Author Topic: 2023 College Football Season  (Read 10578 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: 2023 College Football Season
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2023, 10:46:09 AM »
I'm going to go with Washington, Michigan, Florida State, and Texas for the tenth & final CFB Playoff in current format.  In that order.  That's just a prediction, I'm not going to know for sure before ESPN shows it with a graphic on TV.  I imagine the legendary Ccook will post the official stuff when it's disclosed, but in case he can't I'll get to it at some point sometime early in the afternoon.

I think for the third time in the past dozen years, Alabama will miss out on a shot at the title by one spot.  Of course during those other years, they were in the Title Game every time but one time (thanks to Ohio State) who I think will miss out by 2 spots.  Ohio State, Oregon, Mizzou, and PSU should round out the Top 10.

Mississippi should be good for a New Years Six bowl.  Not sure about Oklahoma; if it's not them, so be it.  I don't know if Liberty gets there, but SMU getting there is not the end of the world

"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2023, 11:06:03 AM »
"Legendary?" As if. 😆 Anyway, if I can post the playoff situation when it becomes official, I shall. If someone else gets to it first, so be it. I won't predict anything as I couldn't predict my way out of a paper bag. So we stand by.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2023, 12:31:33 PM »
The playoff rankings have come out, and here's who will dance on New Year's Day:
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Texas
4. Alabama

FSU, at #5, is the first undefeated team in a Power Five conference to miss making the playoffs. Georgia is #6.

Michigan and Alabama go to the Rose Bowl while Washington and Texas are at the Sugar Bowl.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 05:27:20 PM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2023, 12:42:24 PM »
The SEC bias is real.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2023, 12:45:40 PM »
What's more upsetting, IMO, and as mentioned is that Michigan has to play Alabama right away.  I would have moved Washington to the Top spot since you couldn't rank Bama over Texas.

IDK.  If I'm on the committee and my livelihood is at risk (to some extent), when you talk about the community, I think I'm more afraid of Alabama than Florida State

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2023, 12:54:25 PM »
DraftKings already has Michigan a 2-point pick in the Rose Bowl. Texas is giving 4.5 in the Sugar Bowl.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2023, 01:02:09 PM »
Fan Duel has the Big 10 Champion favored by 1.5.  I could see that change in Bama's favor, but it's pretty much a pick em, though not super close.

Georgia vs Florida State in the Orange Bowl, BTW.  Probably what would could have been the Sugar Bowl had the defending champions taken care of business.  Though FSU probably still needed to look better to survive against Texas

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2023, 01:39:43 PM »
I'm going to go with Washington, Michigan, Florida State, and Texas for the tenth & final CFB Playoff in current format.

This is what I predicted the committee would do as well but pleasantly surprised to be wrong. The "SEC bias" defense to this would have been that Texas will be in the conference next year.

I think we did get the four best teams but I feel for Florida State. The fact is they did not impress enough to get in. Way too much blame being placed on the injury and I hope Jordan Travis doesn't have a negative personal impact from these results.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2023, 02:51:50 PM »
So, I believe what we have so far are the following (New Years Six)

Cotton Bowl: Missouri vs Ohio State
Peach Bowl: Ole Miss vs Penn State
Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs Liberty
Orange Bowl: Georgia vs Florida State
Rose Bowl: Michigan vs Alabama
Sugar Bowl: Washington vs Texas

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2023, 09:21:15 AM »
Apparently Florida elected officials are not happy with the decision to award Alabama (12-1) the CFP instead of Florida State (13-0) who went undefeated. They should have looked at the records in each of the conferences as well as tiebreaking procedures before making the decision.

When the expanded playoff format happens next season this should hopefully allow more conference teams to be in the national playoffs (and maybe even sending more than one team from that conference if possible).

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2023, 09:35:37 AM »
Michigan says they would have preferred FSU as an opponent. Georgia coach Kirby Smart made a case for his team that it should be "the four best teams, not the four most deserving." Alabama's Nick Saban stakes their claim to being among the four best by beating then-undefeated Georgia. ACC commissioner Jim Phillips called the rankings "tainted" while ESPN's Booger McFarland called it a "travesty." This will be argued to the hilt on sports talk radio and social media (where there will likely be flames a-plenty) and never be satisfactorally resolved.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2023, 10:51:20 AM »
Jordan Travis said it broke his heart that FSU was left out of the playoffs, but he had the class to leave this tweet to Alabama QB Jalen Milroe: "Go win it all, brodie."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2023, 10:51:11 PM »
Apparently Florida elected officials are not happy with the decision to award Alabama (12-1) the CFP instead of Florida State (13-0) who went undefeated. They should have looked at the records in each of the conferences as well as tiebreaking procedures before making the decision.

When the expanded playoff format happens next season this should hopefully allow more conference teams to be in the national playoffs (and maybe even sending more than one team from that conference if possible).

There will definitely be more than one team from each conference heading to the playoff going forward.  For that not to happen, both the SEC and Big Ten would have to be completely awful across the board.  Even that wouldn't be enough to have one team max from a conference as epic as the Big 10 and Southeastern.

Furthermore, with the Pacific 12 being done away with (a year too late I guess), that's 4 fabulous conferences so we're probably not going to see a situation where someone goes undefeated & left out again.  They might not finish in the Top 4 but they wouldn't need to.

If you ask the proper people, they'd tell the Florida elected officials that they should have looked at the game that took place in Charlotte, and then made time to look at the other stuff.  Or looked at the 2014 B1G Championship Game

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2023, 01:09:29 PM »
The Coaches and AP polls beg to differ with the committee. The Coaches poll puts FSU at #3 and Alabama 4 (Texas is odd man out) while the AP has FSU #4 with Bama on the outside looking in. It is likely irrelevant with the committee's choices set.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2023, 11:15:16 AM »
With the College Football Regular Season done & the Bowl season starting in a week, that means it's time for the most respected day in the sport.  At least for me.  It's Army/Navy and then the Heisman show.  Of course, College Basketball coverage gets a bump; starting today as a matter of fact on CBS as the lead in to Army vs Navy (former is favored by 2.5 with a 27.5 over/under).

I have Army winning but Navy covering, with the game total ending under 28 points.  FWIW, even though Daniels is a decent enough favorite, I'll stick with my prediction of Penix FTW.  Though I believe I picked Daniels about a year ago with the assumption that 2023 was a big year for a non big name and more so for LSU (on 2019 levels).  FWIW, Jayden is at -1400, and Michael is at +900.  Other candidates include Bo Nix (22 to 1) and Marvin Harrison Jr (200 to 1).

One is probably not going to say that Army/Navy is the best game in the sport on Super Bowl Sunday or even the New Years Six games plus the Natty. However that statement has been made throughout a calendar year; typically on the day and week of the game, that's a rather popular opinion. I love a decent, respectable contest where you still compete to win, play hard, and at the end of the day, you're back to being on the same team again.  No showboating, no nonsense.  Just a great football game.