Author Topic: Drew vows to stay as host until he dies  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Drew vows to stay as host until he dies
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2024, 05:30:03 PM »
I mean the show's been around for over half a century and a great many skit ideas for showcases have come and gone.  Hard to come up with too many new ideas perhaps

Hardly.  There's a great repertoire of Showcase skits that were used time and time again that could still be used today (e.g., Every Room in the House, A Trip Down Main Street, The Price Is Right Department Store, the Priceless Train Depot, Port o' Price, Priceless Time Capsule, the prize-laden pirate ship, The First Bank of Price, The Price Is Right News, Our Girls Hit the Mall, A Salute to... I could go on, but I think that's enough for now), and that's not even getting into a revival of "Flakey Flick" style Showcases based on current films where you'd actually have to work out a new script each time you do it.

but given the lack of run time it no longer can happen anyway.

This is the real issue.  I don't see how any broadcast network can keep chipping away at programs with more commercials when the number of commercials for streaming programming is far, far less because people will not sit through commercials.  I know CBS has no reason to care, but if they did, they'd give a good five minutes back to the show so it could actually breathe.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. Itís the game, stupid! (Itís about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline ElectricPeterTork

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 09:29:16 PM »
Hardly.  There's a great repertoire of Showcase skits that were used time and time again that could still be used today (e.g., Every Room in the House, A Trip Down Main Street, The Price Is Right Department Store, the Priceless Train Depot, Port o' Price, Priceless Time Capsule, the prize-laden pirate ship, The First Bank of Price, The Price Is Right News, Our Girls Hit the Mall, A Salute to... I could go on, but I think that's enough for now), and that's not even getting into a revival of "Flakey Flick" style Showcases based on current films where you'd actually have to work out a new script each time you do it.

This is the real issue.  I don't see how any broadcast network can keep chipping away at programs with more commercials when the number of commercials for streaming programming is far, far less because people will not sit through commercials.  I know CBS has no reason to care, but if they did, they'd give a good five minutes back to the show so it could actually breathe.

Watching the 80s Barker episodes, that's been the biggest thing I've noticed. It's the extra time Bob had to dick around with the audience and the contestants that made a big difference.

A common complaint is that Drew doesn't do that, but there's just no time. Read the taping reports from fans, people tell stories about Drew and George getting involved with the crowd and contestants and it having to be cut. The drop from, what, 42 minutes or so back then to 37ish today hurt. I mean, the show is still great, but a lot of little possibly memorable moments and natural interactions are lost for ads. Which is funny, because at heart, TPIR is already 37 minutes of ads when you think about it.
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2024, 11:48:58 AM »
Quite a bold statement, Drew.
I wish you luck on that as you continue to carry the torch of TPIR for many years to come.  :wink:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 12:04:25 PM by whowouldeverhurtawhammy »
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!