Author Topic: Any thoughts on the first-season episodes that Pluto is now showing?  (Read 10374 times)

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Any thoughts on the first-season episodes that Pluto is now showing?
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2023, 07:52:10 AM »
I love watching these shows because when they first aired we only had a black and white TV.  Didn't get color until the green set!  Part of me wants to see them in B&W because that is how I first viewed them when home from school, etc.!

Offline TPIRZippy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2023, 07:24:35 PM »
$156-$156? I feel like the airings of later season Give or Keep episodes on the totals were around $100. Did the totals ever get above $200?

Today the Barker Era channel posted a video of a $220-$217 Give or Keep game from 1973!

https://fb.watch/o-iDcMeyXQ/ 

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2023, 07:45:29 PM »
Today the Barker Era channel posted a video of a $220-$217 Give or Keep game from 1973!

What struck me was that the spread between the prices were $4, $4 and $5, and still half of the possible combinations were good for a win.

I've never delved into it, but each playing of Give or Keep has eight possible combinations.  Was the distribution always 50-50 for win-loss?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2023, 06:41:20 PM »
What struck me was that the spread between the prices were $4, $4 and $5, and still half of the possible combinations were good for a win.

I've never delved into it, but each playing of Give or Keep has eight possible combinations.  Was the distribution always 50-50 for win-loss?

Except for when a tie was possible, yes, it would be 50-50, since every winning combination had a "partner" losing combination which was choosing the other three items.

What I would be more interested in knowing is, did it ever happen that two of the pairs didn't matter, as the largest difference was larger than the sum of the other two, so winning or losing depended only on choosing the right item in that pair? I know this was the case in Buy Or Sell.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • First person to ever see $2.75 in Pocket
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2023, 09:51:45 PM »
We just saw two contestants switch places in Contestants' Row on 0454D, however, it was made irrelevant by the first bidder immediately bidding on the nose.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did
Oops, that isn't true anymore

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2023, 09:01:18 PM »
0462D contains a proto-ERITH Showcase, with a placard simply reading "HOME."
- The "EVERY ROOM" showcase graphic was ordered for one of the episodes taping on September 9, 1973, so perhaps that was when that showcase theme debuted?

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2023, 09:53:31 PM »
0462D contains a proto-ERITH Showcase, with a placard simply reading "HOME."
I can confirm that the "HOME" placard was used at least one other time prior to the introduction of the "EVERY ROOM" placard, on #0485D (recorded on July 2, 1973), by which point the opening line of that Showcase had been altered from "Something for every room in your home." to "Something for every room in the house."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 09:59:55 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2023, 10:12:50 PM »
Between episode-jumping and fur-skipping, we won't know for certain, but that showcase theme definitely debuted months earlier than my hypothesis.

It certainly beats that "trip to the warehouse" theme they tried out, a.k.a. "throwing together a bunch of unrelated prizes covered in tarps until we've achieved a total price suitable for the Showcase round."

I haven't been looking up game lineups ahead of time, so it was a pleasant surprise to see the elusive Double Digits show up once.

Am I correct that the new-to-the-channel episodes will end tomorrow, at which point the tribute time slot will loop back around to 0012D again?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2023, 10:16:18 PM »
I haven't been looking up game lineups ahead of time, so it was a pleasant surprise to see the elusive Double Digits show up once.

Just the playing that aired on GSN, was it?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2023, 11:16:18 PM »
Am I correct that the new-to-the-channel episodes will end tomorrow, at which point the tribute time slot will loop back around to 0012D again?
Indeed. Tomorrow will be 0463D, 0465D, 0012D, and 0013D(R).
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2023, 03:21:48 PM »
Just the playing that aired on GSN, was it?
Indeed (#0362D).

Upon seeing the The Barker Era copy of this playing (as compared to a GSN airing of the episode), I strongly suspect that the Double Digits board was a faceplate placed onto the Any Number/Bullseye prop (and a rather ill-fitting one at that). On another note, I find its faux-Eggcrate displays charming in a way (and also amusing, particularly in how they are one "bulb" thinner in width than the digits on the proper Eggcrate display between them).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 03:28:46 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2023, 07:39:00 PM »
Between episode-jumping and fur-skipping, we won't know for certain, but that showcase theme definitely debuted months earlier than my hypothesis.

Would you happen to have any record of when they ordered the "HOME" placard? That might be the actual debut.

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2023, 08:30:06 PM »
I don’t know what ep we’re on but I nearly spit out my drink.

We’re going to ban furs but air an episode where a purebred English Sheepdog puppy is a Showcase prize?

Like the sheer cringe is egad! Even for the early 70s one must wonder what the crew was smoking.

Offline alansh42

• In the Audience
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2023, 09:05:51 PM »
Yeah, a dog as a prize was weird. Seeing a pet shop dog was a shock considering Bob's later activism.

On the second episode tonight it looked like a wrong person came down at the start, another person switched.

Also, when did it stop being "new"? I guess I thought it was "new" for the entire first season.

At some point they upgraded the showcase eggcrate displays so they could switch directly between two different numbers (going directly between the bid and the difference rather than blanking the display).

And we're back to 0012D.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2023, 09:41:05 PM »
I don’t know what ep we’re on but I nearly spit out my drink.

We’re going to ban furs but air an episode where a purebred English Sheepdog puppy is a Showcase prize?

Like the sheer cringe is egad! Even for the early 70s one must wonder what the crew was smoking.

I saw a puppy offered as an Instant Bargain prize on $ale of the Century in the 1980s.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won