Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2007  (Read 38116 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2007
« on: October 15, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »
Price Season 36 - Show #4062K
"Welcome back, my friends to the show that never ends ... come on down, come on down..."

Yup, the four month sabbatical is over. Barker's retired. With much anticipation and after a drawn-out search, we finally begin...

PRICE SEASON 36: THE DREW CAREY ERA
(or: Price over Parma, or: It's a Ten (Eleven) O'Clock World)

One note of interest: CBS.com has commenced on-demand streaming of Price on innertube. This will not change my posting procedure, however. Recaps still go online somewhere around 3 PM ET (under normal circumstances). I'll have more to say later, but for now it's time to get things rolling - in no particular order.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

Production #4062K - Taped Aug. 28, 2007

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Gabrielle

Models of the Day: Phire Dawson, Rachel Reynolds and Gabrielle Tuite
Wearing: Scala

1   Oceanic Scuba Equipment (R)
BERNARD *1800 FLANG 1650 AURA 1200 THOMAS 1300 ($2114)

Bernard from Rancho Cucamonga, CA plays MONEY GAME for a Jeep Wrangler X (Std., AC, Cap)(P - wth an assist from Bernard)

21 54 36 81
18 18-3 62 19-2
–– 21-1 90 75-4
 ––
$39 $19 6 75   WIN!

2   Wood's Stainless Fridge/Freezer (G&P)
PEGGY *2000 +Flang 2500 +Aura 2560 +Thomas 2650 ($2098)

Peggy from Cleveland, OH plays CLIFF HANGERS for a trip to Bali (6n)($9273)

Bamboo Kitchen Utensil Set $ 25 20 5 to 5
(Franklin) Sudoku Game 30 30 Stays at 5
Porcelain Telephone 40 40 Stays at 5   WIN!

3   Bodyguard V3 Exercise Bike (P)
RADIRA 850 +Flang 800 +Aura *895 +Thomas 700 ($1199)

Aura plays IT'S IN THE BAG

$ 1,000 $ .79 * (3) (Pringle's) Potato Chips (2 oz)
2,000 8.95 * (4) (Little Debbie) Swiss Cake Rolls
4,000 1.39 * (2) (Windex) Multitask Cleaner
8,000 3.00 * (5) (Aspercreme) Patch
16,000 6.99 * (6) (Purina) Cat Chow (bag)
WIN! (1) Phillips Caplets (24)

SHOWDOWN #1
$ 11,461 Peggy 100 1.00 *$1000*   Bonus 80   Through to Showcase Round
17,199 Aura 70 + 55 OV
21,828 Bernard 25 + 70 .95 (Puny 1st Spin)

4   Ashley Martini Dining Group (R)
Radira 1350 +Flang 1450 TOM 999 +Thomas *1100 ($1199)

Thomas plays EAZY AZ 123

[3](1) (Salomon) His/HerSki Equipment (R) $ 1000
[2](3) Howard Miller Vercelli Floor Clock (G) 1375
[1](2) Capresso C1300 Espresso Machine (P) 1913 WIN!

5   Vermont Castings Sinature 5 Burner Grill (G)
Radira 1850 +Flang 1010 Tom 1245 AMOR *1250 ($1549)

Amor from Covina, CA plays ONE AWAY for a Ford Focus S (Std., AC, ALB, AirBag)(R)

Setup 1st Try 2nd Try
1 3 7 6 0    4 4 8 7
2 4 8 7 1 1 5 7 6 2 1 5 9 8 0
3 5 9 8 2 2    8 7 1 2         1
2 RIGHT WIN!

It's the first day of the Drew Carey Era - at least on the air it is. While some things have changed, some have not. Those who fail to leave the Row still get banished to the "First Four" Breakfast Club, and those who fail will enter a new wing - the Mimi Bobeck Wing. It's gaudy, it's rude, it's utterly rotten to the core. Will Flang be its first entrant?

6   Hatteras Roman Arc Hammock (P)
Radira 1000 +Flang 1200 Tom 1 GREGORY *795 ($811)

Flang heads off to the Bobeck Wing while Gregory plays (Ezekiel Barker's) BARGAIN BAR to get Drew's Era off to a perfect start...

(Apple) Desktop Computer (G) $2299 $2999 $  700
Pulaski Casa Cristina Armoire (R) PICK $1310 $2310 $1000 PERFECTO!!!!!

Now, THAT'S how to start things! (OK, CBS engineered it a bit, but who cares!)

SHOWDOWN #2
$ 5,487 Thomas 50 + 20 .70
6,120 Gregory 95 stay OV
17,529 Amor 35 + 65 1.00 *$1000*   Bonus 85   Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Amor has the honor.

SC1-Peggy Magnussen Biltmore Bedroom Group
Strobel Supplepedic Sleep Set
Aegean Beach Towels (P)
Yamaha VX110 Waverunner (G)
BID $15,000
PRICE 20,543
DIFF –5,543
TOTAL $18,529
SC2-Amor OLD WIVES' TALES
(Samsung) 56" Projection HDTV (R)
Beachcomber Hot Tub (G)
Hi Lo Towlite Travel Trailer (R)
BID $25,000
PRICE 27,275
DIFF –2,275
TOTAL $45,804

Today's Pricing Games: 6 for 6 (77th Perfect Show, if whomever keeps track is right)
Total Winnings: $114,967
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 05:10:24 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: FULL RECAP COMING - TPiR 10/15/2007
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:55:28 PM »
I thought that all in all, it was a good ep. Only objection I have to Drew is that he should not not not spoil what game is next. The anticipation is part of the fun.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 03:17:51 PM »
Wow.  That was an incredible performance for someone's second week on the job.

There is now no doubt in my mind that Drew can do this job.  His performance today was certainly a bit rough, and he needs some work on hosting the Showcase, but his attitude was fantastic, and every problem I saw was one that could be smoothed out with experience.  I think we're in for another great season.

If they were going to air the shows out of order, I can certainly see why they started with this one -- a perfect show and two $1,000 winners on the Big Wheel.  Still, though, I can't deny I'm looking forward to tomorrow...and there's really something wrong with having the first game broadcast in a season be Money Game. :P

It's in the Bag was awesome...although that was certainly in part because it's the first time it's been won in a year and a half!

I loved the comment Drew made during Barker's Bargain Bar about "the founder of The Price Is Right, Ezekiel Barker."

I'm slowly warming up to the new cues.  I don't think redoing Dig We Must was a fantastic idea, but the theme and Walking are pretty decent.

I love the new light matrix behind the Turntable.  It looks like it was inspired by the Barker Wall.

I was kind of surprised that they played Eazy az 1 2 3.  Most of the games in the early rotation seem to be older ones.

All in all, my biggest disappointment today by far was the demise of the Mark Goodson logo.  Considering how many things could have gone terribly wrong with this, I'd say that's pretty darn good.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TPIRFan1986

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 03:23:33 PM »
AWWW! I couldn't see this due to WEB 110 class! Other than what I'm hearing about Drew, I'd say he did a pretty good job as well. I gotta learn to schedule my classes around The Price is Right...

EDITED: I JUST finished watching the episode on innertube tonight (shame it was only a 1-hottie day), and I was amazed! I had to constantly shout at the computer screen when Drew slipped up, telling him what Bob would do, or something Bob would call a certain item.

Money: Wow. What a way to kick off the 36th season! I sure wish Drew used the "El Cheapo" term...

Hans: Somebody shoot me...I've never seen the last two prices guessed exactly right.

Bag: $16,000?!?! ON THE FIRST SHOW?!?! Now THAT's some serious business!  :D

Eazy: BETTER than that 1/4/07 playing when Bob was still around. Lady Luck was smiling all over Thomas, and he pulled out a win.

One Away (BTW, Joe, Amor played One Away): Ummm, Drew, it's not "O Mighty Sound Effects Person". If a woman is playing, Bob would ask her, "Gentlemen, do I have x number(s) right?", or a man, the opposite: "Ladies, do I have x number(s) right?", "x" being the number of numbers. Other than that, Amor did fine!  :-D :D I have to agree with heels...she was VERY cute.

BBB: Kids, can you say "perfect"? Gregory chose the better bargain of the two prizes. And what happened? 77th perfect show!  :-D

SCSD #1: In showcases, I'd stay away from watercrafts.

SCSD #2: A trailer? I'd usually just bid low in fear I might go OVER. The Old Wives' Tales showcase was pretty funny, though I don't exactly see what game shows have to do with bad luck.

Best Contestant: I'd have to agree with heels on this one...Amor.  :D

Verdict: It's the 36th season premiere (and I miss Bob already...  :cry: ), but I'm pretty sure Drew will do fine.  :-D

MY SCORE: 10
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:38:15 PM by TPIRFan1986 »
Season 41...
TPIRFan1986's Season 41 DSW Counter: 2
TPIRFan1986's Double Overbid Counter: 5

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 03:25:10 PM »
I was in the chat room, but I'm EAGER for the recap!

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 03:32:19 PM »
longtime lurker, first time poster..

For some reason it bugged me that drew let the contestants stand anywhere they wanted while spinning the big wheel, it seemed really unorganized. Bob would always kinda lead them back to the same spot. Other than that it was really fun, and seemed normal.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 03:38:26 PM »
I think it was a good show, a perfect show.  It will take me a bit to adjust to drew being the host and getting used to his hosting skills.  That is sad that the mark goodson closing is gone. 

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 03:49:22 PM »
I was out, but taped the show and watched it after I got home.  I thought it was a pretty good first outing
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline MichaelC

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 03:52:17 PM »
I actually liked today's show. Loved the new set and liking Drew Carey more and more.

Great to see a perfect show. Nice to see It's In The Bag finally won again!!!

What I missed today was the "contestants not appearing on stage" cue. It was awesome though that they kept the name "Barker's Bargain Bar" on the game. Also glad to hear Drew urging us to have our pets spayed and neutered.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 03:53:45 PM »
I think he'll do fine once the roughness is ironed out. Drew's rehearsal regimen shows he knows his beans about the game and his ethic on the show--the contestants are the focus--is a plus.

Without commercials, the show clocked in at just a little over 39 minutes, and given that there were two contestants who stalled by looking to the audience for advice, it looked understandably rushed.

The most discernable minus is the replacing of "A Mark Goodson Television Production" with "A FremantleMedia Production."
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 03:55:17 PM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline jokerz

• 10/17/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 03:57:38 PM »
Where is Drew's enthusiasm for giving away a car??? Where are the season 36 logo's and balloons?? Are we starting all over again and there isn't a season 36?? Is this season 1? I don't get it. First off, i do not think Drew was excited to give anything away. Some of his intros to give away prizes were just terrible. Did he even want to be there?
As for the set, that's about the only good thing!

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 03:59:48 PM »
I really do enjoy Drew as a host, and I agree, with time, he'll improve. Today, to me did not seem like Season Premiere. I know Marc told me that the shows are airing out of order, but they still could have taped a season opener. Last year, the premiere was taped late but they still had a Seaon premiere. Steve, you're right, season premieres just should NOT start with Money Game, period. There were some good points and some bad points about the show, the set, Drew, etc. Hopefully some will change and some will not. Here it goes....

I really don't like the new intro theme, I preferred the old one. The come on down music is fine. I'll just have to get used to it. The set itself is good, but I don't really like the zoom in of the logo during the opening. I think, the logo should not be an outline, it should be the entire logo, colored in and everything. The Showcase podiums should have each been a different color, and with no hologram borders, it's a little too much.

The Mark Goodson Productions logo being gone sucks. I still think it should be there, no matter what. It just fits with the show, no matter who hosts. Also, it's a little redundant having Rich saying Fremantle at the end and then having the logo pop up like it always did. Why did they drop it? I have a feeling Bob wanted it to stay. It seems the most logical, he's gone now, so drop the MGP from the show.

God, can't they replace Bart yet. I don't know about you all, but those camera shots during the first 4 call downs was making me dizzy.

I really hope Drew continues to mention the models and Rich as he did today, just maybe not as much. I did not like that he welcomed everyone back after every commercial and thanking the models after they modeled the prizes, that will no doubt change. Drew does seem very energetic, and at times a little bored. I don't know if that's his demeanor or not (I never watched The Drew Carey Show, or Who's Line, so I don't know). I think Drew should not spoil the games either by mentioning them before the prizes are shown, it's a let down for the home viewers.

I see why CBS picked this show for an opener. A PERFECT SHOW to start is pretty good!!! It's in the Bag not being won in a while was fun. Although it was starting to bug me when she couldn't decide what to do. You know Bob would have rushed through that. The Ezekiel Barker mention was funny too.

Even though it seems I disliked this show by my comments, I really thought it was good. Although it seemed rushed, I know that today is a big change for most die hard TPIR fans. I'm willing to give Drew the chance and hopefully, he'll shake of his nervousness and become a really good game show host. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. It's gonna just take some time.  :-D  :-D

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 04:04:03 PM »
Here we are ! Season 36. Like everyone, I was a bit nervous about what I was gonna see at 11AM EDT, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Right off the bat, the new arrangement of Walking blew my ears ! So festive, lots of drums, very different.

The new theme : Is it me, or it's not the same theme that we heard in the "new" ticket plug during the last few weeks? Either way, it sounds awesome! Does anyone know if we can get it somewhere?

The set looks awesome. I'm really digging the new turntable. The rest looks pretty much the same, which is good. Yeah, ok, a new paint job, but I'm kinda getting used to new paint jobs (what is it, the 3rd since season 31 in daytime?)

DREEEEW !! I mean, yeah, he's nervous a bit, he sometimes explains it wrong. He forgot to say that the bonus spin has to go all the way around in the first SCSD. And the spay and neuter plug was a bit awkward. But the bottom line is, he's a natural. He seemed at ease. He has fun with the contestants. A big surprise to me : He acknowledges the models, which is a nice touch. He's funny! The "O Mighty Sound Effects Person" and the "Ezekiel Barker" bits were hilarious. That's exactly what many of us were asking : Make the show your own! That's exactly what he's doing, and I love it!

And the new "Dig We Must" ? I like it! Blends well with "Walking" and the main theme.

The new graphics are awesome. Love the Pricedown font on the screen.

I know a lot of people didn't like the fact that they removed the Mark Goodson mention. To me, it's a very minor thing. It was nice, but the show, I think, had to move on. They COULD have done with "A Mark Goodson / Freemantle Production", but still, I can deal with "FreemantleMedia".

All in all, I think Freemantle/CBS, or whoever decided to change (I have no clue who did want some changes) have done a wonderful job in overhauling the show. It's looks / feels / sounds modern, yet it kept it's retro feel. I'm really looking forward to another 35 years of TPIR!!

Oh, and a Perfect Show to boot ! What more could we ask for?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:08:48 PM by Franc »

Offline FlipFlopper7769

• 4/10/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/15/2007
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 04:06:44 PM »
Wow, not much more you can say after all the splendid comments already posted! I really liked today's contestants! Each one was absolutely top notch! Way to go Stan! Also, the extra camera time after many games for the contestants was great too! I hope we see this more in the future as SSN 36 is underway!
You can go ahead and call me "Mr. Money Game"!
I was on TPiR: Jan 8, 2007!  AIR DATE: Apr. 10, 2007!

Online actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 04:07:56 PM »
Drew's off to a great start. Clearly he's got butterflies at this point, but once he settles in, he could turn out to be a really excellent host.

I thought his saying "How are you?" to each of the opening contestants was a nice, friendly touch, although the contestants themselves seemed a little thrown off by it. If this gets to be a Drew trademark, then that problem should go away.

I was pretty weirded out by today's lack of premiere-ish-ness, and tempted to make sure I hadn't slept through Monday and wasn't watching Tuesday's show instead. It looks like they decided not to shoot a premiere show and instead inserted the most exciting show they'd taped after a certain point as the big Drew-era kickoff. Not a bad idea, but I'm with Steve in that starting a season off with Money Game is pretty unsavory.

Cliff Hangers: In advance give-away of the game aside, I thought this was Drew's strongest game today.

(I)ITB: It's sweet to see a rare win in this game, but it's even sweeter when the game is not set up for an easy win. Bag 2 was a toss-up, and the last one wasn't particularly easy, either.

123: And I'm dumbstruck that this was won somehow. Not only was I not convinced that this guy understood how he was supposed to play (but only because he did it in the reverse of the customary order, which was only logical the way Drew loaded him down with the blocks*), but I think 99% of the non-skiing populace would've put #3 on the clock. I don't know how he pulled that off, but hats off to him for somehow stopping the Dob and helping perfect the show.

*I enjoyed that, though. I think Bob even did this on a couple of occasions.

One Away: Nothing in particular, but I'm glad Drew put his own stamp on One Away.

I'm pretty busy this week, so I don't know if I'll be able to watch much, but I'm looking forward to seeing more shows. I think Drew'll be a good choice.