Author Topic: Clock Game for Three Prizes  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Clock Game for Three Prizes
« on: January 05, 2024, 09:38:10 PM »
Many years ago, Marc posted here this sideview of the Clock Game board showing the mark where a third price holder used to be, evidence of the three-prize format of the game, which we now know was used exclusively on the syndicated version and is said to have involved the contestant bidding on all three prizes.

The information we have per the FAQ is that this began on episode #215N and continued for all of Clock Game's appearances "for the remainder of the run" with the exception of #218N.

I know at one time we had a calendar of tapedates for the daytime and nighttime versions for some part of the '70s, but I don't recall it going as late as to the '80s.  In the absence of further information, we say that episode #215N would have taped at some point in 1977.  The final playing of Clock Game on the syndicated version was on episode #285N.  If nothing else, given that we know the final two episodes of the syndicated version were taped March 12, 1980, it would be safe to say that it taped somewhere around the end of 1979 or early 1980.

One of the things that has seemed to elude every episode that has shown up, daytime or nighttime, from the late 1970s is any sight of the Clock Game board showing the three price holders.  I noticed years ago that when the third holder was removed, it was actually the original bottom holder, and the one added for the third price was between the two existing ones.

I decided to take a look around the Internet this afternoon to see if anything has been posted that I missed that shows the three holders, using the information from the nighttime show as a proxy to target the dates where three holders likely should be seen.

Instead, I found something I was not expecting to find.

I have only YouTube posted episodes for reference, but #2592D (aired December 6, 1977) shows the original configuration with the two holders, but just over a month later, by #2652D (aired January 17, 1978), the bottom holder is gone and the "middle holder" is the bottom of the two visible on the board.

I presume copies of #2601D and #2613D are available somewhere as the lineups are confirmed for both, and if so, I'd be really curious if anybody who has these could check them for where the holders are located to help narrow down the gap even further.

But something doesn't align here if Clock Game really was played for three prizes exclusively on the syndicated version for nearly three years and contestants bid on all three prizes.  The consistency between where two holders are visible on the board shows they were not added and removed as needed but fixed to the board, and one was permanently removed at one point when Clock Game was supposed to be still being played for three prizes according to what we know about the nighttime show.

It doesn't seem practical to me that they would have had only two holders when offering three prizes... unless one of the prizes was just a bonus and wasn't bid upon, though if that was the case (and we've never had anything indicating that it was) why, then, was there ever a change in the placement of the bottom holder, and was there ever a point when three were attached to the board?  I would think that we know which playings offered three prizes because the episode records indicate such, but... there's a mystery here.  Is there any way to unravel it?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Re: Clock Game for Three Prizes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 10:42:27 PM »

It almost looks like there was still some kind of bracket there. Perhaps you could have just lifted the bottom holder off of it and put it back at will.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 02:29:39 AM »
Wouldn't the bottom "holder" just be a bracket and not an actual price holder? Meaning if they wanted to use the bottom one they could whenever they wanted? Why put a third price holder on the side of the game if it wasn't being used? In the clip from #2652D you can clearly see a place for where the third holder is supposed to go as it spins around, even though there's no holder there.

I suspect nothing was ever actually "removed" from the game and they just started using slots 1 and 2 instead of 1 and 3 for the two prize format.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 09:55:52 AM »
I know at one time we had a calendar of tapedates for the daytime and nighttime versions for some part of the '70s, but I don't recall it going as late as to the '80s.
Former TPIR staff member Scott Robinson had discovered the paperwork for the entirety of the first syndicated run and posted the tapedates here. The prior calendar of tapedates you mention, which cover August 1972 through July 1974, can be found here.

#215N was recorded October 26, 1977; #285N on November 21, 1979.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 02:09:40 PM »
In the clip from #2652D you can clearly see a place for where the third holder is supposed to go as it spins around, even though there's no holder there.

Right, and you will see in every subsequent playing in daytime that the middle is now the bottom.  If they were all interchangeable, I would expect to see different arrangements if they were consistently putting on and taking off one of them whenever they taped the syndicated version (unless they really were remarkably consistent).  If only one of them was removable, I would expect it to have been the middle one since it was the one last added to the board.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 04:29:21 PM »
If they were all interchangeable, I would expect to see different arrangements if they were consistently putting on and taking off one of them whenever they taped the syndicated version (unless they really were remarkably consistent).

Perhaps they really were remarkably consistent.

A clip of Clock Game recently posted to the Pluto TV YouTube channel from episode #5834D shows Clock Game with the top and original bottom holders.

The plot thickens...
4. All prizes are good.