episodes (S47-Present) well viewed, I've been excited to finally dig into an alternative.

First, immediate thought: Although Drew definitely still definitely improves over time, even episodes as early as Fall 2009 are significantly better than I remember. Both in the overall setup of the episodes and Drew's performance as host. It is already abundantly clear to me only a few episodes into the current 200+ episode loop that most of my opinions of this era were colored by my feelings at the time regarding the changeover at Producer (and a dramatically more negative opinion of Roger) and that, 15 years removed: Drew has always been at least very good and I was absolutely in the wrong to be negative in my feelings regarding Drew for the time I was (until ~2013 or so).

Ditto.

One word because I couldn't have written this better myself and I echo every word. I just had it in my head that Drew hadn't hit his stride until more recently but I've been quite taken aback by how much I'm enjoying the S39 eps.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2023, 10:33:51 AM »
Iím pleasantly surprised at his performance myself, and count me as one that misremembered it. His explanations back then were more concise, probably because he wasnít as far removed from learning the dialogue of the games, whereas now that heís played each game a thousand times he tends to explain everyÖ possibleÖ scenario, which really drags on.

I also didnít realize he hadnít settled in to asking every contestant to say hello at the wheel by this point. I wonder when that became cemented as a crutch habit for him. Another refreshing surprise not having a barrage of nouns with every SCSD.

Seeing Rich DiPirro trying new things has been fun to watch as well. Many of his contributions have stuck around to this day.

Oh, and I really miss Lanisha. I wish we could find out what happened there. :(

Offline publisher

• In the Audience
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2023, 03:45:50 PM »
Speaking strictly for myself, rewatching some of the early Carey episodes it is clear in retrospect that it wasn't necessarily that I thought Drew was a poor host. It's just that his style was so very different from Bob, particularly with the formalities of the job. I think that probably offended me early on as a fan who is only one year younger than the show. Now the show is Drew's and his style feels very comfortable to me.

Offline C8

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2024, 05:56:55 PM »
Sorry to bump this, but with the news that more eps are being added to The Barker Era, has there been any more talk of getting new episodes of the Drew era?

I've had the Drew channel on more than the Bob channel recently and while its a rough patch ahead (ahem *Brad Sherwood announcing* ahem), I'm ready to get some new eps in the rotation. I'm not on any of the socials so I'm curious if anyone has said anything.