Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/10/2024 (TPiR at Night: Jackpot January - Week 2)  (Read 4812 times)

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/10/2024 (TPiR at Night: Jackpot January - Week 2)
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2024, 09:41:31 AM »
side note: given Carlos getting the famous (in at least the game show fandom) Larson number for his total winnings, i'm kinda thinking if this is an omen to something big happening on Press Your Luck tonight on ABC

keep in mind, this is probably just a coincidence i'm looking too hard into

Offline Deffinjr

• Outside in Line
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2024, 10:47:32 AM »
Oh no...back-to-back nighttime episodes of winnings over 300k means we will be in budget mode soon.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2024, 10:56:22 AM »
Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't these primetime specials budgeted separately from the daytime show

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2024, 11:38:44 AM »
That is correct.  The daytime budget is irrelevant to the primetime budget
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Deffinjr

• Outside in Line
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2024, 02:29:10 PM »
Ok I can see how they are separated, but don't the primetime and daytime versions all fall under ONE budget, and that 600k+ (both primetime episodes added up) hurt the overall ONE budget and thusly, the show till go into "budget mode" to make up for the exceedingly big amounts.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2024, 02:40:40 PM »
Ok I can see how they are separated

Really?

but don't the primetime and daytime versions all fall under ONE budget

'Cause I don't think ya do see it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2024, 02:42:13 PM »
If this doesn’t exemplify how inane the “Plinko isn’t won” thing is, nothing does.
It would if they permanently changed the rules of Any Number. As it stands, a one-time rule change that gives the game a win-win scenario really doesn't mean anything.

I've always been of the mind that Roger and Co. used their definitions of win/loss/partial for years, including after he left the show, so I think of those primarily. That said, I don't have a problem acknowledging that things can change or that it's more satisfying and easier to just call $10K a win.

Great show. Fun twist in Any Number. It's not as egregious as others would make it out to be, but I do think a one-time thing would be best for it. People says it undermines the game, but does it? The point of the game is to shoot for the car and regardless of what prize a contestant might want to win, that's still going to end up being the point of the game. If you don't know the prices of the two prizes in Any Number (and 99% of contestants will not) then you can't "shoot for the piggy bank." You can't shoot for a random number arranged by the show. You can't read their mind. The best bet is to play the game normally and just hope for the best (or in this case, the worst). I know it feels weird to take a normal loss and make it a bigger win than the top advertised prize, but in the end, it's just a second chance.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2024, 03:00:48 PM »
The show was amazing to watch with my mom last night! Carlos's $103,500 win on Plinko was amazing, Angelique did outstanding in Hi-Lo to win a $44,000 trip to the Maldives, and Diane's win of $62,700 was nothing but extraordinary! When Elias made the choice of $79,000 for the first part of the vehicle in Gridlock, after the buzzer sounded indicating that he was incorrect, with only one chance remaining, why didn't he go to the next logical choice that the car was over $76,000 in price?

Offline Deffinjr

• Outside in Line
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2024, 03:58:13 PM »
So one budget for primetime specials and one budget for daytime episodes.  Got it.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2024, 05:03:38 PM »
If this doesn’t exemplify how inane the “Plinko isn’t won” thing is, nothing does.

How is it inane?  Perhaps people complaining of ruined perfect shows by Plinko's appearance is inane, but if you're going to apply an alternate definition of a win for a game that's just much more difficult to complete to perfection than all the others (for anything other than FPG purposes so that it's not such a gimmie for points), that lack of consistency is pretty inane in and of itself.

Now, if you want to talk about how losing Any Number gave out a bigger payout than winning it would have...
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2024, 05:51:07 PM »
Just outside of the studio:

As an insane oneoff stunt, I loved the Mega Piggy. And Diane had the good luck to give it the best possible playing--leaving the first number a mystery until the end, eventually turning it into a true test of pricing. It was awesome. Easily one of the most exciting Any Number playings I can recall. They should never do it again.

"Someone could win half a million dollars?! Oh..." It's great that Carlos hit the $100K at the end, but how is someone winning 20% of the grand prize more exciting than just playing ½ Off or Grand Game for $100K? It baffles me that they continue to trot it out just so they can flaunt the huge dollar amount.

Because it's primetime Price is Right. Normies expect to see Plinko, doesn't make sense to have Plinko overshadowed by Gridlock and Hi Lo, CBS is willing to shell out the budget for it, why not?

In fact, the most "weird" thing was regular ol four-digit Flip Flop, and not, say, Squeeze Play for a $12K bathroom or something. (Swap Meet gets a pass since there's clearly somebody here reading the board checking off the primetime games. Hi, Chris, or whomever you are!)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Mewtwo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2024, 07:37:01 PM »
don't tell me the math ended up that Carlos would get Michael Larson's PYL score...

Legit my first thought when I was reading the recap.  Down to the dollar.  That's hilarious!

(And as an aside, I'm surprised that the ABC revival of PYL doesn't have a $110,237 prize square in the bonus round that would ALSO change the light patterns for the rest of the bonus round to match only those from Larson's run, with guaranteed "+ one spin" spaces in the exact same spots he used as well.  Reward the superfans for recognizing what a god of the game he was!)

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2024, 05:42:08 AM »
Not to turn this topic into a PYL discussion, but I think the number of PYL superfans (especially those who've been contestants) makes something like that insignificant, especially to probably 99% of viewers. It would also feel weird to celebrate someone who "broke" the game 40 years ago.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2024, 11:26:59 AM »
(And as an aside, I'm surprised that the ABC revival of PYL doesn't have a $110,237 prize square in the bonus round that would ALSO change the light patterns for the rest of the bonus round to match only those from Larson's run, with guaranteed "+ one spin" spaces in the exact same spots he used as well.  Reward the superfans for recognizing what a god of the game he was!)

Not quite that, but they did have a new "bonus" square, and while it wasn't a guarantee it might as well have been for quite a while there on that one show last night (the + one spin, that is!).

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2024, 02:12:17 PM »
The piggy bank x $10,000 was an interesting twist, but I'm not a big fan of the car becoming a secondary prize.
It did feel a bit weird to me, especially since the piggy bank was actually won.