Author Topic: How would you update Check Game to be modern?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
How would you update Check Game to be modern?
« on: May 09, 2024, 11:42:19 PM »
I was having a conversation with a colleague recently about how nobody uses checks anymore and then I happened to watch a clip of Bob hosting Blank Check back in the day. Considering very few people use checks, how would you change the game to be more relevant to today's shopper?

(I'm not saying it should change, so lets not debate that...)

The first thought that came into my head while hearing Bob's explanation was "cash back".

Just like now, contestant is shown a prize, and has to think about how much it costs. Contestant is shown a large credit card point of sale system like you'd see at a grocery store, and has to ask for cash back, punching it in on a giant touch pad... which replaces the amount of what was the check in Blank Check.

MSRP of prize + cash back amount = between $8000 and $9000 wins. Same game, more relevant setting.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: How would you update Check Game to be modern?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 12:19:19 AM »
Frankly? The whole fun of the game is writing the big check. If you can't have that, I'd rather see it retired or replaced by a totally new idea.

But even if check writing isn't a thing anymore, big novelty checks are still a thing, right? They're still big iconic props that are present at golf tournaments and charity auctions and spelling bees. Big checks are still fun, right?

But that isn't your question, your question is how to retheme it. So I'd rip off Balance Game and Safe Crackers.

The new game is called "Bank Heist". You have to steal between $8,000 and $9,000 of prizes to win, including enough cash to make your getaway. Give the contestant a cart already loaded with a facsimile of the prize, and open a safe filled with various comically sized bags of money worth $100, $500, $1,000, etc. The contestant has 20 seconds to "raid the vault" and take the appropriate amount of money out. At the end of 20 seconds, the amounts are totaled. If you stole too little or too much, a model wearing a police hat comes and stops the heist.

Alternative theme would be trying to skillfully swap a bag filled with an appropriate amount of money for a prize off a booby-trapped pedestal like in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • First person to ever see $2.75 in Pocket
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 12:40:10 AM »
Check Game is fine the way it is. The most modernization it ever needed was removing the line to spell out the amount.

The funny thing is that as fewer people write checks, more people actually Understand™ Check Game.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did
Oops, that isn't true anymore

Offline StacksOfCash

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 01:43:02 AM »
Call it PayPal's Golden Wallet, with PayPal decals all over.

The game shows Drew's empty PayPal balance and Drew then hands them a Credit Card, which they must deposit the correct amount such that the wallet + prize totals $8000 to $9000. If they are correct, the contestant wins $8000 to $9000 in cash, plus the prize. If they are wrong and lose, then the screen displays the error "Payment Declined" or "Credit Card Declined".

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 03:43:00 PM »
The funny thing is that as fewer people write checks, more people actually Understand™ Check Game.

To be completely candid, I think the reason is that Drew explains the concept much better than Bob ever did. Watching the Barker Era channel now, it almost seems like Bob was being deliberately obtuse in repeatedly saying "which, when added to the price of the prize..." and refusing to elaborate because he thought it was funny when they didn't get it.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 04:40:23 PM »
And frankly I do think a fair number of people write checks from time to time.  I don't write them for every bill I have each month, but a lot of small business service providers (people doing work in your house for one reason or another) often will prefer a check over a credit card if asked because they pay fees to the credit card company for your transaction.  Sometimes they'll even give you a break if you write a check, so I often ask what people would prefer.

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 07:32:27 PM »
I don't write them for every bill I have each month, but a lot of small business service providers (people doing work in your house for one reason or another) often will prefer a check over a credit card if asked because they pay fees to the credit card company for your transaction.
Place I get my haircuts every month does exactly this.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 07:11:25 AM »
To be completely candid, I think the reason is that Drew explains the concept much better than Bob ever did. Watching the Barker Era channel now, it almost seems like Bob was being deliberately obtuse in repeatedly saying "which, when added to the price of the prize..." and refusing to elaborate because he thought it was funny when they didn't get it.
You hit the nail on the head SamJ93.  Bob's explanation and the words "which when added" is just awkward and I think that tripped up the majority of contestants unfamiliar with this game.  Drew's explanation is not as polished but it gets the job done: We're gonna put the price of the prize here and then you write the check and we'll put that here and if the total is $8,000-$9,000 you win the prize and the money.  (Not an exact quote.)   Check Game is actually one of my favorite pricing games and I agree Bob kept it on the show because of the contestant "content" that he could generate from it!

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 02:04:20 PM »
Don't.  Isn't part of the charm of Price the old with the new?

Also: they missed the ball with The Zoom™ Home Game during covid.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2024, 05:45:53 AM »
Don't.  Isn't part of the charm of Price the old with the new?

Agreed, Check Game's "back in the day" charm is akin to Grocery Game's cash register where buttons are still used, rather than scanning in the item with the barcoades.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2024, 09:48:56 AM »
Anyone else find it ironic that a game based on credit cards got retired before a game based on checks? :lol:

I think it’s already been modernized as is by the contestant not having to write out the amount in words.  Any more modern and you couldn’t really call it “Check Game” anymore.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2024, 04:51:19 PM »
The POP (Point of Purchase) Game where you have to scan an oversized debit card with the correct price to see if you win.

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2024, 08:16:58 PM »

I had this exact thought; that was the perfect time to bring it out of retirement. Would have been an awesome way to engage the home audience!

Offline StacksOfCash

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2024, 05:15:56 PM »
Check game gets changed to a two-prize game.

The player is shown two prizes, and the player must then write the check for an amount that is higher than the prize on the left, but lower than the prize on the right. If the player is correct, they win both prizes, plus whatever amount is on the check.

If this sounds like another magical game with a special number, it was fully intentional.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2024, 07:33:58 PM »
That's not a bad idea.  Not a big deal if it emulates Magic # since it addresses inflation I think.  I often thought of a permanent change to where one would write a check with the amount taken from the value of the prize as opposed to adding toward it.  For instance, a trip someone that's $12,000.  Someone writes a check for $3,500, and the difference is between $8,000 & $9,000.

At the end of the day, I think Check Game is fine for now.  If anything I guess they could update things to where 5-digits are possible, similar to how they've updated several other pricing games in the past
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck