Studio 33 - Price is Right Discussion > Price is Right Video Collection

#243N (recorded 9/19/1978)

(1/2) > >>

GuyWithFace:
Featuring the second nighttime appearance of Golden Road.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViESHv6-xvM

priceguy:
Always nice to see a nighttime show. Watching it reminded me of something I've often wondered. What led to the erasure of the "can be yours if the price is right" line for one-bid prizes? When the daytime show began the line was read for all one-bids and some pricing games too. It quickly disappeared yet stayed in the nighttime show when Denis James was hosting. The line was gone by the time the nighttime show had come to an end, but it's still said here. I've always found this inconsistency between the two shows puzzling.

pannoni1:
I'd imagine it was just removed out of habit, much like how the demo spin on the original Press Your Luck was. The daytime show more gradually phased it out in that you would typically only hear the spiel on the first IUFB when it was used, but it was gone by 1978 on that version.

It also appears that they moved the placement of the consolation prize plugs during the credits from just before Johnny's sign-off to the start of them for the following season.

Nick:
It has been said the, "This... can be yours if the price is right" tag was tacked onto every One Bid plug because Dennis needed the cue for when to proceed.

Why did it remain after Barker took over? Dunno. It was also said years ago Jay Wolpert ran the daytime show and Frank Wayne the nighttime show. I'd blame Frank.

I like it, personally. Gives an air if elegance to the show, and I love how loaded the Showcases were. Really elevated that part of the show to be the ultimate chance at the best prizes.

thatvhstapeguy:
On one of the IUFBs in this episode, Bob nearly interrupts the "can be yours" line, despite him having hosted the nighttime show for nearly a year -- I wonder how often that happened.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version