Studio 33 - Price is Right Discussion > The TALK Is Right

UNPOPULAR OPINION - Bidding $1 more and/or bidding $420 is not a problem

(1/6) > >>

whowouldeverhurtawhammy:
Seriously, I have been reading these complaints amongst the fandom for some time, and to be honest, if I felt that I could win by outbidding my opponent with the highest bid by $1, I would do that. If I felt that everyone had overbid and I was the last to bid, I would bid $420.

I honestly don't get why people take issue with people making these two bids in contestants' row when they might just be what gets you up on stage...

GRWHAMMY the 2nd:
i think the problem people have against 420 bids is when they do it every time (or add a digit in front of it, ie 1420) instead of actually bidding to try to win

PriceFan07:
Bidding $420 because you believe that is what will get you the win is one thing. Bidding $420 because you think it's funny (like $69) is another. One is a person trying to get up on stage, the other is a clown looking for their 15 minutes.

My grandmother, who has been watching Price is Right for 50+ years has always said she thinks they should have a rule of bidding a certain amount within others and I've always said that makes things unfair. If contestant A bid $999 and I know (or genuinely believe) the price is $1000, it's not fair that I would now have to bid something like $1025 and risk going over. It's tough because I also get annoyed when someone one-ups the last person to get called down, a crowd favorite who had been stuck in contestant's row all show, or even someone who is a clear fan vs someone clueless who probably hadn't seen a full episode of Price is Right since it started. In the end, it's still a game and has always been this way .

GRWHAMMY the 2nd:

--- Quote from: PriceFan07 on April 14, 2024, 12:31:45 PM ---
My grandmother, who has been watching Price is Right for 50+ years has always said she thinks they should have a rule of bidding a certain amount within others ...

--- End quote ---

I wonder if this is also from her probably being old enough to be able to see the Cullen series in its heyday (vs GSN/Buzzr/YT) and knowing how a lot of times, that version DID implement such a rule of having to increase the bid to be a certain amount above the previous high bid

LiteBulb88:
No one bid prize is ever under $500 these days. Therefore, a bid of $420 is always strategically wrong; one should bid $500 instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version