Author Topic: Are they taping 'next year' now?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline TPIR98665

• In the Audience
Are they taping 'next year' now?
« on: May 16, 2024, 08:15:29 PM »
I seem to recall seeing that starting in May the new tapings are for the next year?  Season 53 I presume?  Is that correct?  Is it a change from prior years...?

Offline OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
Re: Are they taping 'next year' now?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 08:22:48 PM »
Yes. They're doing Price is Right now because Wayne Brady is currently busy and will be doing a big block of shows for Let's Make A Deal starting around July once he finishes this stint on Broadway.

Price taped some shows that will air in September and November thus far. Most likely, you'd be seeing shows to air in October or November depending on how they are taping these episodes.

After this batch of shows, we're not quite sure when they'll be back. Heard people mentioning starting back October, others think it may be sooner. But it sounds like there will be at least a little time off once these June shows tape.

In any case, let us know when they air if you are able to make it out there and that it is a fun-filled, fabulous time.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 12:42:00 PM »
They were also under the threat of a technician strike (although that is looking far less likely now), so I would imagine theyíre trying or were trying to get as many shows in the can as possible.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 02:41:57 PM »
Yes. They're doing Price is Right now because Wayne Brady is currently busy and will be doing a big block of shows for Let's Make A Deal starting around July once he finishes this stint on Broadway.

Do Price and Deal use the same stage at Haven? I thought Haven had multiple stages but maybe I'm mistaken.

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 03:10:36 PM »
Do Price and Deal use the same stage at Haven? I thought Haven had multiple stages but maybe I'm mistaken.
Both sets are standing in the same studio. Deal on one end, Price on the other.

Offline C8

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 03:19:24 PM »
Both sets are standing in the same studio. Deal on one end, Price on the other.

That's what I thought. But I would have thought both could tape at the same time but I suppose not if its just one open space with two sets. Just trying to figure that part out.

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 04:03:21 PM »
That's what I thought. But I would have thought both could tape at the same time but I suppose not if its just one open space with two sets. Just trying to figure that part out.
One open space. I think the control room is between the two just covered by curtains and/or partitions.

There's no way they could tape both shows at the same time.

Offline C8

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 08:53:34 PM »
One open space. I think the control room is between the two just covered by curtains and/or partitions.

There's no way they could tape both shows at the same time.

Interesting. I totally didnít realize that even having been there. Thanks!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2024, 09:07:13 PM »
You walk past the LMAD set on your way to the studio. IIRC there's not more than 30 feet separating the back wall of Price's audience and the back wall of LMAD's.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 09:14:06 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2024, 09:10:13 PM »
You walk past the LMAD set on your way to the studio. There's not more than 30 feet separating the back wall of Price's audience and the back wall of LMAD's.

So, if there's so much room in the studio, why half the number of seats in the audience compared to what there used to be?  Clearly it sounds as if they have room.  I suppose it's a great convenience to leave both sets standing, but Price never had that privilege in all its years at TVC.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. Itís the game, stupid! (Itís about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2024, 09:22:26 PM »
I don't think I remember there being enough room in between for anything permanent like a control room, but I definitely could be wrong. Maybe NickintheATL remembers it differently.

From what I remember I saw a few makeup tables covered by curtains and some stairs leading to an area with a few monitors and a house sound mixing board, but not much else. I'll keep an eye out next time.
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline studio33

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2024, 10:20:43 PM »
The control room and audio room is down the long corridor you enter in. Press Your
Luck has returned to Television City, taping for just a few days. Presumably due to
Letís Make a Dealís set on the stage?

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2024, 10:42:29 PM »
So, if there's so much room in the studio, why half the number of seats in the audience compared to what there used to be?  Clearly it sounds as if they have room.  I suppose it's a great convenience to leave both sets standing, but Price never had that privilege in all its years at TVC.

I don't believe it is as wide as it was in TVC. I haven't sit down and counted the columns of seats across, but it seems less wide than 33 - it would probably look absurd to add rows (i.e. make the studio deeper & also higher - remember, there's still a slope down to contestants row).

As best as I can tell, they've made it as wide as they can make it and this is a physical limitation of the space: there are hallways on both sides - the one you walk through to get to the set, and the one where production/crew runs around. One of these (the production side) butts up against the outer wall of the studio and the other (the one the audience walks through) butts up against a "finished" hallway that has a number of furnished suites.

Yeah, the control room is maybe 10 feet wide, running between the two sets and covered by curtains that say "do not touch".
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2024, 01:38:32 AM »
There is indeed a set of monitors and a small break area up visible as you walk past.

Whether itís *a* control room or *the* control room I donít know. I canít imagine trying to direct a show with only a few curtains separating you from the roar of the crowd.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2024, 03:01:11 AM »
There is indeed a set of monitors and a small break area up visible as you walk past.

Whether itís *a* control room or *the* control room I donít know. I canít imagine trying to direct a show with only a few curtains separating you from the roar of the crowd.

During the winter, Let's Make a Deal aired an episode where Wayne walked to the control room to show the director (warning: camera-pointed-at-the-TV YouTube video). They edited out his walk from the studio to the control room, so there's no sense of spatial relation, but the control room was definitely a room with walls. And seeing as there were both Let's Make a Deal and The Price Is Right logos outside the door, I'll assume that's also the control room for Price.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.